Author Topic: Website failure and backup failure 10/13/2014 - update  (Read 1656 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Website failure and backup failure 10/13/2014 - update
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
As you may or may not know this site was down from October 11-13.  This was not scheduled.  Two drives in a raid 5 array simultaneously died.   When one drive dies, all that has to be done is to replace it and it fixes itself.  When two die, it can be more of a challenge, requiring an external backup.  This site was set to self backup daily, but this was done on the server and not locally. 

So it brings us to today.  The most recent backup was completed on July 4, 2014.   All posts after that through October 11 are pretty much gone.  I am searching for a backup but I don't think I have a local backup.

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

yosoytudios

• Yosoy's Planet
  • Thems the Blues: +8/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Website failure and backup failure 10/13/2014 - update
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
it was down all day today as well.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
Two drives crashing simultaneously is pretty odd!  Part of my day job is monitoring drives on about 2000 systems scattered all over the country.  Each server has 2 drives, mirrored by two additional drives (RAID 1).   Every week, I spot 5-10 sites with a mirroring suspended.   Usually due to a failed drive, but it can also be triggered by a failure in the tape subsystem (doesn't really make sense, but it happens.)  I have a process I wrote that does a daily health check, and sends me a message if there is an issue.   

We have had two show up as failed,  at once, but never the source drive and its mirror.  For us, total restoration from backup is a huge pain in the neck.  Part of my job is making sure that the drives are repaired quickly.

I missed the outage.  I went  to Las Vegas for an extended weekend.  Have friends there that put us up for a night, and used their comps to get us a free room at Treasure Island for 3 nights.  Also went into the mountains North of LV.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
For those who are having difficulty.  The old forum was located at burlapandblues.com this forum is located at www.burlapandblues.com/forum.   Not sure but since the glitch some are directed at the root directory which will not show this forum.   

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.