Author Topic: Fender pawn shop vaporizer  (Read 6822 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Fender pawn shop vaporizer
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:02:41 PM »
Got to play through one today at the guitar store.

Really neat classic vibe look.  Reverb very controllable.  Useable tone with an american standard telecaster plugged it.

Atomizer switch kinds of stupid.  Bypassess tone and volume for full on approach, when pushes the tubes to OD and it sounds gritty.

12 watts per hang tag very loud through 2 x 10 inch speakers.

Bright and regular input.

Will be back on monday with pedals to see how pesalds sound.   Not a bad amp for $399. 

Anyone else have experiance
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Fender pawn shop vaporizer
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:43:20 PM »

Really neat classic vibe look.  Reverb very controllable.  Useable tone with an american standard telecaster plugged it.

Atomizer switch kinds of stupid.  Bypassess tone and volume for full on approach, when pushes the tubes to OD and it sounds gritty.

Will be back on monday with pedals to see how pesalds sound.   Not a bad amp for $399. 

Haven't played through one.  Was kind of wondering what they are about.

BTW, a friend of mine is ordering a 40 watt Blackstar.  Looks like a pretty cool budget-boutique amp.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »

BTW, a friend of mine is ordering a 40 watt Blackstar.  Looks like a pretty cool budget-boutique amp.

The rhythm guitarist in my daughters band has one.  Sounds great when dialed in, very easy to sound to fizzy. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »

the blackstar is a budget amp. nothing boutique about it. i have managed to squeeze some decent tones out of one of them. the rest were total crap. reliability is a big problem.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »

the blackstar is a budget amp. nothing boutique about it. i have managed to squeeze some decent tones out of one of them. the rest were total crap. reliability is a big problem.

I agree with the reliability issue.  There are some goods and some bads.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
Back to the vaporizer, going in today for test #2, going to bring the pedal board and see how it reacts to some pedals.  Some amps sound great by themselves, and then sound crappy when put to the test with pedals.  The controls on this amp are pretty simple V/T/Reverb.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »
Oh man... I hate to say it, but I got it. 

This thing has some amazing tones.  Brought the pedal board and this thing reacted better than I expected.  Took the PBT at full throttle and sounded like a wall of marshalls on 11 and clicked off and the tele sounded spanking clean like straight from Hee Haw!

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:14 PM »
ken, you keep getting cheap amps, maybe spring for one real nice one?

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:24:23 AM »
The problem I have had with amps recently is I have nothing in the middle ground area that isn't a bear.  The vox AC4 is a great little amp but really serves no purpose other than very low volume stuff.  The Micro Terror is a backup amp, and has done well in that role.  Can't really go wrong, but not ever going to be a primary.   The TS15 is really good unique tone, but with 1x12 and with the tube swaps, not keeping up with the drummer when it is dialed in well.  Doesn't fill a room well and needs to be mic'd.   The Super Reverb at 40 watts still is my main go to amp, with 2x12's it pushes alot. 

This one is good to start out but will get my hands dirty with some mods.  Looks very easy to mod, and very retro.  Sounds good out of the gate and fills a need I have right now for something that can fill a medium size room without being micd.   

So, yeah, maybe I am getting some neat cheap amps to work on.  Would rather learn on something cheap than on something that will break the bank. 

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
I know that you all think i'm nutz, but put some vintage tubes in this and it sounds... well vintage and sweet. 

Going to try and get some clips this weekend.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
What do you mean by "vintage tubes"?
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:32:53 AM »
What do you mean by "vintage tubes"?

I scored a huge box of NOS 1950-1960's El84's and pre-amp tube of all assorted types.  Mullards, Ge, Sylvania, phillips, westinghouse RCA etc. black plate, grey plate, gold pins, not gold pins.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »
That's a score alright!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »
Was at a seminar until yesterday and the box was on the steps.  Was painful waiting for them to get to room temperature, but was having a blast up until practice swapping out different tubes to see how they sounded.  The boxes look like something from the past.  I also got the multimeter I needed to start actually measuring things to really mod amps.  Electrocuting myself will not be a good option.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
Just for giggles, I thought I would resurrect this topic. 

About a month ago I traded this for a decent project guitar.

Was a cool amp but didn't get around to doing the mods that I wanted to.