Author Topic: Lil' Help?  (Read 3186 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Lil' Help?
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:21:36 AM »
I want to find the best A/B Y pedal for the money.  I can't really spend a small fortune on the thing, but I want something that isn't going to make a lot of snap and pop when I'm switching, and something that won't make glitches in my sound.  Any suggestions?  I've heard that the Morley A/B Y channel switcher is good, but on the other hand, I heard someone say it sucks a lot of tone.  What's really going on?

It would probably help if I told you what I'm trying to do.  I've set up one row of effects on my pedal board primarily to play lead through, a second row of effects primarily for rhythm, but I want to be able to use some of the effects on the rhythm side with the lead side.  That's where the A/B Y comes in.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:32:18 AM by DannyDV8 »
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Lil' Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
you might want to give a diagram of what you want to do, from your description an a/b y pedal won't do the trick. you want lehle, whatever you need.

Jooj

• Superhero BAB contributor
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
Here's a not so conventional solution...I fiddled around with using an Ernie Ball Stereo Pan/Volume pedal to switch/blend between effects routing, amps, and amps with 2 inputs (like a Super Reverb, Twin, etc.). It worked pretty well and made for some interesting setups and sounds.

Another great option would be something like the Little Lehle II - it can do just about anything. Excellent reviews:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleLehle

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »
I figure with the Y feature I can run either one bank of effects, another, or both into the same output of the amp if I put the A/B Y after every thing.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:42:19 PM »
I figure with the Y feature I can run either one bank of effects, another, or both into the same output of the amp if I put the A/B Y after every thing.

and how do you separate the input of the effects? diagram what you want, or you'll end up scratching your head when you buy something. you're gonna need a lehle splitter front.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:57 PM »
With the A/B Y, you can run it backwards, at least with the Morley, and say if we were looking at the letter "Y", you could run one row into the left half of the top of the letter, one row into the right half of the top of the letter, and they both come out the bottom of the letter "Y".  Using the A/B or both, you can have one row or the other, or both.  The problem is that I heard one person say that you can lose a lot of signal doing this.  The other problem is that it may have been Beaker saying it.  I've never used an A/B box before, so I'm asking you guys.  Whadaya think?

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:35:46 PM »
I can run the board just as it is, but I'm trying to avoid going through the Boss pedal at all when using the overdrives, distortions, yadda, yadda at all, while having the Boss Fender pedal set up for a punchy rhythm sound, which is the one thing the Super Champ lacks by itself.  I still want to be able to route the distortion pedals through the Sonic Stomp, and the Deja Vu, which are on the same row as the Boss Pedal.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:22:19 AM »
danny, diagram it, what you are thinking will not get it done. you can reverse run an a/b pedal, the lehle will not lose signal. but you are running the two rows of effects parallel not series like you would normally. you are also having an issue of separating the inputs. your best solution is to put the boss pedal into a true bypass looper and always leave it on, control it by turning the loop on and off.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:33:35 AM »
That would solve the problem well enough.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:22:43 AM by DannyDV8 »

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:00:30 AM »
That [iwould][/i] solve the peoblem well enough!

it's best to post what you want to achieve, not how you want to achieve it, you'll get better advice.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »
As I said, what I'm trying to do is get the board towhere I can have one row of effects, or another row of effects, or both rows.  However, if I can get the first row of stuff going through the Sonic Stomp, and the Deja Vu, without going through the Boss pedal, that would be good as well.  Everything on the board besides the Boss pedal, and the JK is true bypass.  The JK-1 doesn't seem to suck a lot of tone.  At any rate, I'm going to see if I can send it to him and have him make it true bypass if he has time to mess with it.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »
As I said, what I'm trying to do is get the board towhere I can have one row of effects, or another row of effects, or both rows.  However, if I can get the first row of stuff going through the Sonic Stomp, and the Deja Vu, without going through the Boss pedal, that would be good as well.  Everything on the board besides the Boss pedal, and the JK is true bypass.  The JK-1 doesn't seem to suck a lot of tone.  At any rate, I'm going to see if I can send it to him and have him make it true bypass if he has time to mess with it.

that would require 2 loop pedals. one row in one loop, other row in other loop. the a/b box is not a solution for this.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:42 AM »

Honestly one pedal that is not true bypass shouldn't make that much difference.  Unless you hear a difference with the buffer, i'd leave it.  I didn't loop my JK-ds-1 on my second board
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 01:42:32 AM »
or get something excessive like this

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 02:11:15 AM »
That's really more like it, something that will take up the entire board, and impress the Hell out of the average layman.  I could just set it up on the floor and run some wires, and not plug ANYTHING into it!