Author Topic: Blues Crackers @ After 5  (Read 3552 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Blues Crackers @ After 5
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
What can I say, my favorite little joint! September 28th
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
Re: Blues Crackers @ After 5
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
Getting ready to go and do this one.  Rocky hired our old bass player Jerry Cox to do this one with us because Rocky's going to be late.  Now I get a call from Jerry saying he's going to be late.  WTF?  I guess I'll be starting out solo, which I could have done when we were going to do it three piece.   :shifty:

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »
Play that funky music white boy and take all the money ! You deserve it !
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09:21 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with you, but what money?   ;)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
Getting ready to go and do this one.  Rocky hired our old bass player Jerry Cox to do this one with us because Rocky's going to be late.  Now I get a call from Jerry saying he's going to be late.  WTF?  I guess I'll be starting out solo, which I could have done when we were going to do it three piece.   :shifty:

Had to do that a couple of times.  My former drummer was horrible about forgetting some critical piece of his drum kit.  Either having to go back home; borrow something from a nearby drummer; buy something.   For instance, once he forgot his snare stand.   Bass drum pedal; some part of his cymbal hardware-- you name it.  He would be setting up, and start getting angry and looking around.   Acting like someone he had to have packed it, and it somehow is someone else's fault.  I told to stop the dramatic re-enactment on go get it.  And I also lectured him about how to tear down his kit, and check the room for anything left over.   

When my wife comes to close gigs, she drives separately and shows up near starting time.   So, I called her and said, bring my acoustic-- I'm starting solo.   After a few of these, I started just throwing it when I pack up, just in case.

Speaking of taking all the money.  My current drummer is also filling in with a couple of bands.  In one of them, the guy who brought the PA, took $100 off the top for that.   All I expect in return for that task is that everyone is there for all the setup and all the tear down.  My bass player has the easiest-- just his bass rig.  Then, he helps me with the PA and lights.   And the drums take about the same amount of time.   I guess that is a bargain for everyone else.   It also helps if you don't split the money up until everything is loaded.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
I learned that last dealio the hard way a long time ago.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
Another one in my back pages.  No one got hut too badly, the crowd was decent, my back is getting worse all the time.  So far there's not a lot happening in October.  It looks like Trails Too is going to stop booking music, he's just now drawing enough people.  A lot of the problem is that as much as I like Casey, he's the village drunk.  Hard times.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »
We're back @ After 5 tomorrow night.  Our old bass player Jerry Cox has been working with us again, and driving up from San Diego County to do it.  There's a new cat, Dana Haas playing drums.  It pretty much looks as if he's going to be Mann's replacement as Mann is just to busy to be relied on.  Dana plays his ass off and sings really well to boot, and fits the music like a glove.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 11:13:53 PM »
We're back @ After 5 tomorrow night.  Our old bass player Jerry Cox has been working with us again, and driving up from San Diego County to do it.  There's a new cat, Dana Haas playing drums.  It pretty much looks as if he's going to be Mann's replacement as Mann is just to busy to be relied on.  Dana plays his ass off and sings really well to boot, and fits the music like a glove.

Cool.  Have a good one. 8)

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »
As I've mentioned before, this is my favorite little joint to play, it's like stepping into a time capsule and going back to the '80s, when bars still rocked, and there was something besides rap on the jukebox.  The second time we played there they booked us for a whole year!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Another good old good 'un.  A good time was had by all.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
We were supposed to be here on the 14Th, somehow the booking got screwed up, and it's TONIGHT!  That's all fine, but Mann is already playing somewhere tonight, so I've been trying to find a drummer since 8:00AM...........Life is good! :yay!:

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
12:45...Found someone.  I'm not really sure why it falls to me everytime to clean up the poopie every time someone screws up a booking, but for one reason or another it's been happening every single time.  It's almost as if my hands aren't already full.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
WEll...

:smoke:

play it till she smoke.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
...........I reckon.