Author Topic: Ramona Bowl  (Read 2257 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Ramona Bowl
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
Doing the Ramona Bowl tonight, bum leg and all. No, it's not a bowling alley, but ather an outdoor theater where the world famous Ramona Pagent has been held since God knows when.  Being the first day of summer, it's hotter than Hell here, so anything outside is going to be pretty rough.  Sound check is at 4:30, and we play at 6:oo...It'll still be awful damned hot!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Ramona Bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »
have a great gig :smoke:
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »
It was a 50th anniversary reunion for the class of 1964.  At the end of the day I hope I die before I get old.  This bone infection might be a blessing in disguise.  Just the same there were a lot of people there and we played really cool!  I graduated in 1967, but somehow I was at least 30 years younger than anyone attending, know what I mean?  It was like playing a nursing home gig in a lot of ways.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:02:09 AM by DannyDV8 »

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:26:55 AM »
It was a 50th anniversary reunion for the class of 1964.  At the end of the day I hope I die before I get old.  This bone infection might be a blessing in disguise.  Just the same there were a lot of people there and we played really cool!  I graduated in 1967, but somehow I was at least 30 years younger than anyone attending, know what I mean?  It was like playing a nursing home gig in a lot of ways.

Now your talkin, love nursing home gigs.  When they aren't digging your stuff, just get a little mic feedback and they all turn off their hearing aids.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »
These guys were like three years older than me, they all seemed 60 years older than me.  Hell I'm old and everything, but I'm not old like that on my worst day.  Could it be that the secret to staying young is "Smoke dope, chew rope, prance, dance, romance, be a mean mother-****, say LOOK OUT, I'm the Buckaroo Kid"?  We did a reunion last year, and they were all a year younger than me, and it was the same dealio............When I finally cross that finish line I wanna be going full balls to the walls!  If there would have been barstools there, they would have been using them for WALKERS!  :yay!:

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
These guys were like three years older than me, they all seemed 60 years older than me.  Hell I'm old and everything, but I'm not old like that on my worst day.  Could it be that the secret to staying young is "Smoke dope, chew rope, prance, dance, romance, be a mean mother-****, say LOOK OUT, I'm the Buckaroo Kid"?  We did a reunion last year, and they were all a year younger than me, and it was the same dealio............When I finally cross that finish line I wanna be going full balls to the walls!  If there would have been barstools there, they would have been using them for WALKERS!  :yay!:

For a long time, I've been meeting people that are younger than me, who appear and act older than me.    One in particular:  We played an AmVets deal about 6 years ago.  I was talking music to a guy who had on your basic geezer uniform.  Slacks, a geeky white belt, etc.  The guy thought he looked/acted young for his age.  Talked like he thought I was much younger than him.  Then, he said, "I'll have you know I'm 49 years old."  (I felt like asking him why he insisted on looking and acting like he was f'ing 80.)  Didn't have the heart to tell him that I was 52 (at that time), and easily came across as 10 years younger than this guy.

Physical aging is going to happen.  But there are people in their 30s,40s,50s, that start acting like old coots.  At least in part, this is a choice.  I am pretty stubborn about uttering the words "I am too old to do X,Y,Z".  I feel a little sorry for people who start down that glide path too soon.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
Had a young black kid stop me on the street the day before yesterday just to tell me, "Man those Nikes are really fly!"  When I was 17 I liked stacked red heads, hot cars, and red guitars, I have all of those things now. (yes, I've started seeing someone).  Life is for the living, and there's plenty of gusto for everyone.  If you ain't gonna use yours, I'll take it!  It's funny, I have young chicks hitting on me at gigs alla, alla time.  When I was married I'd ask them "How old is your Dad?.....Really?  I'm old enough to be his Dad!"  When I was just turning 40, I went to work as a grounds keeper for a guy who had turned 50, and he got more cush than anybody I ever saw, just a babe magnet.
After that I saw age in a whole different light.  I got really buff, started playing sports every day, and was a total monster, then my leg got shattered and I was non-weight bearing for a whole year, then I got the bone infection, (the first one) but even as sick as I am right now I was still the youngest guy there Saturday. (Except for the other band members, and my girlfriend, Beth)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:15:26 PM by DannyDV8 »