Author Topic: Orange Micro Terror Tube swap and thoughts (part II).  (Read 1969 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Orange Micro Terror Tube swap and thoughts (part II).
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »
Remember when Yoso schooled me the difference between a mod and a tube swap?  Well I decided to see what it would be like if I had to do a gig with the backup amp?  I think I saw that others have a back up amp that you have, but have you ever practiced with it to see how it will play compared with your other amp?  Last night at band practice I did the whole practice with the Orange Micro Terror.

For my church type gigs, I use my Ibanez TS-15AH with matching 1x12.  (Seriously smooth tube amp)

First of all, still insanely loud.  I was able to keep up with the drummer with the amp at about 30%, with no sound reinforcement.  It was difficult to maintain a level volume and I found my self getting too loud quite often.  Tone was, amazing improvement.   It was not as smooth and nice as my TS-15AH but certainly useable and not brash and raspy like before.  Almost want to find someone who has a 4x12 to plug into to see what it would do.  Left practice with my ears ringing.

I did do a clip with my IPAD before practice and may upload it later, but was recorded in the church and was too loud because there is way to much sound bouncing around in the clip.  The JK-DS-1 is an amazing addition to that amp too!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:25:43 PM by KenBJammen »
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Micro Terror Tube swap and thoughts (part II).
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 01:03:13 PM »
Here's that video.  I am not happy with a lot of the background noise and how I set the amp up.  I hope this can give you an idea of how the amp became less brashy.

First is clean

Second I kicked in the JK-DS-1 at about 25% gain. 

Orange Micro Terror Tube Swap Results
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Micro Terror Tube swap and thoughts (part II).
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
Here's that video.  I am not happy with a lot of the background noise and how I set the amp up.  I hope this can give you an idea of how the amp became less brashy.

First is clean

Second I kicked in the JK-DS-1 at about 25% gain. 

Orange Micro Terror Tube Swap Results

Nice clean sound, and platform for dirt pedals.   Should make a fine backup amp.