Author Topic: Walrus Voyager Overdrive  (Read 5794 times)

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Walrus Voyager Overdrive
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »
Unexplained weight loss is not good. You should really try to put on some #'s.  When I was like 21 and still very active in sports, I weighed 180 and could go indefinitely by the time I reached my mid 20's ,I was at 205 and hitting happy hour every day with no interest in sports only chasing skirts.

In the early 90's , I put myself on a diet and went from 220 to 165. I took it a bit to the extreme and did not exercise which resulted in muscle loss. People thought I had aids. My body felt great @ 165 , it felt like it did when I was a kid.  I took a lot of flack from friends and family and put the weight back on.

i have been doing moderate weight lifting for over 2 years now , Im still fat in the middle but have gotten rid of my old man skinny legs and no ass syndrome. I also built up my chest ,shoulders and arms. Sometime in the future I will work on the middle. i finally came to the realization there is nothing more important thing I can do for myself than to exercise regularly. 
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
I haven't had a drink in at least two months, maybe three.  Meanwhile, Bet his on a diet, so she's been feeding me healthy stuff.  I lost the weight before Linda passed, but it started trying to creep back up over the winter.  I recently dropped 15 of the 20 Lbs I gained, and I'm still losing weight.

I've been experimenting with booze abstinence for a couple weeks, and have been losing weight, almost accidentally.  I guess just from cutting out a couple 100-200 calories a day.  I've never been a heavy drinker.  But having 1 or 2 had become an almost daily thing.  For as little as I drink, I've had way too many bad "day afters":  Tension/neck headaches, brain fog, lethargy, BP spikes.

Weight loss was a bit of a surprise.  I do remember a very heavy-drinking friend of mine going on a strict diet and losing 80 pounds.  Rule 1 was 'no alcohol', and he stuck to it.  Once he started drinking again (med-heavy), the weight came back.

Some people have or develop alcohol sensitivity or allergies.  And I almost never get anything good or fun from drinking.  Just groggy and foggy.  Maybe just the way I'm wired.

I've been working hard to control my blood pressure without meds.  And what really got me started on this was the question:  What if going 'dry' would help lower my BP?  Answer:  I would give it up in a heartbeat!  Not really that attached to it.

I don't expect to totally avoid alcohol, forever.  But, I am liking booze abstinence.  I didn't think I drank enough to matter, but my mental clarity has been better.   Better at getting things done.  Sleeping better.   Some physical ailments seem to be improving.  Mostly going to be more conscious of when and why I would decide to have a drink/wine/beer.  Which could be almost never!

DannyDV8

• 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
I've actually been trying to lose the weight, so no problem there.  I haven't had the yen to drink in a while.  When Linda was sick I had to e on top of my game, so I didn't drink for the most part for quite a while.  Afterward I figured the last thing I needed to do was to try and drown my sorrows, no good was going to come from that.  Now if I could just lose the urge to smoke......
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »
I've actually been trying to lose the weight, so no problem there.  I haven't had the yen to drink in a while.  When Linda was sick I had to e on top of my game, so I didn't drink for the most part for quite a while.  Afterward I figured the last thing I needed to do was to try and drown my sorrows, no good was going to come from that.  Now if I could just lose the urge to smoke......

Good on ya!  The stuff you've been through would have broke a lot of former drinkers.  I gave up the cigs 29 years ago, age 30.  Had brought my first baby home, and just couldn't raise him in a smokey house (no one went outside to smoke in those days!), in smokey cars,  with an example of smoking parents.  I saw him react to my second hand smoke once, and it grew into 'this changes now.'  My wife quit about a year later.

Hope you find your way off the cigs!  I have never regretted it.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 06:44:11 PM »
I managed to quit from July to late November and it messed with me the whole time like a scene out of "The Man With The Golden Arm".  I finally caved in around December, and now I'm smoking more than ever and enjoying it way less.....Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that the reason I failed was that I was using the patch, and vaping, so the nicotine never left my body.  I quit when Kris and I got together in '93, but I did it cold turkey.  It was rough for a few days, and every now and then I would get the urge to smoke, but I had it whipped.  When Kris wound up with bone cancer and passed away, I started smoking again in as much as I had quit for her, not so much for myself.  When I'm ready to put my toes out and cowboy up, I'll go cold turkey again.  Anything else and you're still keeping the monkey on your back, you're just not feeding him as much!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:04:15 PM by DannyDV8 »

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:48 AM »
Nicotine is the toughest addiction I ever kicked. I have been off cigs since 92. Prior to quitting in 92, I never smoked over 3 years consecutively, I had quit for  1 year, 2 years, 3 years and every increment in between.

The easiest way for me to break bond was intense exercise,lots of water and a steam room.

I could still smoke a Kool Filter King and enjoy it . If the doc ever gives me the terminal diagnosis, Im a smokin MF !
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 02:49:05 AM »
I was very bitten when Kris died.  She was an athlete, she didn't smoke, I never saw her have more than two drinks, she really took care of herself and played half a dozen sports a week.  When she died in my arms of the most horrible death I've ever seen, multiple myeloma, I figured I need a smoke and a whole lot of drinks, and I was hooked again.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 03:37:32 AM »
Hey Rich !  Speaking of smoking parents. My mom was 18 and my dad wad 19 when they had me. If it weren't for great grand parents I would have wound up in federal penitentiary.   

I remember being in the back seat of our 55 Ford  sick as hell from their smoke , complaining and being told to shut up . When my dad caught me smoking as a kid ,he beat hell out of me. people are crazy , he should have known I was already addicted from 2nd hand smoke.

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
My folks smoked 4 packs a day EACH!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
Hey Rich !  Speaking of smoking parents. My mom was 18 and my dad wad 19 when they had me. If it weren't for great grand parents I would have wound up in federal penitentiary.   

I remember being in the back seat of our 55 Ford  sick as hell from their smoke , complaining and being told to shut up . When my dad caught me smoking as a kid ,he beat hell out of me. people are crazy , he should have known I was already addicted from 2nd hand smoke.

My Mom was 15 and my Dad was 20.  They stepped up and became parents (6 kids across 10 years).  My Mom ended up pregnant about every year and a half.  People used to ask me if we were Catholic.  I didn't know what the hell they were talking about.  My Mom became a Grandma at 35.  I was the oldest, and it wasn't from me.  One of my younger sisters; actually #3.

The always smoked.  I was born in '55.  Growing up in the 60s, everyone smoked.  And they smoked anywhere they wanted.  I remember people walking around the grocery store with a cig in their mouth, ashes fall to the floor, snub the butt out on the floor.  Even most non-smokers kept ashtrays out for their friends.  We had a 57 Chevy.  I remember piling into that thing, both parents light up, with the windows up if it was cold.   I used to complain too!  It was really bad.   When I complained, they might crack the window a bit, or open the wing window.

The first time one of us got caught with cigs, my parents staged a little "scared straight" drama.  They put us all at the breakfast table and said, "OK you want to try out all this grown-up stuff?  Here is a cup of black coffee, and a cig.  Be sure and inhale the cig."  Trying to make us get sick from it.  Didn't have the desired effect.

They bought cigs by the cartoon, and when I decided to try it; it was nothing to lift one of their cigs out of a pack, or a whole pack out of the carton.  My Dad smoked Kools when I was a kid.  I remember Camel filters for awhile.  I started smoking daily by age 15.  By then, they had switched to Vantage.  They were HORRIBLE.  I liked Marlboros, but certainly lifted and smoked lots of those horrible Vantages.

My Dad died about a month after bypass surgery at age 55.  My Mom has had breathing problems forever, but blames it on "allergies and asthma".  Total denial.  She has had a lobe of her lung removed from lung cancer.  She was back on them within a month of leaving the hospital.  I use her as an example when talking to my two sons who smoke.  At least my daughter didn't take it up.  My brother and my sisters all smoke.  It was kind of a big deal to me, to break the cycle.