Author Topic: Did a double header on Saturday  (Read 734 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Did a double header on Saturday
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
Did a jam host gig Saturday 2-6.  Then played a Raildog gig from 8-12.  I was a little nervous about the two setup/teardown thing, but it worked great.

The jam host gig was with my keyboad/harp guy, Charlie, and a singing drummer, Ricky.  Charlie has done lots of trio stuff, holding down the bass on the keys.  We've been hosting a Monday night jam in this config.   His key bass is better than a lot of so-called bass players. 

I dropped my PA gear off at the night gig, American Garage at 11am, Charlie dropped one of his leslies there also.  Headed to Dannys Big Easy and set up.

Danny's is a cajun themed place in the middle of the historic 18th and vine district.  The area where a young Charlie Parker got started.  Had enough jammers that I probably played less than half the 4 hours.  Got to sit down to a nice bowl of gumbo.  We kind of lucked out and got to quit early.  They had a large band scheduled for Saturday night,  Platimum Express,  with 3 front singers, horns, keys, guitar, bass, drum  11 or 12 pieces in all, I think.  They needed a lot of time to load in and setup.  So we wrapped up at 5:30, instead of 6.

So, I got to American Garage a little before 7 for an 8pm start.   Staff still had to move tables out of the "stage area".  I knew it was going to be a tight setup, so left the monitors, lights, and rack at home.  Had a small crowd to start with, but it just built, and built all night.  Pretty full, by the end.  And was asked to do a few more when we tried to shutdown at midnight.   A very nice night, actually.  And, a much needed 'win'. 

I've been a little bummed out on the gigging scene, lately.  Too many of those gigs with 8 people in the room and one of them was the unhappy owner.  Kind of lost the will to hustle gigs for awhile.  This was more like "Oh, yeah this can be fun."  And my second payday of the day.

Charlie is usually the primary host for this Monday thing we've been doing, but he is out of town this week.  So, I'm covering the jam host gig at the Frog Pond, tonight in Peculiar, MO.   Some of the usual jammers have committed to coming, so it should be a little playing and little managing, and done.

Also turned down a fill-in gig, Friday night.  I was at 'rehearsal' with my Celtic band.  (This thing has really turned into a total hobbist get together thing.  4 gigs a year has dwindled to maybe 1 per year.)  I was there Friday and got a call about 8pm.  Another band's guitar player had an emergency, so they were looking for a sub.  I would have needed to bail on my friends, and a bit of a fire drill to get home for my rig, and back out to a gig.  So, I declined.  But it is nice to be thought of, anyway.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Did a double header on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
cool.  Doing a double gig is always a unknown on how things will pan out.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Did a double header on Saturday
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:42:28 PM »
Get it while you can!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!