Author Topic: New Hendrix Documentary to air on PBS tonight (11/5/13)  (Read 2193 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
New Hendrix Documentary to air on PBS tonight (11/5/13)
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »
Newly unearthed footage of Jimi Hendrix performing at the 1968 Miami Pop Festival will be revealed in the two-hour documentary American Masters: Jimi Hendrix Hear My Train a Comin', which airs tomorrow(article posted 11/4, so tomorrow is HERE.)  at 9 p.m. on PBS.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/the-jimi-hendrix-experience-rips-through-foxey-lady-in-1968-20131104#ixzz2joP0hbsa
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

My local listing in central time, shows it at 8pm.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New Hendrix Documentary to air on PBS tonight (11/5/13)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
He was still pretty much in one piece in '68.  after that he went downhill pretty quick.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
This is the best Hendrix doc I've seen, easily.  The sound quality is pretty bad in places, but the footage is worth it anyway.  Certainly Hendrix peaked with Electric Ladyland, and going into 1969, you see him starting to slop out, and wear out.  In the last pictures they show of him he looks to be a very old soul.  I'm glad I watched this.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
This is the best Hendrix doc I've seen, easily.  The sound quality is pretty bad in places, but the footage is worth it anyway.  Certainly Hendrix peaked with Electric Ladyland, and going into 1969, you see him starting to slop out, and wear out.  In the last pictures they show of him he looks to be a very old soul.  I'm glad I watched this.

It was good.   And it wasn't even PBS pledge drive! 

Seems like they kind of side-stepped Jimi's drug use.   To me, that is part of the story.   Maybe the price for the cooperation of the family?   I think they also whitewashed his military discharge.   I thought he was forced out for 'unsuitability'.   I think the broken ankle/medical discharge was a fabrication.  Maybe one started by Jimi.

I especially liked the segments with Eddie Kramer soloing individual tracks on some of the recordings!   Little wing = 3 or 4 guitar parts layered, clean, a little dirty, one through a leslie; and when you put it all together...   magic!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
He actuallly did break his ankle on a jump, and that's how he got out of the army.  As far as the drug use, they did mention that he was whaked on STP at the performance in Fla.  That part of his life is pretty well known by most.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »
The thing they didn't really touch on was how beat down he was by the promoters and the record company,, and how they zig zagged him across the country from the East coast to the West coast, haphazardly to do concerts, and how drug dragged he in fact got behind all of that.  In the Dick Cavett interview you get a bit of the fact that he wasn't happy with the money end of the whole deal, and how he was being handled.  I can tell you from personal experience that after 1968 it wasn't much fun to go and see him anymore.  In fact the first time I saw him was the best.  After that, each show had a little less sparkle, until the last time I saw him, which was pitiful.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »
The thing they didn't really touch on was how beat down he was by the promoters and the record company,, and how they zig zagged him across the country from the East coast to the West coast, haphazardly to do concerts, and how drug dragged he in fact got behind all of that.  In the Dick Cavett interview you get a bit of the fact that he wasn't happy with the money end of the whole deal, and how he was being handled.  I can tell you from personal experience that after 1968 it wasn't much fun to go and see him anymore.  In fact the first time I saw him was the best.  After that, each show had a little less sparkle, until the last time I saw him, which was pitiful.

At one point in the show, they did mention some of the crazy tour routes.   

I guess I didn't know his history that well.  I never knew that his first manager was Chas Chandler, the Animals old bass player.  And that Chas basically put on a suit and proclaimed himself a manager.   

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
Very good documentary. I was thinking about what Danny had said about him going south after 1968. Based on what they showed, I would have thought it was Woodstock, when he started to change personnel. I caught where they were saying he was getting tired of the "showmanship" and started gravitating toward blues. And yep, very cool seeing the 'remix' with Eddie Kramer, or him soloing the voice on Little Wing.

Electric Ladyland - the best. EVAR.  Band of Gypsys - not so much.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
I did see him lay an egg with The Experience as well.  By Woodstock, he was pretty much free falling.