Author Topic: Mother of mercy! Is this the end of Little Ceasar?  (Read 11751 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
Re: Mother of mercy! Is this the end of Little Ceasar?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
No more Spiro dance on the heads of punks!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 02:57:30 AM »
I had seen the article.  This time I ran through the comments.  They are pretty interesting.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »
GC is telling their employees it isn't true.   
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »
Did you notice in the comments where "Jeff" called me a "grinder"?  I made him promise not to charge me a penny over list.   :evillaugh:  I also mentioned that that's why GC is going down the crapper, because guys like him were asking people "Do you want fries with that?" a week before they went to work there.  I wonder if they're going to tell their stockholders it isn't true when it's time to pay out their dividends?  This ought to be interesting!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 11:34:19 PM »
So, anyone remember Dustin, the guy who at one point was running the original KOTB website.  Responsible for KOTB and sending JB, Chuck, Brad, and DJLivingfire (rook) to Cali.  He has officially jumped ship

http://mmrmagazine.com/2002-ernie-ball-appoints-hinz-as-executive-vice-president-of-marketing.html

Ernie Ball, Inc. has announced the appointment of Dustin Hinz to the role of executive vice president of marketing. The announcement was made by Brian Ball, the recently promoted president of Ernie Ball, Inc., and reflects the company’s ongoing momentum-building endeavors.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

fsr

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:31:05 PM »
I was getting a couple things in my local GC a couple days ago - after having read the Garland piece - and one of the pro audio guys said they had just laid off 12 district managers. The former student of mine from a long time ago, another district manager, was one that was spared. He's been there for over 30 years For the moment, I suppose. But there seemed to be no real rhyme or reason to who they let go, in the employee's mind at least.

I guess I should be grateful that I've got some decent instruments, gear, and a way to keep doing things. But I hate to see the way businesses defeat themselves in the process of getting more and more. 

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
They crapped in their own lunch bucket.  They made it so the only people who can afford to buy quality instruments from them are people who do something else for a living.  They're right about one thing:  "It costs what it costs!".  The guys out at the Murrietta store are a decent bunch of guys for the most part and have gone out of their way to cut me some decent deals.  Of course they'll be getting the corporate axe as well.......
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:53:47 PM by DannyDV8 »

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
So who pays when GC Goes bust?

Had an interesting conversation yesterday.  I never knew of Mars music until yesterday.  When they went under in 02 what happened to all the money they owed to Fender...etc.  Fender isn't going down, neither is Gibson.  They have enough capital to push through it... but they will have to make up their losses some how.  That gets put on to the consumer and the little guy.   

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »
Gibson would be in big trouble in as much as the lion's share of their stuff is sitting in Guitar Center stores.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »
So who pays when GC Goes bust?

Had an interesting conversation yesterday.  I never knew of Mars music until yesterday.  When they went under in 02 what happened to all the money they owed to Fender...etc.  Fender isn't going down, neither is Gibson.  They have enough capital to push through it... but they will have to make up their losses some how.  That gets put on to the consumer and the little guy.

Mars was the first chain super store we had in KC.  They were pretty good.  Our store and many others were supposedly making money.  But the corporation as a whole, tanked.  The Mom and Pops kind of surged.  Then, 2 GCs popped up (2005/2006).  The walmart style war on the Mom and Pops was on.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 08:53:12 PM »
Michael, the manager at the Murrietta store tells me things are going gang busters.  He said their store alone did over a half a mil. over Christmas.  He said some of the west coast stores got "re-aligned" and so a couple of district managers got cut loose.  He also said it's a privately owned company, so there are no share holders to pay.  I guess we'll see this spring!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
Gibson would be in big trouble in as much as the lion's share of their stuff is sitting in Guitar Center stores.

There is a good chance , most of it is on consignment. I think if that is the case they could take possession  in the case of bankruptcy.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:36:59 PM »
Their biggest problem is that they pretty much kicked everyone else to the curb with the exception of GC's sister company, Musician's Friend.  All the vendors are resentful of Gibson because of it, and went with PRS, G&L, Fender, and all the others.  The robotic tuners they're trying to shove down everyone's throats aren't popular at all, and the new Premium Standard costing $4,999. isn't winning them any popularity contests either.  Even if they got all the guitars back, who are they going to sell them to?  If GC's new CEO is in fact getting them into position to liquidate, they can probably sell off their inventory and pay off their suppliers, but that still leaves Gibson raped and freezing because they got way too big for their britches and started treating the people that were their life's blood like trash.  If you make people hate you it doesn't matter much even if you do build a better mousetrap!  Then there's the fact that the new mousetraps don't work very well.  I've seen videos of accomplished guitarists trying to get a guitar with the robotic tuners to, well, tune up, and it just wasn't happening.  If you're in front of an audience and that happens, you're going to be on your way to the music store the next morning to trade it in on something that won't embarrass the Hell out of you again.  I'm thinking that even if GC stays afloat, there's an active possibility that Gibson won't.  They did the same thing around 1973.  The Les Paul became so popular that they figured they could jack the price up, and say to Hell with the quality of the guitar, and it almost cost them the farm.  When you tie that into the fact that anyone who's playing music for a livelihood right now is broke as Hell, that there no steady gigs in existence, and that at best places are booking music only on the weekends, and that half the time only one night of the weekend, it's not a good time to jack up the price of your best selling guitar to more than the average musician spends on a car.  You can't work 50 nights to pay for just one of the tools to do the job.  This is the crux of the problem GC is having right now as well, their customers are all broke!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »
Michael, the manager at the Murrietta store tells me things are going gang busters.  He said their store alone did over a half a mil. over Christmas.  He said some of the west coast stores got "re-aligned" and so a couple of district managers got cut loose.  He also said it's a privately owned company, so there are no share holders to pay.  I guess we'll see this spring!

I heard the exact opposite from someone who was at NAMM.  (that that either one is right, not that hearing anything second hand is good)

he said GC totally tanked over the holidays. 

GC is not publicly traded but did borrow money and the loans are coming due and there is not enough cash to pay the loans.  GC might do well to pro-actively realign and close their bombing stores before it gets too far out of hand.