Author Topic: Sick amp, once again...  (Read 3552 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Sick amp, once again...
« on: May 24, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »
 :'(

My second amp, the Rebel 20, crapped out.  Likely capacitor issue.   Developed a loud hum.   Guitar sound that comes through,  modulates the hum, so that it almost sounds like a fuzztone.   Crapped out while we were trying out a potential drummer.   I plugged the output from my pedalboard into the PA.   Worked amazingly well.   Since I've been using my amp clean, and dialing in the dirt from pedals, it didn't really make that much difference.   A great plan B, or plan C, when I carry an extra head.

Swapped power tube pairs out, and no change.  Tried swapping all preamp/rectifier tubes, and no change.  (Pretty much the end of what I can fix.)

Dropped off at my tech's last night.  As I described it to him, he said "Hum is usually going to be ground or a cap.   And since this comes and goes, and the sound modulates through it, I'm betting on it being a capacitor."

So, hopefully it will be quick, easy fix for him.

Primary amp, Rebel 30, is working great.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Sick amp, once again...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Change both of their names to FENDER and they'll both work fine all the time!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:04:14 PM »
Change both of their names to FENDER and they'll both work fine all the time!

Might be looking for something else, but have to recharge the gear kitty.   Kitty hungry.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:21:58 AM »
Seems like what you save in repairs the first year ought to cover the price of a nice Deluxe!  I really like that red one they're making with the black side panels.  KILLER TONE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »
Seems like what you save in repairs the first year ought to cover the price of a nice Deluxe!  I really like that red one they're making with the black side panels.  KILLER TONE!

I haven't spent THAT much on repairs.  But in the Fender product line, the Deluxe is where I'd land.  I could even go with the clean Deluxe, as I have pedals that can do a good job of adding dirt to a clean amp.  But a cranked Tweed, could also be fun.

Just a pipe dream at this point.  Though, I did have two gigs come looking for me this morning.   Funny how when I get discouraged and quit hustling gigs-- the gigs start looking for me.

Long range... but I am thinking about replacing one of the Egnaters.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
I have an '83 Fender Concert, beat to death:  Never been in the shop.
'83 Super Champ:  One trip to the shop, cold solders.
'93 Blues Deluxe:  One trip to the shop, cold solder
'93 Blues DeVille: Never been to the shop.

These are the amps I gig with, and I've had 20-30 years out of all of them, for less than $150. in repairs.  The Concert Amp still has all the original tubes in it except for the reverb tube!  I did replace one resister in it, but I did that myself, and I replaced the original Speaker with a JBL K120.  I've had scores of Fender amps over the years, and I don't remember any of them ever going into the shop.  I had one old Twin Reverb that the joints were so loose on, that if you pushed it one way or the other, you could make it look like a parallelogram.  It still worked fine when I sold it.  I've blown some speakers over the years, that's about it.  I started using Fenders in 1965.  That's something to think about in terms of reliability.

ecgitar

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
I still have the same tubes in my Mesa Boogie Tremoverb.   Since they don't have tube testers at drug stores anymore and I don't have one, how often should I replace the tubes?

Yep, Danny I am still kicking myself selling my original 1965 Deluxe Reverb and a 1965 Baseman head way back!!!  I went through many tubes on that Baseman head, I blew the speaker in the Deluxe Reverb which I replaced and some tubes.   I also sold a Vintage Fender Reverb Tank ( brown tweed).  Who new????
The Blues Rules and so does Clapton.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
By the way, I went to a jam on Saturday.   Had my amp with me, but the guest guitar spot had a Fender.  At first I thought it was a Blues Jr., so I was going to get my amp, but then I saw it said Deluxe on the front; so I thought-- hey I should test drive this thing.   Sounded real good, and I really didn't spend any time dialing it in.

I've been trying to ID it, but coming put empty.

Looked kind of like a Hot Rod Deluxe, or Deville.   

It is grey, a 1x12 combo with controls on the top.   Said "Deluxe" on the front.  All the similar Fender amps I have looked usually say "Fender" on the front.   The only matching picture I found was for an extension speaker cabinet.

The Deluxe Reverbs are usually either Tweed or Blackface aren't they?   Can't seem to find any Deluxe that looks like this one.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:07 AM »
If it would help, I'd kick ya, but it wouldn't, so I won't......this time.  They don't make a Deluxe with a grey skin that I'm aware of, some one probably got artsy-craftsy with the Tolex.  The Fender amp they're making that I'm in love with these days is the new Hot Rod Deluxe III, with the red and black Tolex.  I haven't even tried the dirty channels, but the clean channel is to die for!  If I were you, I wouldn't try one out unless you have a few bucks to throw around, or you'll be gassin' as bad as I am.  I went with one of my students to help him pick out a new amp, and I played one note through the thing, and was hooked.  I played it for a few minutes, and was more in love by the minute!  He got his, I didn't get mine!

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:01:19 AM »

the hot rod deluxe says fender deluxe on the front. here is a grey one. the dirty channel is pretty lacking, but the clean channel is great.  rich, go for a redplate, or a two rock studio 22.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 07:07:52 AM »
That's not grey, it's the brown Tolex like Fender was using in 1962.  It's great looking, to be sure, and the hot channel ain't so hot, just a little boost.  If I were bucks up, I'd jump ship and go for the Red Plate dealio myself.  Dream on......

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »
Fender will do limited runs of the hot rod amps through GC/MF ...just cosmetic changes. That might be what it was. I played through a 2rock studio at a jam and it was killer! Un real how big that little amp sounds. Not sure Id pay $3g for it though. I would hunt down a used boutique fender clone over buying a new hot rod amp. Build will be 10x better for about the same scratch.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
I'm hunting down a swart AST ...I'm dying to try one out. As much as I like my Vibroverb, it's just too much amp for the gigs I'm doing and I've got the itch for some tweed tones. Thinking about a 5e3 kit also..maybe mission kit. Just for those small gigs

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »
If it would help, I'd kick ya, but it wouldn't, so I won't......this time.  They don't make a Deluxe with a grey skin that I'm aware of, some one probably got artsy-craftsy with the Tolex.  The Fender amp they're making that I'm in love with these days is the new Hot Rod Deluxe III, with the red and black Tolex.  I haven't even tried the dirty channels, but the clean channel is to die for!  If I were you, I wouldn't try one out unless you have a few bucks to throw around, or you'll be gassin' as bad as I am.  I went with one of my students to help him pick out a new amp, and I played one note through the thing, and was hooked.  I played it for a few minutes, and was more in love by the minute!  He got his, I didn't get mine!

Well, unless I have a windfall, I'll be in lust-only mode for awhile.   These days, the dirty channels don't seem to matter much to me.   A good clean with a good OD pedal suits me fine.   

(BTW: During one of my jam sets on Saturday, I had a 2nd guitar player, who brought up his crate v22, and used the dirty channel.   It was horrible, maybe mostly because of the way he dialed it in.  Tons of preamp OD and crazy fizzy.   I gave him solo slots, but it just sounded like a swarm of flies on his side of the stage.   When we were done, I told him I couldn't hear him because that heavy OD sound turns to mush in the mix.  I call it the bedroom syndrome.)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »

the hot rod deluxe says fender deluxe on the front. here is a grey one. the dirty channel is pretty lacking, but the clean channel is great.  rich, go for a redplate, or a two rock studio 22.

I thought it just said "Deluxe", rather than "Fender Deluxe".   But, it was dark and I was 25-30 feet away when I looked at it.   My attention was pretty scattered.   Hustling to get on and off stage quickly.   And I hadn't been to this jam in a few months, so a lot of catching up to do.

At first glance, I thought it was a Blues Jr., and I've had some bad experiences trying to use them playing live.  I've been to a few jams where someone had a BJ on stage and I just used it.   Just don't have the power to be heard, and the ones I've played on really crap out when they get cranked.   Maybe an OK practice amp.    After I was sure it wasn't a BJ, I decided to just plop my OD pedal in front of it and give it a whirl.  It was on the clean channel, whatever it was.  And worked well with the Lovepedal Amp11.

I've played through a Redplate a couple of times at jams.   A friend of mine owns one.   He plays a strat, and got a nice fat (for a strat) singing tone out of it.   I think it lives up to the hype and the price.

But for now, I would be lucky to scrape up 400-500, much less 2k-3k.