Author Topic: Visited a different open mic for perspective.  (Read 1524 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Visited a different open mic for perspective.
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »
So last night I decided I would venture out and see how a different open mic in the same town is doing.  Did bring the guitar, but decided I would do typical acoustic open mic stuff.

They run their open mic, you get to do 2 songs, then the next group comes up.  If there are not a lot of players, then you get to do it all over again.

There were 2 groups signed up when it started.  I played two songs second, one a classical piece and then played "dead skunk in the middle of the road."  That came off really well.  People enjoyed it. 

Ended up playing a second time Journey-Lights, and Semisonic - Closing time.

Thoughts, it was nice to play again.  Definitely stretched myself by forcing myself to sing.

Doing 2 songs and then rotating was not an effective use of time.  There was a good 5-7 minutes between performers.  10 minutes of music, then a big rest.   

Positive, it was a bigger place and they were serving alcohol so many many more people were there.  Some players from my open mic were there and they were very supportive of my playing. 

No pictures but if someone snatched one on FB I'll post it.  Most guitar players were drooling over the Taylor.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Visited a different open mic for perspective.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:02:01 PM »
Always good to get outside of the comfort zone for a bit.

Yeah, sounds like they could have let everyone do 3-4 songs, rather than a second round of 2 songs.  Lots of wasted changeups.