Author Topic: New mic on the way  (Read 4443 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
New mic on the way
« on: August 20, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »
After a good little string of gigs, my gear kitty is in good health again.  And my wife has finally landed a good job, after being unemployed since March.   Yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a new mic.  I ordered a Sennheiser 935.   The SM58 I've been using is fine.   But I sometimes have problems getting my voice to cut through. 

The SM58 has been the standard forever.  But surely there have been some improvements in mics in last 50 years or so.   At the Knuckleheads jam, they have been using Senns (don't know which one), and I really like sound of my voice and all other vocalists there.

Was looking hard at the Senn 835 ($100).   And most of the people who seemed to own/know both mics, thought the 935 was worth the extra $70 ($170).

Allegedly good 'cutting through' for softer voices, and good feedback rejection/gain before feedback.   Great off-axis consistency, which is good for someone playing guitar and singing, as my head turns to see my fretboard, or pedalboard.  Should be on my doorstep by Thursday or so.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: New mic on the way
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
Give us a report when you get it.

Going to have to replace the open mic mics soon.  I'll move the band mics to the open mic and replace what I have with my main PA.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
Give us a report when you get it.

Going to have to replace the open mic mics soon.  I'll move the band mics to the open mic and replace what I have with my main PA.

Out for delivery, so I will have it tonight.  Play with Laura tomorrow but there is house sound there.  Might slip it in if the soundman is cool with it.   Otherwise I will gig with it next weekend.   Got a night of woodshedding planned for tonight. So looking forward to trying it out.  I would like to compare to my sm 58, but it is not at home.  I can at least a/b it against an sm57.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
Wow.  New favorite mic for certain.  Senn 935.   I think the old reliable SM58 will be gathering dust as a backup from here on out.

I only had an SM57 at home to A/B with the Senn.   But it was night and day.   The Shure had a 'covered by a blanket' sound compare to the Senn.   The Senn also seemed to have more punch, and I could easily get more volume (mon and mains) before feedback.   I tried to eq the SM57 to match what I was getting out of the Senn.   But it just wasn't happening.

Very little proximity effect, and consistent sound at different distances and angles.   The difference between being off the mike a few inches, or having lips on the grille, was just a bit of volume.   I don't know why, but I like the flat grille front too.

I got to use it on a gig with Laura last night.  There was house sound, but the soundman didn't mind me swapping in my mic.  I sing a little back up with her.   But in the middle, I did 30 minutes solo.   So really got to put it through its paces.   Maybe it was just a mixture of things:  but people were really paying attention, hanging on every word.   I think the Senn is giving me a whole new level of vocal clarity.   I did She Left Me for Jesus, and people were cracking up.   I've never done a solo set where people were so "with me".  It was a rush.   Like, Oh, they are paying attention, I'm not just background noise for their bar conversation; better trot out the A game.

I think my voice is easily lost in the mix.   I've learned to cut some low midrange on my vocal to help clean it up (at least using the SM58).   And maybe my issue with the Shures is that I'm always eating the mic, and living in the proximity effect, which is pretty pronounced.

Just like when I bought the Senn 906, and pondered whether I'd have been just has happy with the 609...   I wonder if the Senn 835, would have been pretty much, just as good as the 935 or not.   One thing I've learned though-- I often regret cheaping out, but I almost never regret getting something a little better.   Buying a little better now might keep me from buying again in a year.   A better investment.  Something like that.

Got a rehearsal next week, and a gig Saturday night, and really looking forward!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:20:06 PM by RichR »

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
I'd like to compare it to the Beta 58 I just got!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
I'd like to compare it to the Beta 58 I just got!

I know the Beta's have a lot of fans.  And most of them say the same thing(as the Senn lovers) about the level of improvement over the old standards-- sm57/58.

Would you say the Beta was a big improvement over the old SM58?  Worth shelling out an extra $50-$70 on a mic (a long term investment.)

I'm thinking they would be in the same ballpark.

I have an irrational thing about the name "beta".   In the software development world, "beta" means you've got something new, but not quite sure its ready for prime time.   So you do a small, controlled release into the user community.   A beta test.   Beta makes me think "OK, when are they going to come out with the official release version."

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »
Yeah, the Beta "Blue" 58 is killer!

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »
I have not heard the 935. Glad you're happy with it, I think they make good stuff.

I've got the 835 in the wireless version. (It is the mic in my most recent music post)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
I have not heard the 935. Glad you're happy with it, I think they make good stuff.

I've got the 835 in the wireless version. (It is the mic in my most recent music post)

Still loving it.   I've always had a bit of a struggle to get my voice above a live mix.  This mic has been a great "equalizer".   In fact, in many situations, I found myself constantly eating my sm58 (because I couldn't hear myself well), which triggers the proximity effect which makes it bassier, and more likely to get lost in the mix. 

The Senn 935 just seems to always put out a louder clearer sound before feedback.   And much less proximity effect.   Much less change between on-axis and off-axis, which is good for someone who plays and sings, because you can't always park yourself at the optimum mic spot.  This is also the reason I didn't consider the (more pricey) 945-- it is supercardiod with a smaller sweet spot.  (But I kind of like the supercardiod thing of being able to put the monitor at an angle, instead of directly behind the mic.)

I struggled with the decision between the 835 and 935.  Likely, could have been just as happy with the 835.   But so many times on gear purchases, I've cheaped out on something, and regretted it; then replaced it later.  Went through the exact same thing on a guitar amp mic-- senn 609 vs. 906.   I think of gear purchases as something that I may use for 10 or 20 years.  And a $50 difference over that amount time, becomes tiny.

I haven't used a Shure beta, but I know a lot of people (including Danny), that sing their praises (through a beta 58.)

The other mic that seems to have a lot of love it or hate it buzz-- the Heil PR35.  But out of my price range.  And the detractors kind of scare me on this one.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm still loving the Beta, but I knew I would.  I had one for quite a few years that was stolen out of my car when all my effets got ripped off.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
rich, have you ever thought of changing the position of your soft palate to get more projection when singing? you can make you sinuses resonate if you raise the soft palate, and that improves projection a whole lot. it is amazing that almost all pop/rock singers sing from the throat, limiting their projection greatly. one of my clients teaches singing, he can sing over a p.a. no problem, and without any effort. he also doesn't use much air, he blows most of the air out before starting the phrase. his whole facial bone structure becomes a speaker that vibrates, a much more effective instrument than using the throat.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 04:08:25 AM »
here is a video. look at the mouth position. the key is keeping the upper lips down as much as possible, that moves the soft palette up.
Richard Fredricks - National Anthem

Richard Fredricks sings Granada

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
When you sing, if you can feel it in your throat AT ALL, you're going to hurt your voice.  That's a fact.  You want to open up all your chambers for projection and sing from your diaphragm.  The less air you are blowing out the better.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 01:40:04 AM »
When you sing, if you can feel it in your throat AT ALL, you're going to hurt your voice.  That's a fact.  You want to open up all your chambers for projection and sing from your diaphragm.  The less air you are blowing out the better.
that used to be what i thought too, but apparently it is rather different. they drop the diaphragm, and blow the air out before starting to sing. there is very specific movements of the tongue, the upper lip and the soft palette, to train those muscles to increase control. there is no separate headvoice either, it all gets used at the same time, and there is no break in the range either that way.

here is an example of pretty much everything going wrong with vocal technique. horrible tone, the tongue is back and down, the jaw and the throat tight as can be, straining to get up to the notes, the vibrato is horrible, it is flat, because it's under the note reaching up to it, and the coaches are fighting over her. she also made it pretty far, and none of the coaches offered her any advice on correcting her technical flaws. i just don't get it.

Kat Robichaud: "I've Got the Music in Me" - The Voice Highlight
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:27:02 AM by yosoytudios »

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 03:09:40 AM »
Once the throat tightens up, you're a goner.   Meanwhile if this chick goes anywhere at at she'll have polyps before she finishes a whole tour.  She's singing from her throat, and not from her diaphragm.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:04:50 AM by DannyDV8 »