Author Topic: Gee Roy, it sure is quiet around here!  (Read 60769 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Gee Roy, it sure is quiet around here!
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
hello...

Working on a few fuzz pedals to see what their optimal voltage is.

Got a variable DC power supply, hook up a fuzz and an oscilloscope and fine watch what the variation in voltage does to the actual waveform is pretty cool.

this one is the coolest.

That's just the waveform for the low E. 
This is a stock mini big muff fuzz at 5.2v.  Changes the character to a singing fuzz (ala David Gilmour comfortably numb).

My voodoo labs pedal power PS has 1 or maybe 2 variable ports to simulate a low battery.  Played with it a bit when I first got the PP.  I don't have any fuzz pedals, which are the ones most likely to benefit.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:24 PM »
Tell you that is a great investment.  I can now totally calculate the amount of power I want to provide to the pedal based on how it sounds and the clipping waveform.  I can see with the spectrum analyzer when the unwanted harmonics go below audible level.  At 5.2 Volts, the Big Muff turns into a slightly clipped boost pedal with creamy and rich sustain.  Turns the pedal into a different monster.  On a different note, the octavix really doesn't like low voltage at all, just kind of gates off.   The green silicon fuzz doesn't do a dang thing.

Also very useful to determine overdrive pedals that do well with increased voltage.  The paisley drive sounds beautiful at 17.3v.  Cant isolate that on a power supply but can get 18.   If I could dial that it at 17.3 it would be a killer pedal.  For some reason over 17.3 get a little more compression. I pushed it to 20.0v and it just got loud and squashy after 18.   

Interesting to also see what kind of draw pedals have.  Most of the fuzz pedals are 5ma or less draw. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 06, 2015, 12:17:33 PM »
shh.  the end of the world is coming, the bears won a game.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 06, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »
Tell you that is a great investment.  I can now totally calculate the amount of power I want to provide to the pedal based on how it sounds and the clipping waveform.  I can see with the spectrum analyzer when the unwanted harmonics go below audible level.  At 5.2 Volts, the Big Muff turns into a slightly clipped boost pedal with creamy and rich sustain.  Turns the pedal into a different monster.  On a different note, the octavix really doesn't like low voltage at all, just kind of gates off.   The green silicon fuzz doesn't do a dang thing.

Also very useful to determine overdrive pedals that do well with increased voltage.  The paisley drive sounds beautiful at 17.3v.  Cant isolate that on a power supply but can get 18.   If I could dial that it at 17.3 it would be a killer pedal.  For some reason over 17.3 get a little more compression. I pushed it to 20.0v and it just got loud and squashy after 18.   

Interesting to also see what kind of draw pedals have.  Most of the fuzz pedals are 5ma or less draw.

That's pretty cool. Voltage make a huge difference, especially in a fuzz. I put a bias knob on the ones that I've built so you can sweep it a find your own sweet spot. The bias only tweaks the voltage on the second transistor though. It's kinda fun to starve it and get that spitty/bit crusher/Atari thing going on.....

Most of your overdrive pedals don't draw very much current. Choruses and delays need MORE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 06, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »
shh.  the end of the world is coming, the bears won a game.

And the Cubs are playing post-season!!!   The end is nigh!

Last year, the Chiefs were pretty good.  This year, not so much.  Watched parts of a couple games, so far.  I think I'm done for this season.  The Green Bay game-- Chiefs were totally outclassed.  No offensive line.  QB playing run for your life every play.  Packers walked over our defense.  Couldn't even watch the whole game.  I'll be spending my Sunday afternoons on something else!   Go Royals!

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 07, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
So far this year I see Green Bay winning the Super Bowl...
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 08, 2015, 02:51:55 AM »
The cubs cannot win this thing.  Its just     wrong

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 19, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »
Hi Duke! I just LOVE your little cowboy thingie!!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:34:33 PM by DannyDV8 »

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 19, 2015, 01:26:23 PM »
Maybe he'll love yours too !
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:47:32 PM by BH »
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 19, 2015, 11:37:51 PM »
had a two day seminar ... man I am glad to be back home.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 20, 2015, 10:52:21 PM »
Took a couple days off to burn some leave, and get my boat out of the water.  It hasn't been out of the water in 7 years.  Time for new bottom paint this spring, and a nice winter dry out and rest on the hard.

Had to cross the lake to meet the guys at the boat ramp at 11am.  39 degrees, with 20 knot winds blowing up the lake.  3 ft chop.  At least the boat ramp was in a fairly protected cove.  The trip across was brisk!  Watched a family of eagles (mom, dad, and 1 offspring) fly around and fish.

Kind of off the grid, when I'm down there.  I had a dinner at a cafe across the road from this spot, last night.  Then headed back to the boat, for a 30 degree night in my mummy bag, with a little help from the electric heater.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:56 PM »
On a lighter note, Since the VW emissions scam we apparently got lucky and missed the cutbacks

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/Chattanooga-Escapes-Volkswagen-Cuts/rgDLqR9AkUe26CRtD_UR_w.cspx?rss=3457

We already build the Passat and a new plant is under construction for a new full size hybrid SUV
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:39:58 PM by BH »
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 28, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
We had thanksgiving dinner at the Chattanooga Choo Choo with my son and his wife.

We been in Gatlingurg since yesterday, its eat drink and be merry time !

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:04:07 PM by BH »

Blueshonky  2013

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
man... everybody ok???

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 03, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
M'kay, m'kay?