Author Topic: variac  (Read 5254 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: variac
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
Ooh, has this been fun the past few days. 

The voltage at church where we practice is a stunning 126.3 volts on one side of the stage and 124.0 on the other.  The wiring in the church is vintage in some parts and new in others.  Interestingly enough One of the main reasons I got rid of the Peavey 6505 (besides it was heavy), as it was noisy.  The amp was checked and all ok several times.   Now it makes me wonder, what was I dealing with with power when it was acting funny.

Could be.  My amps have acted funny in situations I would blame on power.  Some of them obvious, like playing an outdoor gig on an undersized generator, then oh yeah, the beer truck plugs his refrigeration into the same circuit (and you can see the lights dim when the compressor kicks in.)   Reduced headroom, increased hiss.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »
So the variac hit the house today.  Not going to get time to get it out and moving.  Heavy sucker.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 12:25:33 AM »
Interesting piece of equipment.  Certainly easy to dial in a great tone and exact voltage.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »
Interesting piece of equipment.  Certainly easy to dial in a great tone and exact voltage.
how heavy is yours? mine is not bad. some amps respond to the voltage changes more than others. what is your experience so far?

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 02:14:08 AM »
16 pounds.   Heavier than it looks.

So far I have used on two amps.  The vaproizer is subtly affected.  The Ibanez TS 15 is subtly.  Have not tried it on the 74 super reverb or my Mesa yet.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »

So far I have used on two amps.  The vaproizer is subtly affected.  The Ibanez TS 15 is subtly.  Have not tried it on the 74 super reverb or my Mesa yet.
my guess is the super reverb will be the most affected. the boogie should also be more affevted.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 03:47:09 PM »

my guess is the super reverb will be the most affected. the boogie should also be more affevted.

Didn't get much chance to mess around with the boogie at practice last night.  Other pressing issues.  Will keep everyone updated.