Author Topic: NPD/NAD - Ethos Overdrive Amp  (Read 9231 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
NPD/NAD - Ethos Overdrive Amp
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
Got the Ethos Amp Friday night, and have been trying all kinds of things.  Drive a 1x12, a 4x10, a monitor cab, a pa cab, direct to PA, direct recording, front of my amp, and front of a couple other amps at jams.  Does it all well!!!

Haven't had a chance to try driving a cab with it, while playing with a drummer.  But I think it is loud enough.  The built in amp seems a bit on the dark side, so the setting need to be tweaked, compared to the settings you would use going to the front of an amp.  (Even after using/not using the Guitar Amp Compensation circuit (GAC), etc.

Bumped my Lovepedal Amp11 off as a foundation overdrive.  And a very nice clean, also.   Even on a good clean amp sound, it improves it.  Keeping the OCD as a boost.  Dialed the gain back, and use it more as a clean boost, just not totally clean.

Just getting all the settings figured out.  Finding some great, useable sounds.  Here are a couple scratch recordings I did direct from the Ethos.  The bass part on the first one, was also through the Ethos (clean channel).  Fired up a drum loop and made up some stuff.

Not really good pedal demo clips, but they show the potential for direct recording.  These were done totally in head phones in the middle of the night.  Both strat and lp tracks on both.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:24:32 PM by RichR »

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NPD/NAD - Ethos Overdrive Amp
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
I was waiting for this post! cool stuff-and yes it does direct pretty well, huh?

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »
I was waiting for this post! cool stuff-and yes it does direct pretty well, huh?

Yes, I am very impressed with the direct recording.  I'll have to see if it is even worth the bother to record via amp/mic.  I almost wish I'd gone with the non-amp version that could run of my pedalboard power supply.  A minor hassle to find pedalboard space to mount the Ethos power supply.  But that is all done now.

Mark-- thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experience with the Ethos!  I am really liking the sound of the pedal through a clean tube amp.  I bet the Mesa is a good matchup. 

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:53:27 AM »
Do you have a voodoo p/s cause the supply for a non amped ethos is 18 volt not the normal 9v. I mean not that it's an issue of course.  I want to go with a pedal train. But the power will have to be the voodo labs.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
Do you have a voodoo p/s cause the supply for a non amped ethos is 18 volt not the normal 9v. I mean not that it's an issue of course.  I want to go with a pedal train. But the power will have to be the voodo labs.

Yes, I have the voodoo labs pedal power II plus, which can do 18v.  So, the non amp version could have run off of my PB powersupply. For the amp version, the powersupply has the form factor of a laptop power supply-- a box that has a 110v plug coming out of one end, and in the case of the amped version, a 24v cable going to the Ethos.   The PS box is slightly bigger than the average pedal, so basically displaces one extra pedal.   I tried to find a spot underneath my pedalboard (pedaltrain-1).  The Pedal Power power supply is mounted with a nice, provided bracket.  Couldn't quite find the space underneath.

I am looking at the Ethos power supply as a possible point of failure, that I don't have a spare for.   Ideally, I would carry a spare.

Here is how it is looking:

power supply in the upper left.  You can see the voodoo labs pp2, peeking from underneath at top, under the chorus.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
rich, i went to the local electronic surplus store and found a backup for the adopter for my valve boy. i was able to find the right voltage and the right amps in a wallwart (pretty big) with a nice thick gauge 20 foot cord. now i have a backup. there is not a single pedal board power supply maker i have found that supplies the necessary voltage anyway. it's a high voltage tube pedal. how do you like your xotic compressor?

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
rich, i went to the local electronic surplus store and found a backup for the adopter for my valve boy. i was able to find the right voltage and the right amps in a wallwart (pretty big) with a nice thick gauge 20 foot cord. now i have a backup. there is not a single pedal board power supply maker i have found that supplies the necessary voltage anyway. it's a high voltage tube pedal. how do you like your xotic compressor?

Yeah, no backup for the power supply worries me a little.  The 110 cord plugs into the power suppy and comes off for travel.  But the cable from PS to the Ethos is molded in.   Sooner or later those things break.  Having it mounted in the pedalboard should protect it pretty well.  But I'd feel better with a spare.

I like the xotic sp.  Especially the small footprint!  It has a high/mid/lo compression toggle.  I always use it on low.  Blend and Output pots.   I think all compressors introduce some hiss, and this one is no exception.  And they all introduce pumping at heavier compression levels.  I tend to set it at 10-11 o'clock for both the output and the blend.  Try to keep it set so there is no noticeable hiss.

Actually it seems to work really well with the Ethos.  I don't know if the buffer in the Ethos somehow helps reduce the hiss (that doesn't really seem likely).  But when going for the fluid OD tone, but compressor adds to the singing characteristic.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »
Sorry it's so big next time I'll downsize it.

I just posted it cause I saw your settings and mine are a bit different.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:37 AM »

Yeah, no backup for the power supply worries me a little.  The 110 cord plugs into the power suppy and comes off for travel.  But the cable from PS to the Ethos is molded in.   Sooner or later those things break.  Having it mounted in the pedalboard should protect it pretty well.  But I'd feel better with a spare.

I like the xotic sp.  Especially the small footprint!  It has a high/mid/lo compression toggle.  I always use it on low.  Blend and Output pots.   I think all compressors introduce some hiss, and this one is no exception.  And they all introduce pumping at heavier compression levels.  I tend to set it at 10-11 o'clock for both the output and the blend.  Try to keep it set so there is no noticeable hiss.

Actually it seems to work really well with the Ethos.  I don't know if the buffer in the Ethos somehow helps reduce the hiss (that doesn't really seem likely).  But when going for the fluid OD tone, but compressor adds to the singing characteristic.
you're missing the point of the sp. put it on at least middle compression and increase the blend. you can get the attack unaffected by the compression and just add sustain at the end.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

you're missing the point of the sp. put it on at least middle compression and increase the blend. you can get the attack unaffected by the compression and just add sustain at the end.

I use the lower settings to eliminate/reduce hiss.  The hiss is mostly noticeable in a quiet room, and pretty much buried during normal playing volume.  But when I'm tweaking it, in the quiet, the hiss is annoying, but can be dialed out.  Even at the low setting, the sustain is helped.  Not as much, but also not as much hiss.

I think I've heard the same kind of hiss out of every compressor I've tried.  And when there are OD/gain pedals following it, the hiss gets louder.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »

I use the lower settings to eliminate/reduce hiss.  The hiss is mostly noticeable in a quiet room, and pretty much buried during normal playing volume.  But when I'm tweaking it, in the quiet, the hiss is annoying, but can be dialed out.  Even at the low setting, the sustain is helped.  Not as much, but also not as much hiss.

I think I've heard the same kind of hiss out of every compressor I've tried.  And when there are OD/gain pedals following it, the hiss gets louder.
if you understand what a compressor does, you understand what the hiss is.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

if you understand what a compressor does, you understand what the hiss is.

I know a compressor brings the inherent noise floor up.  I guess any gain stage does to some degree.  I just like to set the comp so that the hiss is only slightly more, than having the comp switched off.   For the most part, not something you would hear in a bar/stage environment.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
So how are you liking the Ethos - you've been quiet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 05:32:01 PM »
So how are you liking the Ethos - you've been quiet.

I like it.  And I've tried using the amp output directly into a 1x12 cab (16ohm), and it keeps up with a band.  Not a lot of extra horsepower on tap.  But 30 watt Solid State, is not very much power.  I think the amp part makes a fine 'backup plan'.

Definitely sounds best going into a guitar amp!  But the other options: direct to speaker; direct to board work great.  I haven't recorded anything from an amp (with the ethos) yet.  I am not sure I can beat the sound of the Ethos recording direct!  I intend to do a test and record the same thing both ways to compare.

Once I got it set into my pedalboard, I've tried it with a couple of other amps.  Love it with my Egnater on the Eg's clean channel, but really sounds just as good on anything I've tried so far.  Just need a good clean amp sound, and let the ethos do the rest.  Kind of surprised at how the Ethos improves the clean sound (on the Ethos clean channel) of any amp I've put it on!  Beautiful cleans, that make you want to do more with 'clean'.  I played a gig with Laura Lisbeth (trio:electric/acoustic/bass), last night.   Some of her stuff is a little country-ish, and some pretty ballad tunes.  The Ethos clean sound works really well.  And even in the other band, for a more traditional, less rock, blues stuff, that clean sound works great too.

So far, I've plugged it into a Mesa single rect, a blues jr, a blues deluxe.  Worked very well in all.

A little tricky getting the OD channel and clean channel volumes balanced.  I usually end up with the clean channel gain (its only volume control) cranked or nearly cranked.  Then adjust the OD channel to be a little louder.  And of course the boost provides one more gear to shift to.  Not unique to the Ethos:  but I think it is always a little tricky to compare the loudness/cutting ability of a clean sound vs. a dirtier sound.  I don't usually go very dirty, anyway.  Common to any OD, trimming the volume, changes the OD dynamic of the channel, so to cut the OD channel volume a little, you might have to cut the gain a little to keep from going too dirty.

I am still doing a lot of tweaking.  Normal stuff, experimenting with eq, scooped mids, vs not-so-scooped.  Presence vs bright vs the overall high-end adjustment (on the side). 

Settings.

Rock/Jazz.  For my use, the 'rock' setting on both channels.  A big drop in gain/output volume for the jazz setting.  My find a use for the jazz settings, but for my gig-level playing, it is no-contest-- the rock setting.

Modern/Classic.  I am going back and forth on these.  Same for the TLE (tight low end) and Classic Setting.  Also back and forth on the bright switch on both channels.

On the OD channel, I am putting the gain around 3:00 (~75%).   The amount of OD very sensitive to where the output volume is set (no real surprise there.)

I love the boost setting.  I've been using it as a solo boost.  And sometimes use the boost (with volume dialed back for some 'solo reserve') just for a heavier rhythm sound, too.

Have a compressor and an OCD in front of the Ethos.  Compressed vs uncompressed input to the Ethos makes a lot of difference.   I've put the OCD there as an alternative solo boost.  But I really prefer the Ethos boost.  The most practical use I've had for the OCD, has been to use the OCD on top of the Ethos clean channel as one more different sound. 

Wishes.

I wish the boost function worked for both channels, rather than the gain.  (Maybe the way the boost is implemented makes it impossible for the same boost to work.)  But sometimes I play on the clean channel and wish that boost was there.  Of course, if its dialed in right, switching to the OD channel kind of provides that same thing.

I wish the boost was tweakable.  It is usually pretty close to a perfect boost.  But sometimes I wish I could dial in a little less or a little more.  I am beginning to notice that the boost function is pretty interactive with how the tone stack and gain structure are set.  I guess the boost basically drops the tone stack out of the picture.  Whatever it does makes a great lead boost, and/or a great OD Plus sound.

I have my chorus and delay connected through the Ethos fx loop.  That works perfectly.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. I am liking the Ethos pedal, lots.  And definitely still learning.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »
Sounds like your experience and mine are pretty similar, esp regarding using it as a three stage pedal. I had it figured that you might throw an OD on top of the clean channel.

Good piece of gear overall I'd say.  :)