Author Topic: NAD fender champion 600  (Read 5012 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: NAD fender champion 600
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »
Even using my 15 watt '84 Super Champ I have bar managers asking me to turn down all the time.  These are the same people who have guys dragging Marshalls into their places.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
I have learned so much doing some simple stuff with tube amps.

#1, any tube that says china is higher gain grainy crap
#2, if you are not pushing the power tubes, then you are not achieving the best tone the amp has to give
#3, Tube amps are mysterious, dangerous toys that require a little bit of knowledge to make them sound great...

Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »
Rivera had his marbles in one sock when he designed that Super Champ, but I have considered a speaker upgrade of some sort.  Nothing like a JBL, but something that would sound warm while tightening up the bottom end a little.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:32 PM »
I have learned so much doing some simple stuff with tube amps.

#1, any tube that says china is higher gain grainy crap
#2, if you are not pushing the power tubes, then you are not achieving the best tone the amp has to give
#3, Tube amps are mysterious, dangerous toys that require a little bit of knowledge to make them sound great...

My keyboard player has been hosting a jam on Monday, and I've been going to help support.  He has been bringing a Blues Jr., which I'd normally consider as barely enough to hang with a drummer.  But its a small place, and we are using a drummer with some good control.  So the Jr, is plenty.  Quit bringing my pedalboard, and just going straight in.  When the band volume starts creeping up, the Jr. gets pushed up to its sweet spot.  Guitar-Cable-Amp works great when you can crank the (tube) amp!   

If you have to get that same vibe at lower volumes, the good pedals are a lifesaver.  My 20 watt amp, stays at about 25% (clean channel doesn't have a gain control), unless we are playing outside, or someplace big.  So, any crunch or compression/sustain has got to come from somewhere else.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
I picked up one of the original Blues Juniors a while back for a song.  A girl had bought it and it sat in a closet for years.  When I got it, it had about half a dozen hours use on it.  The things a monster, loud as Hell.  I've been using it in stereo with the Super Champ, and  that really tightens up the bottom end!