Author Topic: Back from sailing in the Caribbean  (Read 2791 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Back from sailing in the Caribbean
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
Back to the grind.  Great sailing vacation.  Never really had a bad one.

The air travel was a little sucky. 

Took two days to get there and two days to get home.  The trip there, the puddle-jumper airline, Seaborne "consolidated" flights, and we no longer had a flight from Puerto Rico to Tortola.  So, we stayed at the San Juan Airport Hotel (in the airport) and caught the first flight across. 

On the way back, our flight from San Juan to Dallas was delayed 5 hours for mechanical issues.  By the time we got to Dallas there were no more connections to KC, so they put us up in a hotel; and on the first flight in the morning.  Factoring in time changes, got up before 6am in the BVI, and got to bed in Dallas about 2am.  Back up at 6am to catch the home leg.  Home Sunday, rather than Saturday.  Kind of wiped out my buffer day.

We had a 44' sailboat for the week.  Another couple and a single friend, for a total of 5.  We had all been to the BVI several times.  So we skipped many of the "must see" kind of places.  Only got off the boat to get more ice, take the trash ashore, and a few dinners.  Stayed in some nice seclued anchorages, rather than  the obvious, easy places that can be full of first-timers, and otherwise clueless people.  Had a spectacular fresh lobster dinner at Anegada.  Bob (the single guy on the trip) picked all the 'finished' lobsters for the remaining meat.  The next morning we had scrambled eggs with lobster, cream cheese, smoked gouda, cheddar cheese, peppers, onions, garlic.  Almost better than the lobster dinner.

Much snorkleling.   At night we would just put a light near the water and watch the fish.  Every night, there were medium to large (3'-4') tarpon swimming around the boat.

The stars were astounding.  And at latitude 18, there are some different stars and constellations.  For instance, the Big Dipper is not always visible.  The north star is pretty low on the horizon, and the Big Dipper kind of revolves around it; so below the horizon much of the time.  The Southern Cross (aka Cygnus, the swan) is visible there.

Drank much more rum and beer than usual.  Day 3 or 4, we were in Cane Garden bay, walking the beach and stopping in beach bars.  A rasta looking guy was selling hollowed coconuts with some kind of drink in it.  I told him I was burned out on alcohol.  He got me a greener alternative.  It was a big hit after dinner in the anchorage that night.  (I would never travel with contraband.  Just not worth the risk.)

Rained a little on most days.  Short-lived and usually produced rainbows and double rainbows.

Trip kind of stirred my inner ex-patriot!  After getting home and reading people's political rants on FB...  I'm ready to be outta here for good! 

The local radio station, Tradewinds Radio has a live stream.  tradewinds923.com.    Pick the virgin islands, if given a choice.  I think they also have a Florida station and a few others.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Back from sailing in the Caribbean
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
Sounds like a blast.  I wish Facebook had a button turn off all political crap posts. 

Glad your back safe.

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:31:15 PM »
Glad you had a nice vacation and I'm sure it wasn't long enough.

Speaking of going green, I could have passed a DT up til last week when a buddy hooked me up with some of the stuff coming out of CO.

That shat is narcotic strength.  Too strong for the general public in my opinion.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:24 PM »
Glad you had a nice vacation and I'm sure it wasn't long enough.

Speaking of going green, I could have passed a DT up til last week when a buddy hooked me up with some of the stuff coming out of CO.

That shat is narcotic strength.  Too strong for the general public in my opinion.

Just have to do one hit and done.  Wait.  With the stronger med grade, if you keeping hitting till you start feel it; you will likely overdo it (the spins are not fun-- especially if you are drinking, too.)  A little bit can go a long, long way.  Especially with no tolerance. 

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:53 PM »
Sounds like a blast.  I wish Facebook had a button turn off all political crap posts. 

Glad your back safe.

I've had to quit 'following' some people on FB, because all they seem to do is share politically charged stuff.  The times I've chimed in on polical discussions, I've usually regretted it.  Some of these guys are just daring someone to respond with a different opinion, so they can pounce.  Every once in a great while... people of different viewpoints intelligently discuss their differences.  But usually they are just hurling lib and con talking points back and forth.

After a few days of no phone/internet, we picked up a US AT&T cell tower on St. John (US VI).  I was tempted, and checked email, texts msgs, and FB.  And I thought I might be tempted to read through a bunch of that stuff.  But after about 3 minutes, I said 'no emergencies'; screw everything else, and turned my phone back off.  Even after I've been home I just can't bring myself to sit at the computer.  Back to work today, so I have to be on.  I'll probably drift back into my old routine soon enough.

I did start having guitar withdrawl!  I am real leary of air travel with a guitar.  Too many horror stories of being forced to check a guitar with bad outcomes.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:03:58 PM »
That's why you always want to have a decent playing beater guitar.  Meanwhile I've been land-locked for far too long.  I haven't been fishing since way before Linda got sick.  I could really stand to get out there and get the string wet.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
That's why you always want to have a decent playing beater guitar.  Meanwhile I've been land-locked for far too long.  I haven't been fishing since way before Linda got sick.  I could really stand to get out there and get the string wet.

I've never fished on these trips because of the added hassles of getting gear on the boat, license, and handling/cleaning fish in the small confines of a sailboat.  I have seen some people troll with spinners while sailing.  Or, pull out a rod and reel in an anchorage.  I saw a guy pull in a 4' Atlantic blacktip shark from a neighboring boat in an anchorage, once.   

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »
I'm like 1) Fishing gear 2) Beer 3) Maybe the ol' lady, and 4) Maybe all the other shit.  Hell, I can't even think of another reason to be out on the water unless I'm spreading someone's ashes, and even then I'm taking the fishing gear.  Linda used to joke with me, "Spread my ashes on the ocean.  I can find my way back to Guam, and you can get in a day of fishing!"

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »
I'm a water dog. When I was a kid we lived in a community that had it's own private beach and dock.

I owned my property on the Tennessee river since 1984 and now I have moved to a land locked community. I do overlook the pool and only have to walk less than 40 ft to the water

I'm over, exposing my skin to the sun. My wife and me recently decided to only visit the pool after the sun sets.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:39:51 PM by BH »
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
I'm a water dog. When I was a kid we lived in a community that had it's own private beach and dock.

I owned my property on the Tennessee river since 1984 and now I have moved to a land locked community. I do overlook the pool and only have to walk less than 40 ft to the water

I'm over, exposing my skin to the sun. My wife and me recently decided to only visit the pool after the sun sets.

My Dad was from rural central Missouri, near where Lake Pomme De Terre was built in 1961.   Our family owned boats (runabouts/ski boats) for most of my childhood.  Camping gear; a converted school bus.  I grew up going to the lake most weekends.  We all water skied.  Most weekends and summer vacation were spent there.  I was taking the boat out alone at age 14 or 15.

Speaking of landlocked, I get a lot of chuckles about being a sailor from Kansas.  I do watch the sun exposure, keeping covered up or in the shade as much as practical.  Know lots of people who've had skin cancer.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »
I'm one of 'em.  I even had to have my belly button removed because of squamous cell carcinoma.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
Kind of envious - I've wanted to do a charter, but never sailed.

But we've been to various islands for snorkeling a lot - most recently St Croix. Followed a couple spotted eagle rays around for a bit by a very deserted east end beach. Very cool!

Flights? - meh - necessary evil.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 10:12:06 PM »
Kind of envious - I've wanted to do a charter, but never sailed.

But we've been to various islands for snorkeling a lot - most recently St Croix. Followed a couple spotted eagle rays around for a bit by a very deserted east end beach. Very cool!

Flights? - meh - necessary evil.

I saw a number of powered catamarans for charter.  They are trying to get to the "I'd like to do this, but never sailed" crowd.  In reality, the actual sailing is a small part of it.  The main things are being able to anchor or pick up mooring balls; and understanding how to run the boats systems: electrical, plumbing, etc.   Not unlike an oversized, overbuilt, RV.  Navigation in the BVI is about as easy as it gets.  All the boats in charter have GPS/chartplotters, and you can hop island to island and see where you are going (not out of sight of land.)

This trip kind of reignited my desire to move where I can have a sailboat in the ocean.  (Without flying to get to the boat.)  Along with becoming eligible to retire in May. 

BTW, I put up pictures on my FB page.  (Rich Reavis)

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 03:36:47 PM »
I used to sail a lot.  I first started going out in a little 14 footer out of Santa Cruz.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
I'll take a 350 Chevy I/O every time. Honestly,I never want another boat. I'll walk on the beach or lay by the pool,but I never want the responsibility of a boat anymore. I had a 40 footer back in the day it was fun for awhile. I was able to justify owning it by living on it 9 months out of the year. I would rent a furnished apartment for 3 months in the winter. Did that for 3 years.

Blueshonky  2013