Author Topic: Ron's Red Eye Saloon  (Read 1860 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Ron's Red Eye Saloon
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:11:07 PM »
We're down in Fallbrook tonight.  We haven't been down there in a while, about a year actually.  The management decided to have a D.J. and the first time it worked great.  Then the word got out and the next time all the bangers showed up and they had a full scale riot with about 80 people fighting, and all kinds of bang and gore, so the owner pulled the plug on music altogether.  (That made sense, didn't it?)  Anyway here it is the night before Easter and 4/20  to boot, so let the festivities begin.....I guess.  At any rate it'll be good to get out and blow the stink off.  I just wish it wasn't such a long drive back!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ron's Red Eye Saloon
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:10 AM »
It went well, it was a good house, people liked us, they want us back, mission accomplished......
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
Cool!   8)

My fill-in deal I played Friday seems to be turning permanent.  Not sure if I want or can handle a 3rd band commitment (4th, if I count the Celtic band).

It is basically two guys (1 on harp, congas, vocals; 1 on acoustic guitar, vocals).  They line up drummer, bass, lead guitar; and act as host band for a jam.  Well, the guy they used to hire as their lead guitar, now just shows up for the jam for free, so its not an availability issue.  Also brought in my bass player, which helped me because of all the songs we know together.  (At the end of the night, I learned that Lou thought his regular bass player is a 'curmudgeon'

This week, the other main front guy was gone, so it was Me, the harp/conga guy, bass and drum.  I fronted 90% of the host band stuff.  I left it to Lou to manage the jam; but he was busy getting drunk and buzzed.   One of the jammers stunk, and should have been yanked after a couple songs.  If I were the owner, I would have been concerned about stinko music running off the patrons.  But Lou was oblivious.

I guess the best solution would be to hustle and get my band busier, so I can turn down those calls.  But, hard to turn down a gig, when I'm open.  And anytime I'm not responsible for the PA, its a relative cakewalk to just sling in my personal gear.

I've played with different configurations of these guys 3 times now.  Seems like everytime, the first set is fine.  The jam part, well, its a jam.  But the final host band set is a problem.  Got to stick with simple, easy stuff because of band members "off their game" by the end of the night.  Not my cup of tea, or tequila as the case may be.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
cool!
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.