Author Topic: Pulled the Trigger...  (Read 6023 times)

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Pulled the Trigger...
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »
Got the new tubes in it...TAD 6L6's Short Bottles/TungSol 12AX7's and got it biased up. Sounds great..definite improvement. I didn't realize the previous owner had swapped one of the 12ax7's for a 12AT7. I put the 12ax7 back in there and loss some headroom but the amp seems much more responsive and punchy. I'll stick with those.

I sent Louis Electric an email the other day and Lou Rosano actually picked up the phone and called me at 10pm. I had some questions about tubes & biasing the amp and he got me on the right track. He told me to start around 40ma and tweak from there. Btw I also bought the bias scout kit from tube depot and it works very well. It knocks everything down to mV's so you don't have to mess around the high voltage. I went ahead and took direct measurements to verify it wasn't skewing the readings too much and it was dead-on. Got 49mV using the scout and the direct measurement was 490v. cheap too/$20...just gotta have the patience to put it together...
the tads are nice. that is what two rock uses. i am surprised you had to bias, the original tweed deluxe is a cathode bias.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 01:33:46 AM »
Yep I'm liking the TAD's a lot. Very similar to SED's... which I usually use but have doubled in price since the last time I bought some. $100 per pair? wtf....

This amp is "based" on a 5E3...but is fixed bias, using 6L6s, custom wound transformers. It's a very beefed up or "clean headroom" version of a 5e3. 

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 01:42:40 AM »
I've spent most of the day with the p90 paul plugged in ...this mother is nice with that guitar.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:57 AM »
Funny, I just cme on site to make the coment that P-90s and that amp would be a great combination!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!