Author Topic: Lake of the Ozarks Blues Society gig  (Read 1502 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Lake of the Ozarks Blues Society gig
« on: May 13, 2015, 11:01:11 PM »
Played fun, but brutal one last night.  The brutal part was the drive.  140 miles/ 2-1/2 hours each way.

The Lake of the Ozarks Blues Society has a monthly jam, and the host band is paid, and paid pretty well for a weeknight gig.  And splitting 3 ways (Charlie B3 organ trio), made it work even better on money side.

Cool bar in a nice lake resort.  My second time playing for LOTOBS, so some familiar faces/jammers.  Our drummer in this group Ricky "Party" Hardy, rode with me.  Ricky is a 64 y/o black guy.  Singing drummer.  Sings blues and soul stuff the way all white guys wish they could. Also a veteran player who worked with all the black heavyweight blues guys in town.  So, 5 hours in the car of some pretty cool stories.

The blues society always starts out with an acoustic jam at 6, then we started at 7.  Got set up in plenty of time, and hung around the acoustic jam guys.  There was a guy playing a resonator.  Asked me to sit in and play his resonator, while he played some harp.  There was also a women playing flute (let the innuendo, begin.)   Man, don't need to be jonesin' about getting a resonator, but it was pretty cool!

Gig went real well.  Big crowd including the blues society, players, and people who were just there at the resort.   We did a strong hour set, and started working jammers in.  So, I had about an hour break before the guitar jammers ran their course.

Gig was 7-10, so back on the road around 11.  After dropping Ricky off, in the hood, back home at 2am.  Actually no worse than a 9-1 job at home would have been.  I am still on a total alcohol hiatus (3rd week, I think), and I think that made a huge difference in being able to get through the gig and the drive 3 hour gig, plus 5 hours of driving,following a day of work (I took off an hour early.)   Felt pretty good, even when getting up at 6am!

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Lake of the Ozarks Blues Society gig
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:26 PM »
Sounded like a great time. My excitement yesterday was, I won a bet with the wife for 1000.00

Sad side is I know what the price of sex will be next time.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:53:28 PM »
Sounds pretty cool!
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »
Sounded like a great time. My excitement yesterday was, I won a bet with the wife for 1000.00

Don't know about you, but any money I would receive from my wife, somehow originates from my own pockety.  Kind of all "our" money.  If I were to bet something with my wife, the stake would be something like "No f'ing home improvement projects for 5 years."  That would net me some real $$$. 

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
Sounds pretty cool!

It was a good and fun gig.  We've picked up another organ trio gig playing for a skydiving club party 5/24.  A Raildog gig at Lake Pomme De Terre June 6; then a couple of Laura Lisbeth gigs coming up.  This three band thing is starting to keep me busy!  (4 bands counting the celtic band that almost never gigs.)

The two Raildog drummers we've been using are not available for the June 6, so we are bringing in Mitch- the drummer from our Laura Lisbeth band, to 'cross-train' with the Raildog material.  Got together with Mitch last night and ran through a couple of (hour+) sets of stuff with hardly any hiccups.

Between the Monday night jam host, rehearsals for 2 or 3 working bands (the organ trio has only done 1 rehearsal to smooth out some wrinkles), gigs, and a little personal practice here and there, I'm starting to wear holes in my callouses.  And actually starting to see some improvement in my playing after a lot of long, long plateaus.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »

Don't know about you, but any money I would receive from my wife, somehow originates from my own pockety.  Kind of all "our" money.  If I were to bet something with my wife, the stake would be something like "No f'ing home improvement projects for 5 years."  That would net me some real $$$.

The girls own 1/2 the money and all the punani. We already balanced the books.
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »

The girls own 1/2 the money and all the punani. We already balanced the books.

I tell my wife:  What's mine is yours.  And, what's yours is yours.  Wait.   What?