Author Topic: NTD>>>  (Read 1944 times)

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +2/-0
    • View Profile
NTD>>>
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »
new tele added to the stable....This is the American special. I'm real impressed with the quality of the build for it being considered a budget US model. The texas special tele pickups actually sound quite good. Way better than the TS strat PU's...I hated those with a passion. These just sound like fatter tele p/u's without the midrange honk the strat versions have.

revamped my rig with a few new pedals also...L to R
Catalinbread Topanga - tank reverb
Suhr Jack Rabbit - tremolo
Aqua Puss - slapback
Greer Lightspeed - low gainer

The Topanga has changed my mind about verb pedals. Check one out, they're bad ass. The Greer is the best low gainer I've ever owned..immediately knocked the Gainster off my board. The Suhr is awesome too....it does a nice vintage, fat sounding trem...and a bunch of other stuff I'll never use.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:26:39 PM by Brad »

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NTD>>>
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »
Nice looking Tele!  How much were you able to get the Topanga for?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:25:36 AM by DannyDV8 »
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
the gear page emporium ....$150. They're pretty hot right now so you won't find them discounted much used.
Got the jack rabbit off Reverb for $170, again not much of a discount on those either.
The Greer I bought new

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:12 AM »
I have to admit, that thing really sounds like a 1962 Hammond spring unit.  I listened to some demos today and was totally surprised!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:24:57 AM by DannyDV8 »

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »
NICE!  Trying to remember, is the Louis Electric a Tweed Deluxe design?

Afraid, the next gear purchase on my radar is probably a sub for the PA.  Not nearly as fun as tweaking the guitar rig.  (Well, actually I'm pretty satisfied with the Ethos.)

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »
I've never owned a real outboard tank but all I know is there's no weird artifacts like every other verb pedal I've tried....and no sterilized, digital quality.

Rich, The Buster is based off a 5e3 but uses 6l6's @ 25w. Sounds more like a tweed twin stuffed into a deluxe cab. I still love this thing!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »
Sweet Tele.  Seems like I grab a tele more often than not lately. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 03:35:35 PM »
Been dialing all the new stuff in and got a chance to play a gig with it last night....man o man! Probably the best sounding rig I've ever pieced together. The tele really works well with this setup and never gets into the "ice pick in the ear" like tele's can do sometimes. Even on the bridge p/u it still sounds full and punchy. The best way I can describe it is warm & organic but it never gets into muddy and you still get a lot of string separation like you would with a thinner/brighter tone. Cool stuff! Real inspiring to play through.

The greer lightspeed just stayed on the whole gig. I'm blown away by this thing. What's weird, I really can't put my finger on what it is I like so much...the most non-coloring, transparent OD I've ever heard but it just does something special that you miss when it's off. Cleans up with your attack like nothing I've used before also. I run the gain full out (which I never do) and just use my vol/attack for more OD when I want it. Even with the gain pegged you can still get cleaner tones that way. It just melds right in to you amp. If you're shopping for a low gainer/dirty boost....this is the best one I've laid hands on.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
Been dialing all the new stuff in and got a chance to play a gig with it last night....man o man! Probably the best sounding rig I've ever pieced together. The tele really works well with this setup and never gets into the "ice pick in the ear" like tele's can do sometimes. Even on the bridge p/u it still sounds full and punchy. The best way I can describe it is warm & organic but it never gets into muddy and you still get a lot of string separation like you would with a thinner/brighter tone. Cool stuff! Real inspiring to play through.

The greer lightspeed just stayed on the whole gig. I'm blown away by this thing. What's weird, I really can't put my finger on what it is I like so much...the most non-coloring, transparent OD I've ever heard but it just does something special that you miss when it's off. Cleans up with your attack like nothing I've used before also. I run the gain full out (which I never do) and just use my vol/attack for more OD when I want it. Even with the gain pegged you can still get cleaner tones that way. It just melds right in to you amp. If you're shopping for a low gainer/dirty boost....this is the best one I've laid hands on.

Cool.  Just checked the their webpage.  $190.  Not bad for a high end pedal.  Got a few other gear purchases to do before thinking about a new pedal, but...   I like pedals that are organic, and don't make it sound like you are using pedals.

Still digging the Ethos, but looking for something new to put in front of it.   Tried my OCD there and the two just didn't work well together.  Put my Jeremy-modded DS1 there, and it works pretty well, but there is always something better.

Brad

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 05:51:32 PM »
I'm sure the greer would be ideal for stacking up with another OD.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
I used to own a Tele just like that one.  Back in the day I paid $175. for it brand new.  As I would turn down the volume the tone would get more nasal, and I never figured out how that happened.  I've tried everything I could think of on subsequent Telecasters, but never with any luck.  I traded the thing for a Les Paul Standard that was worth six times what I paid for it, and somehow it came back to me again in another trade.  I barely had it back for a month and someone offered me a beautiful ES335 for it, so there it went again.  Even though my initial investment of $175. turned itself over by about 300% I still miss that guitar to this day.  It had the best tone of any Tele I've ever owned.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 07:15:52 AM »
I used to own a Tele just like that one.  Back in the day I paid $175. for it brand new.  As I would turn down the volume the tone would get more nasal, and I never figured out how that happened.  I've tried everything I could think of on subsequent Telecasters, but never with any luck.  I traded the thing for a Les Paul Standard that was worth six times what I paid for it, and somehow it came back to me again in another trade.  I barely had it back for a month and someone offered me a beautiful ES335 for it, so there it went again.  Even though my initial investment of $175. turned itself over by about 300% I still miss that guitar to this day.  It had the best tone of any Tele I've ever owned.
did you take it apart to see what was going on with the electronics inside, to figure out why the volume control did that?

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
No, this was back in 1980, I just figured that whatever it was, that's the way they were doing them.  It was my first Telecaster.  Up until then I always played LPs and Strats except for the Gretch, and the Firebird I used when I was a teen.