Author Topic: Effects loop and amp question?  (Read 1595 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Effects loop and amp question?
« on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
Ok.  I am going to ask a complicated question and then hopefully make it easy.

Could you do the following without running the risk of harming equipment.  Everything in my mind says no.

Take from an effects loop of one amp out to a stereo effect and return in through the effects return of the first amp and a second amp?

Such as

Guitar --->  Amp#1  --> Effects loop out --->  Stereo effect ----->  Return L ---->  Amp#1 Effects Return
                                                                                                       Return R ---->  Amp#2 Effects Return

Reasoning:  To use a better pre-amp of two amps, use the better controllability of effects through loop, stereo amp return.

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Effects loop and amp question?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

Could you do the following without running the risk of harming equipment.  Everything in my mind says no.

Take from an effects loop of one amp out to a stereo effect and return in through the effects return of the first amp and a second amp?

Such as

Guitar --->  Amp#1  --> Effects loop out --->  Stereo effect ----->  Return L ---->  Amp#1 Effects Return

Reasoning:  To use a better pre-amp of two amps, use the better controllability of effects through loop, stereo amp return.

Seems like it would work, and I can't come up with anything that would cause harm.  In the second amp, you would just be using the output stage only, bypassing the 2nd amps preamp. 

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »
That should work...you're just slaving amp 2 off amp 1's preamp. It sounding good may be the problem...you're adding a lot of variables in the signal chain, amp 1's preamp may sound bad into amp 2's power section, the quality of the sends on the effects pedal, etc.. should't hurt anything to try it though.   

On a related (but different) note...I've been looking at one of these...

The ability to re-amp the spk output of my tweed deluxe and have a 100 watts on-tap would make for a killer/scalable rig. Set the deluxe volume at it's sweet spot then push it back through the speaker at what ever volume you need to cover the room. That's awesome! Plus you can put effects in-between the 2 power sections. It's pricey though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:27:13 PM by Brad »

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
Going to give it a shot tonight.  Thought it might be interesting to try.

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »

Such as

depends on a lot of things. are the sends and returns buffered? what is the effect's input level and impedance. if one amp has an active and the other a passive effects loop, or the returns are not buffered similarly, you ARE GONNA HAVE SOUND QUALITY ISSUES. WON'T HURT ANYTHING THOUGH.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:10:03 AM »

Such as

depends on a lot of things. are the sends and returns buffered? what is the effect's input level and impedance. if one amp has an active and the other a passive effects loop, or the returns are not buffered similarly, you ARE GONNA HAVE SOUND QUALITY ISSUES. WON'T HURT ANYTHING THOUGH.

Yep it didn't hurt anything and it sounded poopie.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!