Author Topic: I Gots Ta Have It  (Read 3745 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
I Gots Ta Have It
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:10:07 PM »

This thing is actually a four string mandolin, but if you change out a couple of strings, tweak with the harmonics, and tune it up you've got a little Firebird ukulele on your hands, solid body with a single coil pup.  I find myself using the uke more and more, and if you look around the whole package comes in under 200 bucks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:13:21 PM by DannyDV8 »
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: I Gots Ta Have It
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »
what do you mean by tweak with the harmonics?

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
You have to radically change the guage of the strings on the thing to accomidate the tuning for ukulele.  The operation involves dumping three of the strings and replacing them with 2 10s and a 17, and moving the guage of the second string to the third string.  That's going to change the neck to some degree, and so the harmonics are going to have to be reset.  All in all it's a pretty easy modification.  I checked out a video a guy posted on how to transform this four string mando into a uke, and the final result was pretty awesome.  I didn't even know these things existed until just a couple of days ago.  I know where theres a used 8 string model right now for $149. but I haven't located a 4 string as of yet.  If you spot one give me a heads up!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:58:18 AM by DannyDV8 »

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »
You have to radically change the guage of the strings on the thing to accomidate the tuning for ukulele.  The operation involves dumping three of the strings and replacing them with 2 10s and a 17, and moving the guage of the second string to the third string.  That's going to change the neck to some degree, and so the harmonics are going to have to be reset.  All in all it's a pretty easy modification.  I checked out a video a guy posted on how to transform this four string mando into a uke, and the final result was pretty awesome.  I didn't even know these things existed until just a couple of days ago.  I know where theres a used 8 string model right now for $149. but I haven't located a 4 string as of yet.  If you spot one give me a heads up!

i still don't understand what you mean by having to reset the harmonics? how do you do that? as far as i know, the harmonics are not changeable, they are fixed in relation to the string length. harmonics are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency, and the harmonic nodes are located at equal divisions of the string by the number of the harmonic (2,3,4,5,6, etc).  how can you reset the relationship of the harmonics to the open string? i am confused.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
You've never noticed when you change the string guage on your guitars that you have to tune up your bridge?  Now I'm confused!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
I had a G&L bass that would not intonate and it was the flat wounds , the factory told me to push them down real hard where they crossed the bridge when I got it as close as I could and that solved the problem.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
You've never noticed when you change the string guage on your guitars that you have to tune up your bridge?  Now I'm confused!

you mean like intonation?
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »

He's just busting you for using the word 'harmonics' in place of intonation.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:45:33 AM »
I'm so exhausted and broken these days I'm surprised I'm not talking backwards, but yes, intonation.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 11:01:57 AM »
i just didn't understand what adjusting the bridge has to do with harmonics.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
Anyway, I Gots ta have it!  Apparently you can pick one up for about $200. when they're in stock, but so far everybody's sold out and has them on back order.