Author Topic: some new music  (Read 5477 times)

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
some new music
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »
Been working on a new CD, here's some songs:

Working with Sonar X2 (didn't want to switch platforms in the middle). Everything is pretty much thru the Ethos, but didn't always keep track of what was direct or through the amp

first song on the CD

last song on the CD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:21:17 PM by fsr »

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: some new music
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:02:27 PM »
Sounds great, Mark!  Love the guitar sounds!!!  This is not making the Ethos order-wait process any easier.

Is that the 335?

Did you use any other pedals with the Ethos?

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:48:50 PM »
Thanks Rich!

First song was the Strat.   Second song was the 335 on lead, Strat on one of the rhythm parts.

The effects are plug-ins from Sonar. Every time we do a project I sort of try to refine the process. I used to do a direct in and an mic'd amp in for every guitar track. And I used to track wet on the effects, partly because the plug-ins weren't so decent back then (2000). But you can't do any correction, so I started using the plug-ins mostly starting on our last CD. My pedal effects aren't that unique anyway.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »
Thanks Rich!

First song was the Strat.   Second song was the 335 on lead, Strat on one of the rhythm parts.

The effects are plug-ins from Sonar. Every time we do a project I sort of try to refine the process. I used to do a direct in and an mic'd amp in for every guitar track. And I used to track wet on the effects, partly because the plug-ins weren't so decent back then (2000). But you can't do any correction, so I started using the plug-ins mostly starting on our last CD. My pedal effects aren't that unique anyway.

But no OD, other than the Ethos?  I guess that was what I was really trying to ask.  Yes, I like to add reverb, delay, and modulation fx via plugins.  You can keep changing your mind about fx level and settings.

I am still at Sonar X1.  Did you go from X1 to X2?  Find some useful new stuff in X2?  I am wanting to upgrade.  But for now, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
 At this point I'm not sure of the differences between 1 & 2. There's several things I like about X2 - the pro-channel EQ and Compression are pretty useful. The channel presets for vocals are also pretty decent. I use the VC-64 Vintage Channel as well as the LP 64 Multiband Compressor for mastering. But I still put the tracks in Audition to finalize the average RMS numbers, meaning how loud the track itself is. We're finishing the mastering this week.

I usually use 2 screenshots, one for tracking, one for the console. Sometimes I route to buses, sometimes not, depending on how complex the instrumentation and vocals are. I will mostly likely upgrade to X3 a little later. I'm also interested in getting some other mastering plug-ins.

BTW, all the bass parts were tracked using a SansAmp Bass DI.

But yeah, no other overdrive than that.

My biggest regret is not contacting this friend of mine who lives in Brazil - really good drummer - we could've had live drums if I'd thought about it sooner. However, we did get a local guy who tours with the Commodores to do keyboards on 5 tracks. Man did THAT add some coolness.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »
At this point I'm not sure of the differences between 1 & 2. There's several things I like about X2 - the pro-channel EQ and Compression are pretty useful. The channel presets for vocals are also pretty decent. I use the VC-64 Vintage Channel as well as the LP 64 Multiband Compressor for mastering. But I still put the tracks in Audition to finalize the average RMS numbers, meaning how loud the track itself is. We're finishing the mastering this week.

I usually use 2 screenshots, one for tracking, one for the console. Sometimes I route to buses, sometimes not, depending on how complex the instrumentation and vocals are. I will mostly likely upgrade to X3 a little later. I'm also interested in getting some other mastering plug-ins.

BTW, all the bass parts were tracked using a SansAmp Bass DI.

But yeah, no other overdrive than that.

My biggest regret is not contacting this friend of mine who lives in Brazil - really good drummer - we could've had live drums if I'd thought about it sooner. However, we did get a local guy who tours with the Commodores to do keyboards on 5 tracks. Man did THAT add some coolness.

The ProChannel is pretty good in X1 Producer.  Like you said- comps and eq;  useable presets.  I've used some of the acoustic and electric guitar presets as starting points.   Kind of surprising how much they change the sound of a track.  I don't use buses unless I need to; like to put a number of tracks through a common effect plugin, together.

So all the OD on your guitar tracks was from the Ethos.  Cool!  I am considering whether to put one or both of my OD pedals in front of the Ethos.

Oh, speaking of pedals in front of the Ethos...  In the past, I've used my second OD pedal as a not-so-clean boost.  Are you happy with the Ethos' boost, for a solo boost?   If the boost turns out to be a good go-to solo boost, then I'll probably just go with one, or no other OD.  Looking forward to experimenting.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:54:14 PM »

The ProChannel is pretty good in X1 Producer.  Like you said- comps and eq;  useable presets.  I've used some of the acoustic and electric guitar presets as starting points.   Kind of surprising how much they change the sound of a track.  I don't use buses unless I need to; like to put a number of tracks through a common effect plugin, together.

So all the OD on your guitar tracks was from the Ethos.  Cool!  I am considering whether to put one or both of my OD pedals in front of the Ethos.

Oh, speaking of pedals in front of the Ethos...  In the past, I've used my second OD pedal as a not-so-clean boost.  Are you happy with the Ethos' boost, for a solo boost?   If the boost turns out to be a good go-to solo boost, then I'll probably just go with one, or no other OD.  Looking forward to experimenting.
That is kind of what I use the buses for - to route several tracks thru a common effect. So do you use the sends for that?

Regarding the boost - I'm usually on boost 85% of the time and use my volume control on the guitar. If I'm doing a quiet song,  I might disengage it. What I did find is that the clean channel is very quiet compared to the drive channel. When I first got it, I thought I might be able to use it with clean, drive and boost. But the clean channel, which has its own very nice EQ, is not a boosted clean, even though it has its own gain control. You can use it as a 3 stage pedal, but you would have to back the drive channel off quite a bit to balance with the clean channel. What you could do is use your other OD with the clean and you find might some nice tonality. I've never had the need to go there. But you'll work it out.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »

That is kind of what I use the buses for - to route several tracks thru a common effect. So do you use the sends for that?

Regarding the boost - I'm usually on boost 85% of the time and use my volume control on the guitar. If I'm doing a quiet song,  I might disengage it. What I did find is that the clean channel is very quiet compared to the drive channel. When I first got it, I thought I might be able to use it with clean, drive and boost. But the clean channel, which has its own very nice EQ, is not a boosted clean, even though it has its own gain control. You can use it as a 3 stage pedal, but you would have to back the drive channel off quite a bit to balance with the clean channel. What you could do is use your other OD with the clean and you find might some nice tonality. I've never had the need to go there. But you'll work it out.

I've read some Ethos posts on other forums and noticed people saying they left the boost on because they liked the sound.  I think I'll end up with at least 1 OD in front of the Ethos.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences with it!  Looking forward to the tweaking.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
Hot stuff!!!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:11 PM »
Hot stuff!!!
Thanks Danny! Appreciate it!

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
I can hear it on Christian radio already!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

Red Lester

• Full BAB Member
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
  • Nobody sits on a rolling stone.
    • View Profile
    • My first music video
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
Working with Sonar X2 (didn't want to switch platforms in the middle). Everything is pretty much thru the Ethos, but didn't always keep track of what was direct or through the amp

first song on the CD

last song on the CD

Both sound great! thanks for posting them.  Love your original approach to Amazing Grace.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:30:16 PM »

first song on the CD

last song on the CD

Both sound great! thanks for posting them.  Love your original approach to Amazing Grace.

Yep, I love that approach too.  I bet Todd Agnew and Chris Tomlin appreciated your approach...  :hippy: :hippy:
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »
Thanks guys!

Yeah I had to get licensing for that one - and a couple others.  I think our Grace Like Rain is a little more agressive than Todd's. never heard Tomlin on that one. But this is the first where we've had to get licensing. $91.50 per 1000, in case you were wondering.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:56:29 PM by fsr »

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 01:56:48 AM »
Thanks guys!

Yeah I had to get licensing for that one - and a couple others.  I think our Grace Like Rain is a little more agressive than Todd's. never heard Tomlin on that one. But this is the first where we've had to get licensing. $91.50 per 1000, in case you were wondering.

That's crazy that you have to license that song, I mean 90% of it is public domain. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.