Author Topic: Rip George Jones RIP  (Read 3687 times)

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Rip George Jones RIP
« on: April 26, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »
 He toured up until the end . He was my favorite Country performer.  He stopped loving Her Today
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Rip George Jones RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
Rest in peace
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:14:22 PM »
The greatest country blues singer to ever live.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »
Perhaps he's just playing opossum?  (For you younger guys, his nickname was the opossum)

I can listen to George until the wheels fall off.  He was a crazy, crazy man though, but there was never a better country singer, EVER!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:37:15 PM »
Yeah, he was one of my Dad's favorites.   Bartender Blues is part of my acoustic repertoire.  Think I'll break it out on Saturday night.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Perhaps he's just playing opossum?  (For you younger guys, his nickname was the opossum)

I can listen to George until the wheels fall off.  He was a crazy, crazy man though, but there was never a better country singer, EVER!

Just Possum not opossum. You must be thinkin of Brown he's just a big opuss
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:09:43 PM by BH »

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »
You're thinkin' of the hillbilly dictionary, my precious BROTHER!  Any of you guys ever see the viddy of old George getting a DUI on a riding lawnmower.  He was married to Tanya Tucker, and she'd hidden the keys to all the cars, so he jumped on the lawnmower and was going to the liquor store when the cops got him.  Ther cops dash cam caught the whole thing!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »
You're thinkin' of the hillbilly dictionary, my precious BROTHER!  Any of you guys ever see the viddy of old George getting a DUI on a riding lawnmower.  He was married to Tanya Tucker, and she'd hidden the keys to all the cars, so he jumped on the lawnmower and was going to the liquor store when the cops got him.  Ther cops dash cam caught the whole thing!

Not Tanya ! It was Tammy Wynette who hid his keys, so he drove the lawnmower to the liquor store.

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »
As I've mentioned on several occasions, I'm always wrong!  But, yes, you're right about that< it was Tammy, not Tanya.  He also used to get drunk, pull out his pistol and start shooting out the chandeleers.  Hell of a ding dang deal.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:47:38 AM »
As I've mentioned on several occasions, I'm always wrong!  But, yes, you're right about that< it was Tammy, not Tanya.  He also used to get drunk, pull out his pistol and start shooting out the chandeleers.  Hell of a ding dang deal.

I know my George. When it comes to cover tunes, his are the ones I know the best.

He stopped loving her today is the saddest song ever written. Then you got Vern Gosden,  Chiseled in Stone that's a damn close second.

My favorite George is, The Race Is On.

George Jones - The Race Is On

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:10:47 AM »
I do a couple of versions of The Race is on, one not too different from this, and another kind of Johnny Winter style that pulls the nails right up outta the floor boards.  I'll probably break that one out at "After 5" Tomorrow night.  I do "He stopped Loving Her Today" quite a lot.   It's pretty much regarded as the most popular country tune ever recorded.  One things for sure, George sold more beer in his life than those Clydesdales ever did!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 04:26:31 AM »
I do a couple of versions of The Race is on, one not too different from this, and another kind of Johnny Winter style that pulls the nails right up outta the floor boards.  I'll probably break that one out at "After 5" Tomorrow night.  I do "He stopped Loving Her Today" quite a lot.   It's pretty much regarded as the most popular country tune ever recorded.  One things for sure, George sold more beer in his life than those Clydesdales ever did!

My Dad was a truck driver, and into country music.  Watched the Grand Ole Opry and Hee Haw with him.  When I started playing guitar and getting into rock music, he tried to sway me back into country music.  He knew that I thought of country artists as a bunch of hicks in polyester.  When rock musicians had scandals with drugs and whatever, reputations as badasses-- my Dad would say if you want to see badasses, check out Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and George Jones.   Just as wild as any of your rock guys.

In the 70s, his sideline business was buying used CB radio gear and car stereo gear, and building them into portable cases for truckers who worked for truck lines who didn't put anything but an AM radio in their trucks.   Man I can still see the 8 track cartridges of George and Tammy.

Like a lot of things, I had to learn to appreciate country music on my own.  If my Dad were alive today, I'd take him to a good honky tonk show at Knuckleheads(Merle played there last year, and Ray Price), and we'd have a few drinks and a great time.

He loved Porter Wagonner, Earnest Tubb, Cannonball,George Jones/Tammy Wynette.   Turned me on to Chet Atkins and Roy Clark.

Maybe my Dad will be seeing No Show Jones now.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 05:08:33 AM »
It was my Dad that got me started playing guitar when I was just a little kid, like 5.  I got discouraged for a number of years because I didn't realizr the strings weren't really supposed to be a half inch off of the neck..  He was as redneck as it gets.  He sounded more like Ernest Tubb than Ernest Tubb.  We'd sit around several nights a week and belt 'em out.  By the timje I was 14 or so, we got some playable guitars around the house, and we really got into it together.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »

The Band Sawyer Brown recorded a rockin version of it. But they ain't George

Sawyer Brown 'The Race is On'

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
We'll never see the likes og George Jones again, on any level!