Author Topic: Saw Ronnie Baker Brooks last night!  (Read 1096 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Saw Ronnie Baker Brooks last night!
« on: August 26, 2013, 02:07:07 AM »
Went to the Paola Roots Festival last night and saw Ronnie Baker Brooks. 

(I wanted to go Friday, which featured Indigenous and Robert Randolph/Family Band; but couldn't go Fri.)

First time seeing RBB.   Killer Chicago blues, in a perfect configuration:  Hammond B3 with Leslies, Trombone, Sax, Bass and RBB on a black 335, or maybe 339.

Well, I guess there was no harp, but I didn't miss it.

It was their first gig with this band.   Great Chi blues, and some killer guitar work and vocals from RBB.

The fest itself was kind of cool, in that they allowed people to bring in "loaded" coolers.   It was held in the big park in the town square of Paola,KS.   about 30 miles south of KC.  Kind of rural.   No alcohol sold, but BYOB was fine.   They asked "no glass", but weren't checking.  Security walked around with plastic cups for anyone they found with glass.   Finally a night out without a bunch of over-zealous cops on overtime.

This was the 24th annual Roots Fest.   Some of the past alumni:  Joe Bonamasa, Eric Sardinas, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Los Lonely Boys.

Every time I've gone, its been $15/per day; or $25 for both.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Saw Ronnie Baker Brooks last night!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:05:05 AM »
I saw him years ago when I was still in Chicago. He was playing an outdoor gig with his dad, Lonnie. Either late teens or early 20s, and he held his own.