Author Topic: Saw Robert Cray and John Hiatt last night!!!  (Read 1313 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Saw Robert Cray and John Hiatt last night!!!
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »
Not a lot of time to elaborate right now.  But the stars lined up just right.   I knew about this show coming up at Knuckleheads, but assumed I'd have to pass on it.  Tuesday is our regular rehearsal night, and we've missed several lately, so I wasn't going to cancel.  Well, my drummer took care of that, so Tuesday night band rehearsal cancelled.  Then my wife had plans, so I'd only need to pay for one ticket if I went (and no one wanting to leave before the final note.)   Hmmm.  Weather looked good.  And not sold out.  Meant to be!!!

Knuckleheads biggest configuration will hold about 1000 people, so a relatively small venue for a show of this caliber.   Cray was really amazing.  Much more of a virtuoso-class player than I had realized.  Just thought he was a solid, tasty blues player.  Some stuff was kind of Knopfler-like.  Then he would turn on a dime, and get very Hendrix-like.  And of course the guy can ooze the blues.  A little disappointed that Cray didn't get to come out for an encore.  He didn't play Smoking Gun, so I figured the encore was a given.  Crowd was yelling, stomping, etc.  And the lights came up and they started breaking down Cray's band gear.

Hiatt was just superb.  Just dead on.  Great live arrangements.  Perfect vox.  His lead guitar guy played a 335, a Gretch, a tele, mando.  Hiatt played mostly acoustic, but strapped on a tele sometimes.  Hiatt was playing through what looked like an old Silvertone amp.  Other guitarist had some unusual amps, but they were turned to the back.  I'll have to look him up.  Maybe more later.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Saw Robert Cray and John Hiatt last night!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:45:23 PM »
Cray was one of my major influences in the '80s.  I still do Strong persuader and Smoking Gun when there's a bass player around that can cut it.  I have an old white Strat that I keep just because it can mimic his sound dead on.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »
Cray was one of my major influences in the '80s.  I still do Strong persuader and Smoking Gun when there's a bass player around that can cut it.  I have an old white Strat that I keep just because it can mimic his sound dead on.

He can do the blues like nobody's business.  Expected that.  But man, he can also stretch out go where ever he wants.  Say, Knopfler, Bonamassa, Hendrix, all rolled into one.  He played nothing but strats, of course.  He had two Matchless half stacks, and a Fender (probably a twin), sitting in between.  Excellent vocals, and masterful playing/singing combinations.  We do Smoking Gun.

$55 for a show is not chump change.  BUT, to see either Cray or Hiatt for $25-$30 would be a steal.  Just like getting those two great deals in one night.  I kind of can't believe I was still able to get tickets the day of show.   Lucky me.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 12:34:07 AM »
I haven't done it in a while, but I used to do a pretty authentic version of Hiatt's "Perfectly Good Guitars".  You probably caught him with Bonamassa on the PBS special.  He's a great song writer fo' sho'.  His contribution to Bonnie Raitt can't be ignored either.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:05:19 AM »
I haven't done it in a while, but I used to do a pretty authentic version of Hiatt's "Perfectly Good Guitars".  You probably caught him with Bonamassa on the PBS special.  He's a great song writer fo' sho'.  His contribution to Bonnie Raitt can't be ignored either.

Yeah, "Perfectly Good Guitars" was great!  It was one of the lead players chances to stretch out; and he really delivered.  Hiatt also thanked Bonnie Raitt for her contribution to his career.