Author Topic: Mother of mercy! Is this the end of Little Ceasar?  (Read 11003 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Mother of mercy! Is this the end of Little Ceasar?
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2015, 01:40:55 AM »
The BBB has lost all credibility as far as accurately representing a business to the consumer. The have all kinds of plans for businesses and will make you look real good to the consumer if you buy one of their premium packages.

Just like weird al said, it is all about the pentiums baby..

maybe its all about the benjamins, something like that.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
A few recent observations.

A few stores are starting to price used equipment more appropriately based on the local market.  Did a double take and almost brought home a DR. Z. MAZ 18 for $1000.  Did buy a Wampler Paisley Drive for $99 a Gristle Drive J. Deuring $99 and a Keeley Luna Drive $99.  All in immaculate condition.  Three really neat pedals priced too good to pass up. 

During my last visit a guy came in with a cable and said "Hey this cable stopped working."  GC employee said, go back and see if there is another one like it on the shelf.  There wasn't, he ordered one and said come right back when I call you we'll just trade it out. 

Almost looks like they are doing whatever it takes to keep people moving in and out of the store. 

Last time I was in the madison WI store.  Dead, no one in the store.  I walked in and played a few guitars and not a soul spoke a single word to me.  It was like no one gave a rats A****
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
A few recent observations.

A few stores are starting to price used equipment more appropriately based on the local market.  Did a double take and almost brought home a DR. Z. MAZ 18 for $1000.  Did buy a Wampler Paisley Drive for $99 a Gristle Drive J. Deuring $99 and a Keeley Luna Drive $99.  All in immaculate condition.  Three really neat pedals priced too good to pass up. 

During my last visit a guy came in with a cable and said "Hey this cable stopped working."  GC employee said, go back and see if there is another one like it on the shelf.  There wasn't, he ordered one and said come right back when I call you we'll just trade it out. 

Almost looks like they are doing whatever it takes to keep people moving in and out of the store. 

Last time I was in the madison WI store.  Dead, no one in the store.  I walked in and played a few guitars and not a soul spoke a single word to me.  It was like no one gave a rats A****

On the cable swap deal, I think they were still exchanging some other brands of cable with "lifetime" (till we decide to stop) warranty.  They have some kind of issue going on with Monster.

I went into GC and bought a gig bag.  Tried my local independent first, but all he had were pretty much basic, bottom of the line.  My les paul's case has a broken handle (AGAIN!)  My 3rd handle on my second case.  A f'ed up design, I think.  But anyway, decided to get a nice gig bag and try that for awhile. 

While I was in there I browsed the used gear.  They had a Silvertone Twin Twelve model 1484.  I had one of these when I was about 15.  Bought it used, as a package deal with my ES-330.  Of course in those days, music gear that originally came from Sears, wasn't cool.  Played it for about 3 years.  Sold it off to buy a Twin.   The one at GC was in nice shape, but it had a price of $799 on it.  I don't think so.  I'm sure someone famous plays one now, and there are fools, I mean players seeking them out for their magic mojo.  A cool amp, but I wouldn't pay that much for one unless it had been totally gone over by a good amp tech.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
Silvertones have some mojo and some silly stupid following.  I have seen a couple of guys trying to move them on CL in the 1400-1700 range locally.  Stupid enough they don't last on CL forever. 

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Silvertones have some mojo and some silly stupid following.  I have seen a couple of guys trying to move them on CL in the 1400-1700 range locally.  Stupid enough they don't last on CL forever.

When I had my twin twelve, I had my ES-330.  My first 'real' guitar rig.  (Before that, I had a Kay solidbody with 3 pups and a whammy bar-- and 1/2 action, bowed neck, and horrible intonation; and a small crap amp.)

The P90s in the 330 have a stringent, in-your-face presence.  I never had the chance to play a humbucker guitar, or a strat, through the Silvertone.  In those days (early-mid 70s), Silvertone had no mojo.  I couldn't wait to trade up to a real amp-- Fender Twin.  But, in hindsight, that thing did sound good, and had really good tremelo and reverb.  Really wish I'd hung on to it.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »
I got shocked on my ass by a 1484 I was trying to fix in the '60s.  I did a somersault, wound up with my feet going up the wall, and I was blind for a couple of minutes......Great amp.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »
I got shocked on my ass by a 1484 I was trying to fix in the '60s.  I did a somersault, wound up with my feet going up the wall, and I was blind for a couple of minutes......Great amp.

In those days, no amp had master volume.  There was no low volume overdrive from cranking the pre and cutting the master.  All guitar-amp rigs sounded like guitars.  The only effect I owned was a crappy fuzz tone, that never left the bedroom.   We did a lot of CCR, CSN/CSNY kind of stuff, and it worked great for that.  Harder rock, such as Cream, or especially Black Sabbath, the amp just wouldn't do crunch OD, except for at insane volume.  Same for the no-master volume Twin I owned next.

But the Silvertone was actually warmer and would break up earlier than the Twin.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2015, 09:38:09 PM »
Back then, if you couldn't afford a Fender, the 1484 was the way to go.  I used to have a Boss Fuzz that plugged right into the guitar, that actually worked pretty well! It had the off/on switch, volume and gain knobs right on the little box!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 11:33:34 PM »
Here's one from last Thursday

http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2015/150729/150729_GC.html

Guitar Center has been accused of violating federal labor law by "discriminating against employees" at its flagship stores in Chicago, New York and Las Vegas, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

GC is also accused of failing to bargain in "good faith" with the workers' union. A complaint was issued last week by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). According to the Tribune, the NLRB's general counsel is seeking an order requiring the company to bargain in good faith and reimburse the union for its costs and expenses since July 2013.

"This is vindication of what we have been saying, that Guitar Center crossed the line," Union President Stuart Appelbaum told the Chicago Tribune.

Since 2013, GC has been in contract negotiations with the union. Last year, GC withdrew its recognition of the union, ending talks with Las Vegas and New York. The union continues to negotiate on behalf of workers in Chicago. These negotiations could affect a total of 120 workers at the three locations. A hearing is set for October 19.

guitarcenter.com