Author Topic: Heart with Jason Bonham/Led Zep Experience  (Read 2495 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Heart with Jason Bonham/Led Zep Experience
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
Saw Heart and Jason Bonham's Zep Experience at Starlight Theater Sunday night.   Great outdoor concert.  I had known Heart was coming, and I kinda sorta wanted to see them.   When I found out about Bonham being on the bill, that made it a lot more attractive to me.

There were some good, inexpensive seats left, so I bit.

Zep configuration-- bass, guitar, drum, singer.   Singer's voice was dead-on early Plant.   Except, in a few spots he opted for a lower note, instead of the high note.   Guitar player, dead-on Page, maybe better.  Bass player locked in with Bonham.  Never noticed how Zeps bass/drum parts synced; often outside of the main rhythm.   Pretty much like seeing Zep at their best, or better.   Drums were mixed very hot in the mix, but I guess that's to be expected.

Heart was very good.  Ann hasn't lost any of her vocal ability.   For the last 30-45 minutes, Bonham and his guitar player joined in with Heart, and they did a bunch of Zep covers.   Good stuff.

Jooj

• Superhero BAB contributor
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Heart with Jason Bonham/Led Zep Experience
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
Sounds like a great show. Yeah, Zep's bass/drum combination is so good - love it. How was Nancy's playing?

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:04:31 PM »
Sounds like a great show. Yeah, Zep's bass/drum combination is so good - love it. How was Nancy's playing?

Nancy was playing solid electric rhythm.  Not very high in the mix.   Double leads were all the male guitarist as doublestops, or a recorded track.  N didn't really play lead.   Some nice acoustic work. And some mandolin.   

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
Saw that when they came through Denver. Bonham's band is quite good. Don't know how it came off to you Rich, but the mix for Heart was over the top loud (guitar leads were killin), for Bonham mix was exactly right.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:25:10 PM »
Saw that when they came through Denver. Bonham's band is quite good. Don't know how it came off to you Rich, but the mix for Heart was over the top loud (guitar leads were killin), for Bonham mix was exactly right.

I saw them outside (Starlight Theater).   Mix was pretty good for both.  Bonham Band mix was kind of drum heavy.  But I assume that is intentional.  I don't recall Heart's guitar leads being particularly loud.

A little harder to be 'too loud' outside.   I expect a live show to be somewhat loud.  But never though 'loud for sake of being loud' was musical.

Bonham band on the show is what got me there.  Probably wouldn't have gone, otherwise.   Really enjoyed them.  Heart was an easy sell for my wife, and they were very good, too.

chuckinator5k

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
I partied in a bar in Kansas City in the early 90's with Jason Bonham. Starlight is a great place to see a band. I saw Stevie Ray and Stray Cats there. Stevie died right after that along with Clapton's stage manager. I saw Clapton at Sandstone right after that happened. 2 of the best shows I've ever been to.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
We saw them at Fiddlers Green which is an outside venue. Maybe I was just inline with the high mid linear.  My wife got the tickets as a Groupon cause she really liked Heart. The Wilson's have maintained the voices pretty well. And their keyboard chick is pretty energetic.

But we both thought Bonhams band was better.