Author Topic: speaker break in?  (Read 1741 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
speaker break in?
« on: December 01, 2014, 02:10:09 PM »
Does anyone here use any tricks to break in their speakers other than just playing?

I read some stuff on using a variac, and thought about using it to break in the speaker on the champ and read I had to get something like 4V ac.  Tried dialing it in with the variac but decided not to try it.

Any thoughts?
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: speaker break in?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
Does anyone here use any tricks to break in their speakers other than just playing?

I read some stuff on using a variac, and thought about using it to break in the speaker on the champ and read I had to get something like 4V ac.  Tried dialing it in with the variac but decided not to try it.

Any thoughts?

You can run recorded music through it.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »

Any thoughts?

How long
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »
I'm not suggesting this, Mkay?  I'm just sayin.  Back in the day I'd put the amp in a closet with a Les Paul, crank everything up to 10, smack the strings, close the door, and go for a drive for a couple of hours.  If the speaker wasn't blown up when I got back home, it was sufficiently broken in.  I was also very big on taking a hypodermic needle and squirting a little hydraulic oil in the voice coils.  It does a dandy job of keeping them from heating up, which is a major cause of speaker failure.  Back in the day I used JBLs or Altecs, and Twin Reverbs for the most part.  You know what they say, "Love thy neighbor".  You might want to listen to Rich on this one.....
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
I'm not suggesting this, Mkay?  I'm just sayin.  Back in the day I'd put the amp in a closet with a Les Paul, crank everything up to 10, smack the strings, close the door, and go for a drive for a couple of hours.  If the speaker wasn't blown up when I got back home, it was sufficiently broken in.  I was also very big on taking a hypodermic needle and squirting a little hydraulic oil in the voice coils.  It does a dandy job of keeping them from heating up, which is a major cause of speaker failure.  Back in the day I used JBLs or Altecs, and Twin Reverbs for the most part.  You know what they say, "Love thy neighbor".  You might want to listen to Rich on this one.....

ooh noisy!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »
Whatever pedals I had plugged in as well.  It actually worked well on a couple of speakers that I had that were making transient noises of sorts.  It was always a wonderful feeling pulling up in my driveway and hearing that stuff!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 08:07:24 PM »

Any thoughts?

How long

Don't really know.  Many confusing, contradicting ideas.  About 4 hours seems to be a common thing.  Speaker will continue to age/change through its life.  But the biggest changes take place over the first few hours.  If I were doing this, I'd probably just do it overnight, or during a work shift. 

I'm thinking the music should be something like what you expect to play through the speaker.

I think the bigger consensus is "just play", and accept that it may be changing (for the better) as you go.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »
That's why I always blasted 'em.  I figured they might as well get used to it or blow up while they were still under warranty.  I used to like punchy, powerful speakers, now I like ones that sound cheap and have a wheeze.  If I could get back all the speakers I threw away in my youth, I'd probably be in Hog Heaven.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:56:06 PM by DannyDV8 »