Author Topic: Weekly Double.  (Read 1233 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Weekly Double.
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »
Starting with open mic tonight.  Have 7 people signed up to play already (and it starts in 6 hours)

Tomorrow afternoon, playing a solo jazz/blues gig at a farmers market

speedy and then slow.

And the alt/prog/rock band back at it, found a decent drummer who likes our original stuff and have a gig lined up.   So away we go!
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Double.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »
Starting with open mic tonight.  Have 7 people signed up to play already (and it starts in 6 hours)

Tomorrow afternoon, playing a solo jazz/blues gig at a farmers market

speedy and then slow.

And the alt/prog/rock band back at it, found a decent drummer who likes our original stuff and have a gig lined up.   So away we go!

Good to be busy!  I'm playing with 3 groups, including my Raildog band (which I'm not even actively hustling gigs for).  Played last Saturday night with Laura Lisbeth.  Playing this Saturday with Laura at a Farmers Market (1 1/2 hours - and pays like a 4 hour bar gig!!!); Sunday I'm playing with Charlie in the organ trio for a Sunday afternoon patio gig for an American Legion.  I was trying to keep next weekend open for a lake trip; but Laura scored a nice paying gig at nearby Pomme De Terre Lake next Friday; so I'll go to Stockton Lake and commute to the gig (did this a few weeks ago when my Raildog band played the same place).

Seriously thinking about letting the Raildog band just kind of spin down.  I've got two good bookings in August, and nothing else.  Bass player and keyboard player are starting to snip at each other, and I'm done mediating.  Charlie calls out Greg for every bass line he doesn't play 'right'.   Then Greg gets weird and babyish about being called out.  And both of 'em bend my ear about the other.  Don't really have a regular drummer.  Can't see a reason to get set up with a permanent drummer.  I think this band has run its course.   I need to have a band that is cycling in new material.  I can't stand doing the thing of rolling through the same 40-50 songs, gig after gig, month after month

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »
Starting off with a bang. Open mic musicians lined out the door.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »
Starting off with a bang. Open mic musicians lined out the door.

Sounds like its thriving!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:05:35 AM »
This was impressively cool.

Name up in lights.

Kind of a cool picture that shows the dual amp set up for my solo gigs.  The Vox 2 watter is set up on the brighter channel, really quiet.  The Champ is set at 10.  Great blend of tones.  Driving with the turnip greens always on.  Brought the small PA and was able to drive the sound throughout the entire farmers market.  Was a paid gig and people were tipping very generously.  Used the tips to by some great fresh produce, pay for gas, take the wife out for dinner, buy more produce and have enough left over to think about getting a backup transparent overdrive.   

Was told by multiple people, best music ever at the farmers market. 

Had a guy come up to me while I was playing complimented me on my tone.

Only failure was that I had my recorder with and forgot to set it up.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
Cool!  That is a pretty unique dual amp setup!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »
Just so wish I would have recorded to give everyone an idea of how they blend.  The Fender champ is at a little break up to start so it gives a nice full tone.  The speaker and tube changes and feedback mod make this amp sound great at the verge of break up.  The vox is set clean, so you get this blend of clean with high end and full tone.  Tones that are overdriven sustain longer and higher frequencies are present, but do not sustain long. The whole thing is not muddy, but clear and defined.  The soul food side of the turnip greens is set with the drive almost off which gives it only a tiny amount of harmonic clipping.    Had a great mix of both through the PA and was totally happy about the tone.