Author Topic: Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House - on Paladia  (Read 2368 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Great new Joe B. concert running on Paladia!  All acoustic instruments.  I especially liked the Swedish Keyed Fiddle, or Nyckelharpa.   Kind of push button violin.  The strings are still bowed, but the 'fingering' is done via pushbuttons on the side of the instrument.  The first tune that Joe sang had me thinking "OK, shut up and play yer guitar(zappa reference)".   But even the vox grew on me.

If you get a chance, see it!   A good use of an hour.

Here is what Joe's website says about the program:

Joe Bonamassa: An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House, to be released in March 2013, was recorded at the historic Vienna Opera House last July during a very special two-week long unplugged tour, played to a limited audience over seven exclusive European shows.  Varying from his predominantly electric blues shows, this presentation was an all-acoustic concert performance, making it a unique and very special show fans had been waiting years to experience.

Produced by long-time collaborator Kevin Shirley, Joe is supported on his vintage acoustic instruments by an eclectic assortment of craftsmen from around the globe. They include:  Gerry O’Connor, a music historian and traditional Irish fiddler from many generations of Irish music, on Irish fiddle, mandolin, and Irish banjo; Swedish multi-instrumentalist Mats Wester will play the Nyckelharpa, a Swedish keyed-fiddle; Los Angeles keyboard maestro Arlan Schierbaum, whose extensive recording career focuses on organic instruments, plays accordions, celeste, toy pianos, and more; and legendary Puerto Rican percussionist, Lenny Castro, whose works spans genres and reads like a who’s who of artists, including the Rolling Stones, Sir Elton John, Eric Clapton, Boz Scaggs, Toto, Stevie Wonder, David Sanborn, Avenged Sevenfold, Little Feat, Tom Petty, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and many more.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
I saw part of it - what I heard was good. But I kept thinking ' do you really need ALL those guitars up there with ya?'

Steve "Guitarman" B

• Superhero Burlap and Blues Forum Veteran
  • Thems the Blues: +1/-0
    • View Profile
apparently so, but it sure sounds good from what I have seen and heard. It's out on disc, dvd and blu-ray.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
I saw part of it - what I heard was good. But I kept thinking ' do you really need ALL those guitars up there with ya?'

Yeah, he had a lot.   Surely he didn't need all of them.   

It is worth watching from start to end.   He opened with a solo acoustic guitar instrumental thing.  Then within a song or two, did a vocal.  And at the point of the first vocal song, I thought the high-thinness of his voice kind of spoiled it.   (I guess it is only fair that if you are that good on guitar-- you can't also have a perfect voice.)  To me, his voice just doesn't have any gravel, or gravitas-- pretty important for singing blues.  But as the show went on, I warmed up to his vox, too.

And the other instrumentalists were pretty cool and interesting.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
I've watched it a few times now, and it is great, but after a while, for me, it kinda starts to drone on when he gets into the modal stuff.  I'm not putting him down, and there are some stellar moments, but for me it doesn't compare to his electric work from the viewpoint of entertainment value.  I can watch the Black Country Communion footage, or the New York concert over and over again.  This one, not so much.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

a2john

• Superhero BAB Member
  • Thems the Blues: +1/-0
    • View Profile
D@mn missed it. Thought I'd respond since I'm listening to Joe B and Bloodline this evening.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
PBS is playin' the dog out of it these days, just keep your eyes open.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!