Author Topic: Walrus Voyager Overdrive  (Read 6150 times)

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Walrus Voyager Overdrive
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 05:35:08 PM »
Just as I had imagined, the JK-1 was the perfect vehicle to drive the voyager pedal.  I was using the voyager alone and then kicking in the JK-1 for the solos.  Tone like you wouldn't believe!  Between them and the Firebird, I was free to focus on my playing, and not having to focus on my equipment at all.  It will be next month before I can order the Walrus Mayflower, but I'm hoping to give some of my MXR stuff the boot, and make room on the4 board for other stuff.  Another cool thing about the Walrus is no hiss when you aren't playing.  It's a really quiet pedal as far as unwanted noise.  One sad note however, Walrus has discontinued both the Mayflower and the voyager and expanding their line to become more commercially viable at the expense of no longer producing hand made pedals.  It's the same old story, a company builds a better mouse trap, and then when it catches on instead of leaving it alone, they always decide that they could make a lot more money cutting corners and sacrificing quality!  On the up-side, that will make the existing pedals a lot more collectable, and the price of used ones will shoot up. That doesn't matter much to me, I'm sure I won't be wanting to get rid of mine in the foreseeable future.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »
I called Jeremy yesterday ,no answer but later in the day he called me back.  He is still at the same music store ,repairing and modding guitars. He lives so far out he can't even get a cell ph signal and has  no internet. He did mention when he gets a chance he would check in here.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 01:45:28 PM »
Hey guys! I'm still ALIVE AND WELL! I talked to BH yesterday and thought I should drop in.

I still live out in the middle of nowhere, which I love. Been flying solo for almost two years now. I've been brushing up on my drum skills. A friend gave me an old set of '70s Tama Imperialstars with CONCERT TOMS! 14,15,16,18 and 24" kick drum. They are HUGE! First drum kit I've owned in 20 years, so I'm having a lot of fun with those. Still doing some pedal mods and building. I have a fuzz design that I'm doing, based on a Fuzz Face, with some tone tweaks and added controls for bias and low cut. Doing germanium and silicon versions of those on (built on eyeletboard like an old amp!). I have learned to do swirl finishes (I'll post some pics when I get a chance!) so the fuzzes look legitimately psychedelic! I haven't recorded anything of my own in a long time, so you guys haven't missed anything there, but I do some guitar work at a friend's studio from time to time.

OH! I almost forgot to mention that Joe Bonamassa paid us a visit when he was in town back in December! He bought a '52 (or thereabouts) Fender Dual Professional lap steel and a MINTY, MINTY '65 Champ. From Joe's Twitter feed:

Just finished stringing this ole girl!!

Day Off: Partying like its 1965

I'm glad to report that he's a totally down to earth gear nerd just like the rest of us!

I'll try to check back in and post some pics later.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »
HI ya Jeremy!!!!!!!!  Good to hear from you!  If at all possible, I would love to get a true bypass switch put in my JK-1.  When you did mine you hadn't quite wired that dealio down yet.  I'd be glad to pay whatever the damages were.  That thing is still an integral part of my board though I've changed almost everything else!  That's a pretty hard little pedal to beat!  Glad to hear you are doing well and happy!  Don't be such a stranger!  God Bless........

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »
Great to hear from you Jeremy!

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »
HI ya Jeremy!!!!!!!!  Good to hear from you!  If at all possible, I would love to get a true bypass switch put in my JK-1.  When you did mine you hadn't quite wired that dealio down yet.  I'd be glad to pay whatever the damages were.  That thing is still an integral part of my board though I've changed almost everything else!  That's a pretty hard little pedal to beat!  Glad to hear you are doing well and happy!  Don't be such a stranger!  God Bless........

PM Sent!

JKennemur

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
Here's some of my fancy lookin' piddles!

No Ken, I haven't done a guitar body yet.......I know your thinkin' it.......

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
That's what I was gonna ask...

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 02:13:42 PM »
Wow!  Digging the paint!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
That's what I was gonna ask...

You couldn't have a guitar painted like that, It would clash with your tie dye T shirt !
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 06:38:14 PM »
Hell!  That's the whole idea, isn't it?

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »
Hell!  That's the whole idea, isn't it?

Yea ,you could pull it off if you were wearing your skinny jeans  :blink:

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
These days all my jeans look skinny, I dropped about 40 Lbs.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 02:18:58 AM »
These days all my jeans look skinny, I dropped about 40 Lbs.

I picked up at least 1/2 of it.I hit 205 last week. My wife put me on a diet. Ate at the house all week.

At least you got a good reason to eat whatever you want. Start with a couple of large deluxe pizzas and a pitcher of beer and stop off for some ice cream.

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 05:18:22 AM »
I haven't had a drink in at least two months, maybe three.  Meanwhile, Bet his on a diet, so she's been feeding me healthy stuff.  I lost the weight before Linda passed, but it started trying to creep back up over the winter.  I recently dropped 15 of the 20 Lbs I gained, and I'm still losing weight.