Author Topic: Seeing Richard Thompson tomorrow night!  (Read 1300 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Seeing Richard Thompson tomorrow night!
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »
Richard Thompson has been one of my favorites for a long time.   His electric trio tour is in town tomorrow, and the stars lined up just right so that I could go.   Its a sign!   Here is what a trio can sound like.   Yeah, this is educational, that's the ticket.  Can I deduct this?

A live RT fix sounds like just the thing.

Richard Thompson Electric Trio

On this one, guitar solo starts at 4:22

Richard Thompson Electric Trio - Can't Win - Rio, Vancouver, 2013-05-11

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:49:44 AM by RichR »

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing Richard Thompson tomorrow night!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
Well, RT always delivers!   It was a great show.   I've seen him solo a few times, with a full band, and now as trio.  He rocked the trio thing!

Here is the rig:

Pedals include a vintage modified DOD FX17 Volume/Wah/ TC Polytune/ Fulltone OCD/ TC Shaker Vibrato/ Malekko Tremelo/ TC Flashback Delay/ Voodoo Lab Power Supply.   (Actually, he had a Fuel Tank power supply on this board last night; and a Voodoo Lab on his Acoustic pedalboard.)

Used the OCD for the more knarly leads, much like I do.

He rotated through 3 strats.  And the Lowden acoustic.

Had 2 Blackface Deluxe Reverbs like this (one was a spare- nothing plugging into it, and it was switched off.):

Amazing hybrid(pick plus 3 fingers) right hand technique.

Drummer and bass player were excellent, and perfectly dialed into the trio act.   Lots of backing vocal from the bass player, and some backing from the drummer.

Did a set with lots of stuff from new album.   Then RT came out with the acoustic, and took requests.   Then electric again, doing lots of older favorites.   Only non-RT song was Hey Joe (well, he also was goofing on Kansas City), and they hit it out of the park.

Also noticed that he stayed on the bridge pickup, except for Hey Joe (Got to use the neck pup for that!).

a2john

• Superhero BAB Member
  • Thems the Blues: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing Richard Thompson tomorrow night!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
Cool, would like to see him. While watching the Vancouver vid, did a pre order of Greg Koch's new disc. Looks like it will be cool, Joe B on the first track and Robben Ford on several. Greg is no slouch either  :)