Author Topic: Walrus Voyager Overdrive  (Read 6149 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Walrus Voyager Overdrive
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo5E2tZHgfU

Traded in my TC Electronic Mojo Mojo for a killer deal on one of these!  I could get good sounds to come out of the Mojo pedal, but it wanted to be stroked, with four knobs and a toggle switch it was kind of hard to dial in.  This is a better sounding unit, with the simplicity of three knobs, Volume, Tone, and Gain.  What really sets it apart from the Mojo is I can't get any bad sounds to come out of this one!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:17:23 PM by DannyDV8 »
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Walrus Voyager Overdrive
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »
Walrus makes some killer stuff.  TC does way better with delay/modulation and has ok overdrive (better than Boss crap, but hell, everything is better than boss)
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »
The Walrus is very transparent, not a lot of hiss, and just has a more realistic sound.  You can use it to make you amp sound like you wish it sounded on it's own.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:35:04 AM »
Good players know how to use effects, great players know how to control their tone and their effects.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:38:43 AM »
Having the right effects is a lot of the battle.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
Having the right effects is a lot of the battle.

This is also true.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:34:14 PM »
If I become a great player that should straighten out my tone issues?

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
Congrats on the new OD.  Haven't heard of Walrus before. 

I am still real happy with the Ethos.  Like you said, makes my amp sound the way I want it to sound.  Nice organic progression from clean to a little break up, to OD.

Went to a jam Saturday night and played through a kind of odd rig.  Amp was a Quilter Tone Block into a 12" speaker.  Pedalboard had a switchbox with all fx in/out through the switchbox.  Had some kind of tubescreamer clone OD in play.    Really want to find a Solid State rig I can love.  But I didn't love this one.  Maybe the way he had it dialed in.  Sounded OK, when I listened to him play his 335 through it.  Just seemed "boxy", sterile.   Still think I could probably put my pedalboard in front of a tone block and get a good sound out of it.  But these days, I just take a guitar, when going to a jam.  I think its good exercise to play on whatever rig is there, and rely more on feel, melody, technique.    But sometimes it is a battle, dealing with tone/sustain/volume/mojo issues from a strange rig.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 06:08:08 PM »
Good luck finding a solid state amp you can "love".  I've never been able to find one I even like!

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 08:07:19 PM »
Well, the verdict is in!  The Walrus Voyager is easily the best pedal on my board.  No hiss or feedback, even when all the knobs are pinned, killer tone, sounds like an overdrive instead of a slightly tame fuzz box, easy to dial in, does a killer job of driving the other ODs and the distortion on my board, and it sounds killer with my JK-1 driving it!  I'm already looking to replace the MXR Classic Distortion I have after the Voyager with a Walrus Audio Mayflower.  If any of you have a used Mayflower you're looking to sell, I'm the man to meet!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
Well, the verdict is in!  The Walrus Voyager is easily the best pedal on my board.  No hiss or feedback, even when all the knobs are pinned, killer tone, sounds like an overdrive instead of a slightly tame fuzz box, easy to dial in, does a killer job of driving the other ODs and the distortion on my board, and it sounds killer with my JK-1 driving it!  I'm already looking to replace the MXR Classic Distortion I have after the Voyager with a Walrus Audio Mayflower.  If any of you have a used Mayflower you're looking to sell, I'm the man to meet!

Have to check out Walrus stuff.  Never heard of them, till recently.  I just saw one of those FB posts about someone getting their van broken into and gear stolen.  The guy's (stolen) pedalboard had a couple of Walrus pedals on it.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »
Mentioning the JK  1 .  Jeremy and his wife have fallen off the earth !  Even though him and his wife were the age of my children , we were friends and i have heard nothing from him in a few years. I hope life has been kind to them.  he has no internet presence anymore.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
I used the pedal with a band tonight for the first time.  As much as I liked it before, I like it way better than that now!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »
I used the pedal with a band tonight for the first time.  As much as I liked it before, I like it way better than that now!

That is always the test!  Seen lots of stuff that seemed like a good idea in the bedroom, or the studio, that just doesn't work with a live band.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Gave my JK-1 to a nationally touring group for exposure.  He has vanished.