Author Topic: Open Mic success woes.  (Read 1795 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Open Mic success woes.
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »
Last week's open mic had plenty of successes and eye openers.

I have decided I am going to play a set at least once every month to keep myself fresh.   It is my open mic.  Additionally I am tired of playing acoustic all the time.  One of the semi-regulars asked if I was bringing or could bring an electric guitar amp.  So I brought the vaporizer and played through it.  I started the night out playing a few songs and it went over very well.  By the time I was done, there were no seats.   Also by the time I was done there were three more people wanting to play where there were no slots.

I am okay with performers fighting over spots and big crowds, but at 7:35 everything went down hill very fast.

I thought for a second I heard the f bomb out of the microphone and just thought I was hearing things, then by the end of the song it was f-this f-that f-everything f f f f f.  Now, this is a small coffee shop and there were at least 15 kids under 12 there.

As soon as he was done, and I was setting up the next group, he took off.   Things settled down and the place stayed packed and people were at the counter wanting drinks well after closing time.   A few of the guitar players were drooling over the rich tone coming from that vaprozor.  It really sounds schweet and then some. But that is for a different time.

The next day the owner had a few comments to share with me.  At the end we are all okay, and I explained, hey it's growing pains, we'll figure out a way to get the message across that we are not a dive, and some self control is expected.   With all the new players likely something in writing short and sweet saying keep it family friendly, no foul language.   Lesson learned, everyone should be told the expectations.

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Open Mic success woes.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
I don't use language like that on stage, even in the roughest joints I play.  It's not that I'm such a classy guy, but I have respect for the profession.  Around the house I cuss like a sailor, but on stage it's a different story.  You'd think anyone would have brains to figure that out when there's a room with kids in it.  That's the biggest problem with our craft; too many posers trying to get noticed the wrong way.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!