Author Topic: I Tore My Whole Pedal board Apart  (Read 1576 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
I Tore My Whole Pedal board Apart
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:02:27 AM »
...and started over from scratch.  When my old board was stolen, I was pretty much broke, (as i still am) and so I started out with a DS-1 and went from there.  Later on I got an MXR Classic Overdrive, and Classic Distortion, and a Pedal Train, and had Jeremy mod the DS-1 As things came, they pretty much went on the board in the order I bought them in, haphazardly at best, and the patch chords were all the cheapest thing I could find because it was either that or nothing.  (Linda's illness has me pinned up against the wall in many, many ways, and I'm not really able to get out there and chase the ball like I normally would.)  The board has malfunctioned three or four times when I was able to get out and play, so today I finally claimed some time for little 'ol me, tore it down to the nubs, and started over.  I couldn't get the best patch cords, but I got nine Planet waves patch chords, which are a Hell of a lot better than the brand X crap that I had, I gave the Ibanez DE7 the boot, as it isn't true bypass, and it was totally sucking tone when it was off.  I rigged it up so I can use just the first row of pedals which consists of a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, into my JK-1, into the MXR Classic Overdrive, into the MXR Classic Distortion, into a Lovepedal Superlead, into a BBE AM 64 distortion that I picked up for a song when GC was blowing them out for next to nothing.  I really like it quite a lot,  I can leave it at that, or I can run a patch up to the next row, which right now only consists of a Boss (I know, no true bypass) '65 Deluxe Reverb Amp pedal, into a BBE Sonic Stomp, into a Seymour Duncan Deja Vu Tap Delay.  I don't really use it for echo, but you can get a killer leslie speaker effect out of it.  As time goes by I hope to add a couple of goodies to the whole ball of wax, but for right now, all of the bugs seem to be worked out of it.  I tightened all of the jacks, and hopefully I can just plug in and play now.  And so it goes.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: I Tore My Whole Pedal board Apart
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:19:48 AM »
Do you got a pic? 

I generally tear my pedalboard apart every two weeks.  I am never happy . . . .
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:55:43 AM »
I don't have the software to go from my camera to this computer.  If I can get a picture of it I can scan it and put it up.  I'm still planning on doing some more stuff with the board.  I'm on the fence about the Boss pedal, I'd like a decent chorus, I use it on a lot of the country stuff I do.   I fight with the Lovepedal a lot.  If I slow dance enough with it, it sounds great, but then in the middle of the night, the pedal gnomes come and change all the settings on the damned thing while I'm sleeping, and it sounds like crap again.  Right now the important thing to me is that the stuff works dependably, which would seem to be the case now. (Famous last words)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
I don't have the software to go from my camera to this computer.  If I can get a picture of it I can scan it and put it up.  I'm still planning on doing some more stuff with the board.  I'm on the fence about the Boss pedal, I'd like a decent chorus, I use it on a lot of the country stuff I do.   I fight with the Lovepedal a lot.  If I slow dance enough with it, it sounds great, but then in the middle of the night, the pedal gnomes come and change all the settings on the damned thing while I'm sleeping, and it sounds like crap again.  Right now the important thing to me is that the stuff works dependably, which would seem to be the case now. (Famous last words)

Musicians Friend Stupid Deal of the Day, yesterday, was BBE Mind Bender Chorus/Vibrato for $29.   I tried to order one, but they were already sold out.  I am using a Boss CE5 chorus (used sparingly).   It is OK, but probably one of the weakest links in my PB, and an upgrage target.   The regular price for the BBE is $149, and at that price you can probably find something better.  But at $29, it would have been worth a try.   Also some mixed reviews on the BBE, with people complaining about it adding noise or gain/OD.  Of course some of the people who have nothing better to do than write reviews, are idiots.  I count many bad reviews as "likely operator error."

FWIW, my pretty streamlined setup is volume pedal, OCD, Lovepedal OD11, CE5 Chorus, MXR CC Delay, powered by voodoo labs pedal power.   The volume pedal is mostly because I use my Les Paul in the middle pickup position a lot, and that makes tough to control the volume with the guitar vol-- as that shifts the pup balance, and drastically changes the tone.

The OD11 is always on.  The OCD is only for "more".  For my sound and my rig, I'm not crazy about the OCD by itself, but stacked before the OD11, it makes a great not-so-clean boost.

I haven't played through a LP Superlead, so no idea how it compares to the OD11.

Yep, dependability is critical.  The last thing I want to deal with on a gig, is setting up my rig, and nothing comes out.   My bass player has this Digitech bass mfx thing.  It was broken when we started playing together, then he got it fixed.   I prefer it broken.  A couple gigs back, he had some bad hum and noise, and I walked over and bypassed the Digi box, and magic-- no hum or noise, and better, fuller sound.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 03:07:08 PM »
I tried to get the Mind Bender at midnight when they put it up, but MF has new hours now, and they don't start taking orders until 5:00 AM, and so by the time I woke up, they were sold out,and had gone on to something else.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
I tried to get the Mind Bender at midnight when they put it up, but MF has new hours now, and they don't start taking orders until 5:00 AM, and so by the time I woke up, they were sold out,and had gone on to something else.

you go on the g&l forum, do a weekly lunch report and you get a free bbe pedal. i told you guys this before, but nobody has acted on it.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
I'll have to check that one out!