Author Topic: NAD fender champion 600  (Read 5245 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
NAD fender champion 600
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
Guitar Center Blowout.  Played one local a few months back and GC sold em last night for spare change.   Should be a fun little monster.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NAD fender champion 600
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:14:45 AM »
How much "spare change"?
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
Good deal!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »
Pretty much what they are going for used, but this way I can mess with it for a few weeks and bring it back if I don't bond with it. 

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »
S.S. or tube?

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »
Pretty cute!  Is 5W something you could use in a group in a small room?

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 01:07:01 AM »
Pretty cute!  Is 5W something you could use in a group in a small room?

For 5w it is pretty impressive loud.  5w will not keep up with a drummer but was loud enough to get the kid to stop playing sweet chil o mine at guitar center.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
A pistol that hasn't even been fired can accomplish the same task!  Still. the little amp sounds like fun!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »
Just a little update short review.

This amp is crazy cool for a tiny amp.  I had an old 1950's vintage GE black plate 12ax7 that I swapped out for the silly stupid chineese glass.  (The tube was marked 12ax7c china) and really brought this thing to life.  Simple and neat and light.  Great breakup around 7, but pull back a little on the volume and your creamy tone.  Stock speaker is really not that bad.  I know guys swap it our or build this into a head, but think I am going to let the speaker break in a little. 

Going to bring it to my solo gig tomorrow. 

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »

This amp is crazy cool for a tiny amp.  I had an old 1950's vintage GE black plate 12ax7 that I swapped out for the silly stupid chineese glass.  (The tube was marked 12ax7c china) and really brought this thing to life.  Simple and neat and light.  Great breakup around 7, but pull back a little on the volume and your creamy tone.  Stock speaker is really not that bad.  I know guys swap it our or build this into a head, but think I am going to let the speaker break in a little. 

Just replaced the 12ax7, but not the 6v6?  Sounds like a fun amp!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 12:29:49 AM »

Just replaced the 12ax7, but not the 6v6?  Sounds like a fun amp!

I don't haver a NOS 6V6.  I have to get a few for my collection.  Pre amp tubes a many I have, but not power amp. 

Still a great fun amp.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
Fender champ update.

Finally did replace the 6V6.  but there was quite a deal with that.  Bought a pair of NOS (supposedly) 6V6 yellow base off Ebay.  When I installed the first one, the base crumbled before the tube was installed.  The plastic was so brittle it fell apart in my hand.  The second one was pretty crappy too.  It installed but cut out 1/2 the time.    First time in like forever I gave a bad review to someone on Ebay.  Swore he tested the tubes and they came out great.  The first tube, there was no way that you couldn't see the base was bad.  Found a shop in Madison that was selling new in package JJ 6V6's.  Installed, and away we go.

Ordered a replacement speaker from Teb Weber today.  Around the internets everyone is saying what an amazing upgrade that it.  So, going to give speaker replacement a shot.  Also, quite a bit that the original grill cloth is very damping so going to replace that also.  Gives me some things to fiddle with to keep me busy.   Maybe get some before and after clips.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 05:38:31 PM »
Had a few days off work and finished this bad boy.

Tubes -> came with cheap china glass.  Replaced with JJ's 6V6 and 12AX7S-MG (medium gain 12ax7)

Speaker -> Ted weber classic series 6" speaker

Grill Cloth -> replaced with wheat cloth, original was thick and damping.

Bass tone roll off mod -> simplest of the mods, add a cap to pull back a tiny bit on the low frequencies so humbuckers don't sound so muddy. 

Right out of the box, this is a great amp, but with these mods it sound schweet.  I had a chance to play a 50's champ a few weeks ago, and that really pushed me to want to do these mods.  This takes a giant step toward tweed heaven.  Clean up to about 9 and then at 12, has a smooth OD.  Strat sounds great.  Now the guitars with humbuckers react great too.  It is a tad bit quieter but still is too loud when all the way up to have sitting on the desk.   Taking it to the broken arm gig #2 this Friday.