Author Topic: Time Capsule.  (Read 3140 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Time Capsule.
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »

The owner of the local guitar store from the 1960's is selling some of her equipment. 

Gibson B-25 1964, mint condition OSHC
Epiphone Riviera 12 string (63 or 64).  Looks red in the pic, but it is more walnut.  Owners name in stickers on clear after market pickguard. OSHC
Epiphone sheraton (63 or 64), with after market master volume (can be undone).  OSHC
Gibson ES-330 (___), 1963ish.  Missing one dot inlay, otherwise mint, after market volume, OSHC and all hang tags.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Time Capsule.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:33:13 PM »
Looks like a collector bonanza.  The 12 string riviera sure looks like the cherry red color, in the pic.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
I thought the same thing. I think the flash of the camera washed it out a little.  The white balance is off.  When I went to look at it, it is quite a bit darker. 

Just for reference on white balance, I have a seagull soft case and this is the color of the soft case that matches the ones in back. 

maybe I can photoshop a better color?
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »

This is a little more reflective of the color of this guitar when you hold it.  The Sheraton did have that antigua look to it. 

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
i see no point in time capsule pieces. old guitars are good because they were played. these weren't. to a player they are not much different from a new one.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »
i see no point in time capsule pieces. old guitars are good because they were played. these weren't. to a player they are not much different from a new one.

The sheraton and the Riviera were gigged.  I would think Peg kept her guitars like I do.  Play em, but keep them as nice as you can.  The sheraton was a staple in her 4 wild roses band.  A 4 chick country polka gig from late 60's - 70's. 

The B-25 was unreasonably mint for a guitar of that era.  That probably has the least amount of play in it.  The Gibson 330(I know it isnt a 330, but it's not a 335 either) has also very little play on her. 

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »
Actually it does look like an early 335, and I wouldn't mind breaking it in, at all!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
Actually it does look like an early 335, and I wouldn't mind breaking it in, at all!

I was thinking it was a 330.  The dogear P90s, and the neck/body joint (with all that fingerboard on the body of the guitar).  Joint at fret 16, rather than 19.  I don't think they ever made "short" 335s.   Trapeze tailpiece was on all 330s, and some 335s.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »
Went back to the store last night to chat about these instruments.  They were being appraised by two vintage dealers, and then after appraisal permission to sell was being secured.

I spent some time with the shop owner and my aunt who was a "groupie" of the owner of the guitars in the collection.

Peg gigged the heck out of the Sheraton, it was her main guitar.  In the mid 60's she would do live radio shows in the afternoon, teach guitar between gigs, and then do the evening shows at the taverns.  6-10 was a usuall gig schedule.   There would be days when she would drive from one live radio show to the next. 

Peg's teacher was the first fender dealer in Illinois.  Peg has a collection of 50's and 60's fender amps that will be surfacing soon. 

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
After another look I believe that IS a 330.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
The lady who owned these passed away last week.  These will all end up in auction somewhere. 

It would be sad as I probably had a shot at some of these. 

RIP peg.