Author Topic: NPD/NAD - Ethos Overdrive Amp  (Read 9069 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NPD/NAD - Ethos Overdrive Amp
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
Sounds like your experience and mine are pretty similar, esp regarding using it as a three stage pedal. I had it figured that you might throw an OD on top of the clean channel.

Good piece of gear overall I'd say.  :)

I really like the way it takes a good clean, and makes it superb clean.  I think I'm still learning how to get the best full sounding overdrive.  Still finding new sweet spots.

What do you think about recording it direct, vs say recording it through your miked mesa?

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 10:50:39 PM »
Update:  I was rearranging my music space, when I ran across my old Jeremy-modified DS-1.  This got me thinking that I almost never used the OCD, because I didn't like what it did in the context of my current set up.  So, why not try something different.  For whatever reason, that DS-1 seems to make a much better match for the ethos.

Something about what the OCD did to the overall volume and feel.  After playing with the DS-1, I went back and tried different settings in the OCD.  Higher gain/Lower output.  But it wasn't the same nice fluid feel of the DS-1.  The DS-1 just seems to enhance what is there, rather than totally hijack it.  The DS-1 sounds good with the Ethos clean channel; but it also seems to work well with gain channel, and even gain plus boost.

I'll try it through some full band situations and see how it holds up.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 12:57:49 AM »
Sounds like your experience and mine are pretty similar, esp regarding using it as a three stage pedal. I had it figured that you might throw an OD on top of the clean channel.

Good piece of gear overall I'd say.  :)

I really like the way it takes a good clean, and makes it superb clean.  I think I'm still learning how to get the best full sounding overdrive.  Still finding new sweet spots.

What do you think about recording it direct, vs say recording it through your miked mesa?

I liked both, maybe direct is a little easier, since I'm not working with headphones. The post I put up awhile back that said 'instrumental cover of an old song' is the Strat direct. So is Grace Like Rain. One I Am is the 335 direct.

I don't think the amp was any better. but I don't think I have any of that posted except for the live stuff from Nov.