Author Topic: Playing at Lake Pomme de Terre (yeah, a fancy way to say "potato lake")  (Read 3216 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Packing up for our gig Pomme de Terre!  Its a two hour drive.  But it is one hour from where my sailboat is, so I'm going to the boat after the gig.  Gig is 7-11, so I should get to my boat by 1am or so.  Not bad.

We will set up on a large covered dock.

Going early for a leisurely setup and some downtime before we play.  Weather is looking good.  A great way to bring in the start of summer!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
Went really well!   

Tough load in/out.  From the parking lot there was a long walkway (50 feet?) downhill, to get onto the marina dock.  So all our gear had to be hoofed down and back up.   The walkway was wide enough for a golf cart, and we lugged part of our stuff in their golf cart.  There was no place to turn the golf cart around on the dock, so you either had to back down, or back "up".  Had to bring PA and lights, the whole deal.

Hot and humid, but managed to catch a shower before we had to play.  Large covered area on the dock.  About 50 tables.  15-20 courtesy slips at the dock, so lots of people coming/going by boat.  Many large groups coming and going through the night.  Stayed pretty full till the end at 11pm.  Beautiful night on the lake.  Kind of distracting, as you could look out and see the lake, and occasional boat going by.  A couple times I turned around and saw my drummer just staring off at the lake.  Lots of good comments/compliments on our breaks.

My cousin Linda works at a bar about 5 miles from where we played.  She really wanted to come by, but had to work.  So, I stopped by her bar at about 12:30 on my way out.  Wow, this place was the real-deal, harcore redneck rural bar.  Karaoke, with all those Redneck Woman anthem things coming up.    I had one draw beer on the gig, so figured I could swing one drink, just to blend in.  Ordered a Jack and water, saying 'water on the side' as she walked away.  I really just wanted a big glass of water.  My cousin came back with a red solo cup full of Jack Daniels with ice and water.  A lot of attractive, seemingly unattached women.  If I were 'that guy' could have gotten into trouble pretty fast.

Finished my drink and started the 'supposed' hour drive to Lake Stockton where my sailboat is.  I decided to overnight there, rather than drive home (2 hours.)  The drive was on curvy, hilly 2 lane county roads, and there was lots of wildlife out.  I saw 3 deer, 2 raccoons, and one skunk, over the course of the drive.  I took it pretty slow.  I had a bit more to drink that I should have, and the animals had a way of coming out of nowhere.   Drive was at least 90 minutes.  Got to my boat about 2:30.  Crashed till 10am, waking up to a day at the lake.  Stayed at Stockton Saturday night; drove home Sunday and unloaded the van.  Nice weekend.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Niice!  I gotta tell ya, I don't drik and drive at all.  Too many problems can arise, yadda yadda........
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
Niice!  I gotta tell ya, I don't drik and drive at all.  Too many problems can arise, yadda yadda........

I am pretty good about sticking to 1 or 2 if I'm driving.  And I never get to "2", unless its a 3 or 4 hour deal.   Basically, the point where I think I can pass a breathalizer.   And 'too much' is not fun to me, anyway.  Once it goes from a light buzz, to a little clumsy impairment, I'm done.

But the drink my cuz gave me was more like 2 or 3, itself.  Everyone in the place looked overserved.  And for better or worse, they do not do DUI enforcement like they do in the city.  It is still pretty much like the pre-MADD days.  It looked like people went out and got smashed, with no real worry of getting pulled over.  They also were able to smoke in the bar.  It could have been 1968.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
Back in the day it was pretty much looked at as "Boys will be boys".  Hell, I can still remember when a 502 (DUI) was $183.00 and you had to be too drunk to stagger and have a bad attitude to get one!  I was constantly getting pulled over hammered out of my mind, and the cop would say something like "Hey!  You're that guy in the band, Huh?" and that was the end of it.  Now I stick to lots and lots of ice water, mind my manners, and walk really, really slow.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
Back in the day it was pretty much looked at as "Boys will be boys".  Hell, I can still remember when a 502 (DUI) was $183.00 and you had to be too drunk to stagger and have a bad attitude to get one!  I was constantly getting pulled over hammered out of my mind, and the cop would say something like "Hey!  You're that guy in the band, Huh?" and that was the end of it.  Now I stick to lots and lots of ice water, mind my manners, and walk really, really slow.

The only time I ever got pulled over for suspected DUI was in the mid 1970s.  I was about 22.  Under a combo of booze and drugs, I was pretty wasted.  I had just turned onto my street.  After a little field sobriety test, he asked where I lived.  I pointed to my house, 4 houses up from where we stood.  The cop said, go home and stay there.  They don't make cops like that anymore; or at least they don't allow them to be like that anymore.

After all the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) campaign resulted in lower BAC levels, and 0 tolerance enforcement, I joined Drunks Against Mad Mothers, or DAMM!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
A DUI in Tennessee will cost you 10k when all is said and done.

I'm presently in the villages ,they drink like fishes around here and buzz around on golf carts.

The villages has their own popo and the only time you have a problem is when there is an accident.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile

I'm presently in the villages ,they drink like fishes around here and buzz around on golf carts.

The villages has their own popo and the only time you have a problem is when there is an accident.

$10k = a welfare program for lawyers.  I know guys who spent lots to get a DUI reduced to something else.   Yeah, we are all created equal, as long as you can pay.  Something tells me this is about something other than public safetly.  Ka-ching.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
Consider the statue of Lady Justice:  She is blindfolded so she can't see who she is dealing with, and she is holding a scale.  In the other hand she is holding a sword.  The sword is for anyone that doesn't know what the scale is for.  Need I say more?

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile

$10k = a welfare program for lawyers.  I know guys who spent lots to get a DUI reduced to something else.   Yeah, we are all created equal, as long as you can pay.  Something tells me this is about something other than public safetly.  Ka-ching.

MADD alway has someone in the court room to make sure no deals are cut.

I got a DUI in the early 80's, shelled up 1k and got it dismissed
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
I caught one in 1971 that was totally bogus.  It cost $183.  I was just back from Vietnam, I figured WTF, it's all in a days work.  Caught another one in 1980, totaled my car, it cost $386. and drunk driving school.  The teacher was the biggest alkie in the room.  Then everything changed after that, and I just don't see the odds being in my favor anymore, so I've modified my behavior pattern.  Back in the day you could get away with it.  I remember one night up in the Santa Cruz mountains I actually clipped a bridge in my 1956 Pontiac with a cop right behind me.  He threw the red light on me and asked where I was going and I told him there was a place to eat up the road about a half mile ahead.  "Good answer" says he, "I'm going to follow you there, and I'd better not see you on the road again until the sun's coming up!".  I had actually fallen down in front of cops and they didn't write me up!  It's a brave new world now, and as part of it, I'm zero tolerance.  If I have even one drink, there's a little basket in the kitchen that my keys go in.