Author Topic: Pulled the Trigger...  (Read 6048 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled the Trigger...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »
Anymore when I sit around the house and play, it's usually on the ukulele.   It's a very relaxing instrument to play, and it doesn't make me feel like I'm at work.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
brad, have you tried the ampeg reverberockets? i know you had a reissue ampeg at one point (jet?) but the reverberocket is an incredible amp. has enough headroom and tremolo and the best sounding reverb of any amp.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
Sounds nice - like the weight. What did that set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

New they run $1900'ish I believe. I found a real clean used one for $950 + shipping.
There's was one in the gear page emporium for $1100. Go get it!

Edit...Here's a link to a new one with all the specs
http://eldiabloamps.com/louis-electric
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:12:14 AM by Brad »

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »
brad, have you tried the ampeg reverberockets? i know you had a reissue ampeg at one point (jet?) but the reverberocket is an incredible amp. has enough headroom and tremolo and the best sounding reverb of any amp.

I had that "handwired" jet reissue that they were blowing out for $299 at Sam ash. It was a dogpile. Sounded ok but made with the cheapest parts possible. Nothing like a real Ampeg. I've always heard great things about the older RR's and Gemini's. Never played one.

I found what I was looking for with the Buster. Tweed cleans with some headroom. I wanted something that fit better with the band and sounds more 50's era authentic.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
Got the amp Friday just in time to test it out and hit the road for a gig. fedex worked it over pretty good, broken power tubes laying in the bottom of the amp. Seller should've pulled those....I always pull the tubes that don't have covers when I ship! Good thing they were crap tubes (sovtek) so I put in an old set of wing C's I had and fired it up. No problems...phew! 
Really great sounding amp and has that old school tweed thing that I was after. Tons of headroom, more like a tweed twin/super than a deluxe. This is a loud little bastard! There's no gig I do that this thing couldn't handle.

On the gig it really shined, super warm thick tones and gets a dumble'ish vibe going once you start pushing it. I'm not sold on the speaker though...Celestion g12h30. It's a little too bass/mid heavy and I missed the highs. It's ok for now but eventually will get a weber alnico to stick in it. I'm not really into the british spkr vibe in tweed amps.

Overall this was a good score!

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
here's a couple of clips I captured on my phone...it was sitting beside me on stage and lots of bar noise but not too bad. Using the 335...probably not the best guitar for this amp. I shoulda grabbed the p90 LP but it needed a string change. Now I really need a tele!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:01:44 PM by Brad »

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 01:52:12 AM »
sounds nice. the tubes were broken even in my two rock when i got it. they just sent new ones, but shipping is rough on tubes.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »
That does sound nice. 

I bet a tele would sound super sweet through that.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »
I think it's voiced around using single coils/teles but I'm checking with the builder on any mods that will help it with a 335. I'm thinking a Spkr swap would get it there. I'll see what he recommends. I could easily live with it as is...but that's no fun.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 01:00:44 AM »
Nice!!!  I agree, the P90 LP, might be the soulmate for that amp.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 12:13:53 PM »
i just want to share an observation. having a great amp at home to practice on makes a huge difference. i have practiced more this year than any of the last 15 years or so. and it has to do with the tone. it is just a lot of fun, at any volume. i realized that leaving the amp at the rehearsal place, or just not setting it up at home between gigs, or using a lower quality amp to practice, it affects the enjoyment too much. and that affect how much you play and/or practice.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
i just want to share an observation. having a great amp at home to practice on makes a huge difference. i have practiced more this year than any of the last 15 years or so. and it has to do with the tone. it is just a lot of fun, at any volume. i realized that leaving the amp at the rehearsal place, or just not setting it up at home between gigs, or using a lower quality amp to practice, it affects the enjoyment too much. and that affect how much you play and/or practice.

I couldn't agree with you more.  I made a few swaps in the VOC AC4 and that has become my go to at home now when I am practicing scales and exercises.   
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »

I couldn't agree with you more.  I made a few swaps in the VOC AC4 and that has become my go to at home now when I am practicing scales and exercises.   

I agree it's a good idea...especially if you like and use effects/OD. I really don't. I much prefer just a good clean tone or an unplugged arch top. I do wish i had more time to dial-in my gig rig at home. That takes a lot longer when you have to do it on the fly.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »
When we don't have a lot of gigs, I set up my PA, in my studio space.    Run my computer sound output or other source to the board.   Set up my regular pedalboard/amp rig.   Sometimes do low volume if its late, or I'm just figuring something out.  But often, crank everything up to gig volume and mix, to where it is pretty much like sitting in with whoever.   Sometimes, turn my speaker toward the wall, and mike it; then mix the signal in.   

I can also run the xlr line-out from my head to the board, turn off the mains, and do silent practice with headphones.   Sounds good also, and sometimes a better way to check for precision/accuracy. 

I wish I'd always had the benefit of this kind of setup!  For many years, if I had to learn something-- I played it at low volume on the stereo, and played along on unamped guitar (hollow es330).   I have a lot of vinyl records that were pretty much destroyed, by repeatedly putting the needle on certain  passages.

Back to the point... I spend a lot of my free time at home playing.   And largely because the setup makes it fun and sometimes inspiring.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »
Got the new tubes in it...TAD 6L6's Short Bottles/TungSol 12AX7's and got it biased up. Sounds great..definite improvement. I didn't realize the previous owner had swapped one of the 12ax7's for a 12AT7. I put the 12ax7 back in there and loss some headroom but the amp seems much more responsive and punchy. I'll stick with those.

I sent Louis Electric an email the other day and Lou Rosano actually picked up the phone and called me at 10pm. I had some questions about tubes & biasing the amp and he got me on the right track. He told me to start around 40ma and tweak from there. Btw I also bought the bias scout kit from tube depot and it works very well. It knocks everything down to mV's so you don't have to mess around the high voltage. I went ahead and took direct measurements to verify it wasn't skewing the readings too much and it was dead-on. Got 49mV using the scout and the direct measurement was 490v. cheap too/$20...just gotta have the patience to put it together...