Author Topic: Red Witch  (Read 6731 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Red Witch
« on: June 21, 2013, 03:14:33 AM »
Thanks to B. I just ordered a Red Witch Seven Sisters "Grace" compressor from MF.  They go for $99.99 but if you give them the code of"SUNFUN2013" they knock off $20. and it still ships for free.  You can run it off of a power all adaptor, or it comes with a rechargeable lith. battery that will run it for a couple of weeks on an overight charge.  It also has a very small footprint, which is good as I'm just about out of real estate on my pedal board. Thanks for the heads up Yo!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

Jooj

• Superhero BAB contributor
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Red Witch
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
Sounds cool Danny!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »
"Grace" was waiting for me when I got home from teaching today!  It's the smallest little pedal you could ever imagine, measuring an inch and three quarters by three and one quarter inches.  If all pedals were that small you could get about seventy-five of them on a Pedal Train Jr.  I'm getting ready to mount it and let it charge the lithium battery ovenight!  I can't wait to hear it!

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:19:46 AM »
"Grace" was waiting for me when I got home from teaching today!  It's the smallest little pedal you could ever imagine, measuring an inch and three quarters by three and one quarter inches.  If all pedals were that small you could get about seventy-five of them on a Pedal Train Jr.  I'm getting ready to mount it and let it charge the lithium battery ovenight!  I can't wait to hear it!

you can play, you don't have to charge it. the 7  7 sister pedals fit on a 12" board.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
I've got a bunch of 80 year old neighbors, and I didn't get home from teaching until late.  I've been filling in for man @ The Murrietta Academy of Music, giving drum lessons, and I taught until almost 9:00 tonight, and it was after 10:00 by the time I got home.   It was after 11:00 by the time I got done messing with the pedal board and moving stuff around.  I figured it couldn't hurt to let the battery charge over night.  I gave the Boss Fender Deluxe Pedal the axe, and now the only pedal without true bypass is the JK-1, which I'm going to ask Jeremy to modify.  Tomorrow will be soon enough to piss off the neighbors!   >:(

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 06:17:20 AM »
Finally got to fire it all up today, as I've been pretty busy as of late.  N I C E   ! ! !

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »
Finally got to fire it all up today, as I've been pretty busy as of late.  N I C E   ! ! !

the compression ratio is adjustable. the 2 knobs are threshold and volume (gain make up), and i like the factory setting for the compression ratio, but if you want to adjust it, it's on an internal pot. if you email the owner of redwitch, he gets back to you fast and tells you how to do it.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
I love it just the way it is!  Thanks for the heads up on this one 'ol Bud!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »
I got to use this thing at Chappies last night. WOW, what a game changer!  It pulled everything into focus, solved my volume versus tone problems, gave my tone lots 'o spank, tons of clarity.  I don't know how I ever got along without it.  What's up with the on/off switch?  I don't think it needs one.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
I got to use this thing at Chappies last night. WOW, what a game changer!  It pulled everything into focus, solved my volume versus tone problems, gave my tone lots 'o spank, tons of clarity.  I don't know how I ever got along without it.  What's up with the on/off switch?  I don't think it needs one.

on my board it never got turned off. compression all the way down, volume about 12 or 1. with the two rock, i have not tried it  yet.  the only pedal i have even plugged into the two rock is the timmy.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »
Yeah, you don't need to use very much compression at all for it to have a very profound effect!  I even kept the volume on it kind of modest, and I found I wasn't using my other pedals nearly as much either to achieve a waaaaay better tone than I've been getting in the past.  I also pulled my '93 Blues Deluxe out of mothballs, and I'm using that as my main amp now, and using the Super Champ as my back up.  The Deluxe was a little difficult to keep reined in before, now it's a piece of cake.  I'll probably give the old Blues Deville a shot pretty soon, see how that does.  Even though both those amps are 20 years old, they both only have about 100 hours or less on them!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »
Yeah, you don't need to use very much compression at all for it to have a very profound effect!  I even kept the volume on it kind of modest, and I found I wasn't using my other pedals nearly as much either to achieve a waaaaay better tone than I've been getting in the past.  I also pulled my '93 Blues Deluxe out of mothballs, and I'm using that as my main amp now, and using the Super Champ as my back up.  The Deluxe was a little difficult to keep reined in before, now it's a piece of cake.  I'll probably give the old Blues Deville a shot pretty soon, see how that does.  Even though both those amps are 20 years old, they both only have about 100 hours or less on them!

Where did you put it in your signal chain?   I have an old grey Ross compressor, which are now a hot vintage item.   I think it is noisy-hissy.  I should eBay it to someone in the market for some magic beans.   I would like to try a new compressor.   

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »
I put it dead last, where it could have control over everything, and that seemed to work like a charm.  If you go on the M.F. site you can usually get a code for $20.00 off on a $99.00 purchase, and that'll put this thing on your board for like $79.00.  It's worth every penny.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:49:30 PM »
I put it dead last, where it could have control over everything, and that seemed to work like a charm.  If you go on the M.F. site you can usually get a code for $20.00 off on a $99.00 purchase, and that'll put this thing on your board for like $79.00.  It's worth every penny.

you usually want the compressor to be the very first pedal in the chain. it amplifies the noise by the other pedals. if you never turn it off, the issue that it causes with delay and reverb goes away, but you will still interfere with the boost you'll get from drive pedals (if you want it).

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
So far no issues, and what I really liked about it is it brought the other pedals under control as well.  By the time I was getting a tone I liked, things were getting a little muddy, and loud as well.  That all went away.  It really cleaned up my act a LOT!  Just the same, it couldn't hurt to experiment a little.