Author Topic: In the Amp Market once again  (Read 6092 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
In the Amp Market once again
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
Still very happy with the sound of my Egnater Rebel 30, using the clean channel as a pedal platform.   

My older Rebel 20, single channel, is broken.   My old-school analog repair guy has given up on it.  He doesn't have the tools or know-how to troubleshoot anything solid state, and has traced, all that he can trace.   This is about the 3rd time this amp has been down with a non-tube issue.   I could take it to another repair guy, but I can count on that repair going $100+.  Considering selling it as a basket case.

Really like to have a good working spare on gigs.  And an amp I can leave at rehearsal to reduce the wear and tear.

Anyway, starting the search for another amp.   Small and light, are definite requirements.  Nothing bigger than a 1x12 combo.  I have 2 good 1x12 cabs, so heads are a definite possibility.   My two cabs are 16ohm, which may not work with some heads.  I will not lug both around to get down to 8 ohm.  Not crazy about re-speakering them, either; as that would siphon money away from my amp/head purchase.

A few preliminary thoughts:

I think the modern Fender product line a little baffling.  The Devilles,  Hot Rods, and Blues Deluxe don't seem to have much in common with the older product lines.  I've played a Blues Jr. at a jam, and it totally got buried in the mix.  Played a Blackface Deluxe RI, and like the sound and the way it handled my OD pedal.   Might consider a Tweed Deluxe/clone, but not sure if it would always be loud enough, or have enough clean headroom.   Seen some "super Deluxes" (bigger trannies, and 6L6 tubes).  Can always mic, but I wouldn't want to always need to mic.

I've never warmed up to Marshalls, so no interest in them, or their clones.

Been looking back at the Quilters-- heads/combos/powerblock options.   Wish I could go test drive one somewhere.  Though, they do offer a 30 day trial, and free shipping both directions, if you send it back.

Setting my price point cap at about $1000.  (Some flexibility for something really great.)

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: In the Amp Market once again
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »
ethos pedal. has the 30 watt amp inside. just plug into the car .

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »

Plug into the car?  cab?

Interesting option, that I hadn't though of.  I just checked the specs and they do support a 16ohm cab.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »

Plug into the car?  cab?

Interesting option, that I hadn't though of.  I just checked the specs and they do support a 16ohm cab.

I'm enjoying mine (without the amp).  Some of my most recent recording was using it direct.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:36:54 AM »

Plug into the car?  cab?

I'm enjoying mine (without the amp).  Some of my most recent recording was using it direct.

I was hoping you might chime in on the Ethos!   Are you finding the Ethos to be an integral, always-on kind of thing?  Cleans and overdriven?  I've never really looked into the Ethos, beyond following the discussion when you got yours.  I love the singing, fluid tone I associate with the Dumble family.  Just not sure how they clean up, and work for everything.

Are you playing live with it connected into the board/mains/monitors?  Or and amp.

I guess Ethos products are a long waiting list deal, unless you find one used. 

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:24:00 AM »
no waiting list anymore. a few week maybe. you can plug the ethos into the board, into the amp, or straight into a cab. or all 3 at the same time. has an effects loop as well. you have clean and od channel plus boost. you can aslo push it with a clean boost or another od pedal. dumbles are more famous for their clean sound than the overdriven one. and they are very famous for the overdriven one. dumble clean, think srv little wing, john mayer, just to name a few.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 04:12:59 AM »
When I play live it is going into the amp. One time only did I also run into the house as a line level. I posted that event sometime around last July. That was kind of a set thing where I would hit boost for the solos. But most of the time I leave it in boost mode on the drive channel and just use the volume knob for dynamics. The gain knob is just between 9-10 usually with the volume almost all the way up. That's what I was doing in that last posted song from November.

What I found out from the manual was that the boost (which only works in the drive channel) is boosting the mid-range. So if you have the mid knob up you don't get much boost when you engage the switch. I did add the TLE switch when I ordered it. It helps when I record direct. There's also a knob on the side which allows you to cut or boost the highs completely separate from the eq knobs on top. I'm not an obsessive fiddler but if that's the way you lean this thing has a whole lot of options for tweaking.

We are finishing up a new CD so Ill be throwing up some clips as soon as Ken gets some upload issues fixed. Right Ken?

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »
When I play live it is going into the amp. One time only did I also run into the house as a line level. I posted that event sometime around last July. That was kind of a set thing where I would hit boost for the solos. But most of the time I leave it in boost mode on the drive channel and just use the volume knob for dynamics. The gain knob is just between 9-10 usually with the volume almost all the way up. That's what I was doing in that last posted song from November.

What I found out from the manual was that the boost (which only works in the drive channel) is boosting the mid-range. So if you have the mid knob up you don't get much boost when you engage the switch. I did add the TLE switch when I ordered it. It helps when I record direct. There's also a knob on the side which allows you to cut or boost the highs completely separate from the eq knobs on top. I'm not an obsessive fiddler but if that's the way you lean this thing has a whole lot of options for tweaking.

We are finishing up a new CD so Ill be throwing up some clips as soon as Ken gets some upload issues fixed. Right Ken?

the boost lifts the tonestack. on the dumble and two rock it works on both channels. the ethos has two separate set of controls for the two channels, so the boost only works on one of them.  it still boosts, even if the mid is up all the way, just not as much. but you don't need as much mid for rhythm playing, so it works well for solos.  i think it's a great option for rich, he can use it on his pedal board going into the amp, and it is the automatic back up he doesn't even need to carry separately. if the amp goes down, just plug into the cab and keep going. 

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 11:54:52 AM »
Tim Lerch Demos the Ethos Overdrive Amp

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 05:03:44 PM »

Please email me the mp3 as the uploader is working on my end, want to check the header on the mp3 file to make sure my upload script isn't blocking something.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
I thought I did no?

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »
Tim Lerch Demos the Ethos Overdrive Amp

I found this in YT and watched it yesterday.  Pretty wide variety.  Nice demo.  Impressive.

Mark-- How long was your wait?

I did see one of these on Ebay yesterday, at about $600, a few hours before the end.    Sometimes Ebay auctions spike at the end; haven't checked back to see what it went for. 

EDIT:  I just checked Ebay-- one of these went for $664 +$14 shipping.   Not bad.  Seller claims paid $719 (with the optional TLE switch and fx loop), and used it for a recording session, about 5 hours.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:02:35 PM by RichR »

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:40 PM »
I ordered it 12/5/12, was invoiced on 4/6/13.  Initially they told me July. But I did request an expedite as I was heading out on the road.

This is what their manual page says about the boost switch:

What Does the BOOST Footswitch do and is it adjustable?

The boost function is set up just like the amp's circuit topology.  When engaged, it reconfigures the tone stack (actually isolates portions of it from ground) so less mid frequencies are attenuated to ground, resulting in a boost effect.  There are no trimmers or adjustments as part of this circuit.

That seems a little confusing to me, and I am not a tech. But the result is that if the mid is up before the boost switch is engaged, the boost effect doesn't seem as large.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
Two rock has the exo. Small 15w head but it runs $1300 new. Clips sounded good if you want 2r cleans as a pedal platform. Not crazy about the looks of it.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »
Two rock has the exo. Small 15w head but it runs $1300 new. Clips sounded good if you want 2r cleans as a pedal platform. Not crazy about the looks of it.

Glad to see 2R producing something a little more in reach.  I'm fine with a good clean amp, and getting dirt from pedals.  15w is kind of marginal, I think.  But there are other factors that go into the actual loudness too.  I will look up the clips.  Thanks for the tip!