Author Topic: In the Amp Market once again  (Read 6075 times)

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: In the Amp Market once again
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 02:47:47 AM »
Two rock has the exo. Small 15w head but it runs $1300 new. Clips sounded good if you want 2r cleans as a pedal platform. Not crazy about the looks of it.
no more, two rock just retired it.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 02:53:38 AM »
Tim Lerch Demos the Ethos Overdrive Amp

I found this in YT and watched it yesterday.  Pretty wide variety.  Nice demo.  Impressive.

Mark-- How long was your wait?

I did see one of these on Ebay yesterday, at about $600, a few hours before the end.    Sometimes Ebay auctions spike at the end; haven't checked back to see what it went for. 

EDIT:  I just checked Ebay-- one of these went for $664 +$14 shipping.   Not bad.  Seller claims paid $719 (with the optional TLE switch and fx loop), and used it for a recording session, about 5 hours.
  the wait is no more than a week or two currently. it was six months when mark got it. going off of what was then does not apply to today.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 03:07:56 AM »
  the wait is no more than a week or two currently. it was six months when mark got it. going off of what was then does not apply to today.
That's nice to know.  Maybe I should have waited...

Seriously, they must've got enough in to hire some assemblers.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »

That is good to know.  I was going to email them to ask about the wait.  I'm not in a huge rush, but I don't think I could deal with a 6 month wait.  I looked up "wait" stories on some forums.  Stories of 1 1/2 year waits.  Crazy.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »

That is good to know.  I was going to email them to ask about the wait.  I'm not in a huge rush, but I don't think I could deal with a 6 month wait.  I looked up "wait" stories on some forums.  Stories of 1 1/2 year waits.  Crazy.
it used to be. look at the people currently posting. people ordering yesterday got a ship date of 2-14. reading old horror stories is irrelevant, but they still scare you.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 04:54:45 PM »
Just saw that they sell the amp as a separate unit for $195.  So for basically the same money as the Ethos Amp(595), you can buy and Ethos pedal(399) and the separate power amp(195).

I was thinking that I had a concern about possibly using a long speaker cable, between pedalboard-based amp, and speaker cab.

I am thinking that separate units is even more attractive to me.

Getting more tempting all the time.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
Just saw that they sell the amp as a separate unit for $195.  So for basically the same money as the Ethos Amp(595), you can buy and Ethos pedal(399) and the separate power amp(195).

I was thinking that I had a concern about possibly using a long speaker cable, between pedalboard-based amp, and speaker cab.

I am thinking that separate units is even more attractive to me.

Getting more tempting all the time.

no need to concern about the speaker cable. just look how long speaker cables are run in houses to all the surround stuff. not an issue. 10' cable at most anyway.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:12 PM »
Spent a bunch of time last night listening to clips of the Ethos.  Some clips were amazing tonally and some were not. 

I really do like my setups, but could this really be the one to end all for me? 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 09:02:56 PM »
No no no everybody just forget it. I want to be the only one...   

Kidding.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 09:06:23 PM »
Spent a bunch of time last night listening to clips of the Ethos.  Some clips were amazing tonally and some were not. 

not if you want to do any metal.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »

not if you want to do any metal.

Thank you, that answers my question.  I am still playing some pretty heavy stuff. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
Bang!  That was the sound of me pulling the trigger on the Ethos Overdrive Amp. 

One of the reservations I had about the Amp version was that I thought it was larger than the pedal board-- like a double-decker of the Preamp pedal form factor.  My mistake.  They are the same size!!!  Pretty amazing.  I think I'd seen a picture of the Ethos Amp, taken at a weird angle that made it look extra tall.   I was concerned that my pedalboard would no longer fit in its case, with the Ethos onboard.

Listened to several clips this morning.   Some with some light OD pedals in front.   Seems to take pedals, just like my amp.  Then the gorgeous clean and the Dumbley OD.  I am thinking that I will have everything in my current setup, plus much more.

Ordered the TLE(tight low end) switch, and the FX Loop extras.   Kind of cool that I can rig my chorus, delay, and reverb to and from the FX loop on the "Amp", right on my pedalboard with a couple of patch cables!   Rather than using a couple of $50 cables to run back and forth to the loop.  That will help offset the cost of a long speaker cable.   I think I need to have about a 20 foot cable.  I've been using a 21' instrument cable to go from pedalboard to amp.  By the time I run it out of my way, out from under my feet, through the drums, etc., I often use most of the 21' range.

Still a little concerned about volume.  Especially with a 16ohm speaker.  Works with 8 or 16.  Higher impedence speakers tend to choke down the effective wattage.   We'll see.   Can always use the direct out to the PA for more volume.  I'm just hoping to be able to play our smaller gigs without adding instruments to the PA.   I can put my 2 16ohm cabs together for 8ohm.  But I don't want to commit to always bringing both cabs.

Waiting for the email that will tell me what my projected wait is.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 06:45:50 PM »
Nice - I'm sure you'll tweak yourself into some good stuff.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
Well, the short turnaround is for real!  Just got this email from CustomTones/Ethos:

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your Order. Your Ethos Amp with the TLE/Classic Switch, and the FX Loop mod
will be ready to ship on February 14th.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »
Well, the short turnaround is for real!  Just got this email from CustomTones/Ethos:

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your Order. Your Ethos Amp with the TLE/Classic Switch, and the FX Loop mod
will be ready to ship on February 14th.
I wonder how close that date is to the one I suggested?