Author Topic: Gee Roy, it sure is quiet around here!  (Read 66033 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Gee Roy, it sure is quiet around here!
« Reply #690 on: June 20, 2017, 02:46:01 AM »
Hope you all are doing well.  Kinda quiet around here.  I just got back from a 10 day trip to Sea School in Bayou LaBatre, AL.  Passed my captain's license test.  Pretty cool experience.  Stayed in dorm, as there were no motels/hotels nearby.  The dorm was free, and they feed you three hot meals a day.  Most of the guys there were working on barge/tug/tow jobs, looking to advance.  Some worked on supply boats for oil platforms.  And others were getting set up to do fishing charters.  Instructor spent 30 years in the navy, as skipper of a lot of big vessels.  Lots of sea stories.  Class of twenty two guys, and most of us were staying in the dorm.  So, 10 hours class (7:30 - 17:30) lunch and dinner.  Then we were all studying in in ad hoc groups.  Big screened in patio with picnic tables (90% smokers).  Drove there and back from KC, 14 hours each way.  On the way there stopped in Mobile, AL.  On the way back, spent the night in downtown Memphis.  Had dinner down on Beale St.  Got to love it when all the waitresses call you sweetie, darling, etc.

Just before my trip, I picked up a Traveler  AG-450 EQ travel guitar.  This little thing is a blast.  The neck is absolutely full size.  Headless with screw tuners at the far end of the body.  Built in tuner, headphone jack, input for play-along music.  And the acoustic volume is huge.  I swear it is louder than my full dreadnaught size Breedlove.  It has the punch-you-in-the-chest thing like my old J-45.  And it visibly resembles the J-45 a lot.  I got to play it on my trip a lot.  At home, it is becoming my go to.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 13, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »
We just signed a contract to sell our house.  Closing Sept 15.  So, we will be intentionally homeless in a month!  Exciting times. 

We found a perfect buyer.  We are going 'by owner', not even a 'buyers agent'.  Better price for buyer, better proceeds for seller.  Also, they left most of their belongings behind in their last house, so they are perfectly fine with leaving most everything.  That eliminates our need to have a final 'estate sale' push to get rid of furniture.  Most everything else is already pared down.

We were excited while we were selling/giving away belongs in the early summer.  As we shifted to 'selling the house', we kind of got into the doldrums.  Then BAM, contract, closing date, etc.  Nothing is foolproof till closing has happened, but the deal looks really good, and both sides are very committed to making this happen smoothly.  They have already used our address when signing their kids up.

I am switching off my old ISP email address to a new gmail (rich.reavis.kc@gmail.com).  What a pain, to figure out all the places that I am connected to, via that old email!  Figuring out mail hold/forward services, banking without physical address, etc.  RV'ers work through these same issues.

A little later in the year that I thought.  But, the upside is Hurricane Season ends in October, so the scenario of becoming a new boat owner, then immediately facing a hurricane is very unlikely now.   And we have the freedom to stay south, as we choose.

Time to make a final push to unload the rest of my music gear that is not going.  A friend of mine opened a music store a few months ago.  He will gladly consign whatever I don't sell before I leave.  Just chewing through all the to-do's.  A bunch of little issues, but they are all very workable. 

Planning on taking my Traveler AG 450, and my strat.  That Traveler is a blast to play on.  Small pedal board (I still have to cobble together), and my Quilter mini head.  I think I am going to sell of my Epi 1x12, I've been using.  I had thought about getting a small Orange cab with an 8" speaker.  But, I think I will wait till the real need for a cab arises.  We will be living out of a minivan, and various motel/hotel/airbnb/etc.  Space will be tight!  Taking whatever clothing, tools, boat gear, that we will continue to own.  I find myself saying "no room on the ark for that!".  What a great problem to have.

I plan to keep in touch, but internet access may be spotty at best.  Not necessarily a bad thing!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 14, 2017, 05:04:05 AM »
Cool, don't be the nice guy and let them move in before you close.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 17, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
Cool, don't be the nice guy and let them move in before you close.

They are living with the husband's Mom, 1-2 miles from me.  They are OK there, and can take as long as they need to move (after 9/15).  So, I don't see them wanting in early.  If anything, we might be in a position where we are not out in time, and would rent back from the new owners.  Working hard to make sure that doesn't happen.

We probably will not be out till the day before we close!  So much to do!   Hauled a load of old paint/solvents/herbicides/pesticides to our local Hazardous Waste dropoff site.  Selling my PA on Saturday.  For my next trick, I will be weaning off of my desktop computer!  Moving everything to my laptop, and a few big standalone hard drives.  Also, setting up a mail forwarding/scanning service and switching mailing address.  Changed to a portable email address earlier.  Lots of odd stuff to think about!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 31, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
I got an iPhone 7plus last year and the only time I do the pic anymore is business accounting. If I put my quickbooks in the cloud, I can handle that with the iPhone. I'm am now one of those people with my head in the device all day.

Good luck with your new life !

Getting the toys set up at the new place. I got 4 mics and I also attached the focusrite 2 channel pre amp the line 6 pod pro and the BBE bass preamp in the remaining  4 slots on the 8 channel interface

https://www.facebook.com/danelamons/posts/1500272333344325
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:15:45 PM by BH »
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 30, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »
Gee Roy, it sure is quiet out there!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 08, 2017, 05:00:02 AM »
Crickets and frogs

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 11, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 12, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »
The amps  turned off 
The guitars put down
Not a bluesman in the house

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 19, 2017, 02:10:35 AM »
I've been studying a lot, trying to build my chops   My health problems are holding their usual pattern.  The bone infection came back, why wouldn't it?  I elected to go with suppression therapy, and taking a relatively easy to tolerate antibiotic for probably the rest of my life as opposed to getting cut on again, especially considering both of the last two surgeries never healed completely, and the bone infection still came back.  I've been playing in the studio some, helping some guys I've known all my life put out a CD.  I'll stick a couple of cuts in your FB message box.  That's about all that's going on with me.  I play out a couple of times a month, it's something to do .....