Author Topic: Been hooking up with my old girlfriend  (Read 2445 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Been hooking up with my old girlfriend
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »
Yep, been playing the ES-330. 

My wife is on a cruise with her mom and sis, and friends, and moms, and daughters-- a total of 15 women.  (My apologies to Navigator of the Seas, and Jamaica, Cozumel and the Caymans, for whatever permanent damage they've left.)

So, I've had a little extra 'alone' time to just lounge around.  I was watching the Royals game the other night, and wanted a guitar to plink around on.  Something made me think of the ES-330, alone in the dark closet.  I'd forgotten how great that thing is for just playing acoustically!!!  From the time I was 15, until about 20/, it was my main/only guitar.  I bought my Les Paul when I was 20, I bought my LP, and the 330 has pretty much taken a back seat ever since.

Wide and thin neck is a joy to play.  As long as you can do without upper fret access, anyway.  And it always makes me want to bone up on my jazz chords, too.

I plugged it in, and it seemed really noisy.  I thought "curse of the p90s", or something wrong my my guitar wiring, and went back to the ballgame.  We had Laura band practice at my house on Tuesday, and I noticed that my whole rig had a nasty 60 cycle hum.  Crap, I had plugged my amp into the wrong circuit.  I have a ground differential issue in my house.  If my amp is in one circuit and my pedalboard in another-- bad hum.  Easily solved by plugging both into the same circuit.

Got the 330 out and plugged her in again, NO NOISE PROBLEM!  A little more than my humbucker guitar, but nothing to worry about.  And in the middle pup position, even that disappears.  So, I played through the Laura practice with the 330, and loved every second of it!!!  Everything from sweet to snarl.

The sound from this guitar has always been a little "in your face".  Kind of like when you first play guitar-cable-amp into a clean amp, after years of OD and distortion pedals.  No fuzz, no compression, nowhere to hide, just you and your technique.  That 'in your face', 'here is exactly what you played', vibe has always put me off a little.  I think my playing, technique, etc has finally matured to the point that I'm ready to really enjoy this guitar!  I've been doing our Monday jam, strictly guitar-cable-amp, and its paying off.

Got a rehearsal tonight with the blues organ trio  (The Charlie B 3), and taking the old girlfriend.   Got a gig with Laura Saturday, and a gig with Charlie Sunday.  I think the redhead is going with me on both gigs.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Been hooking up with my old girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 02:10:06 AM »
love a hollow body tone.  Played my 137 at my show today and just love how it sings.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »
love a hollow body tone.  Played my 137 at my show today and just love how it sings.

Yep, a real musical instrument, rather than a slab of wood with strings and pups.  What really re-hooked me on this guitar is how much fun it is to play unamplified.  And somehow reconnecting with 15 year old 'me', staying up late playing this guitar in my basement bedroom long after my folks went to bed.  Never needed to plug it in for practice.  And, this thing is so light!  My left should is very happy!

Playing a 330 with high gain-- its a chore to keep it from feeding back.  But, I don't use so much gain anymore, and I'm pretty comfortable with a pretty dry and clean guitar sound.  (This guitar sounds great with high gain too, but you sometimes have to do a constant palm mute to keep the strings from howling.)  Going to get her out for 2 gigs this weekend, and maybe a jam!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »
Well, I've played a gig with the organ trio, and one with Laura Lisbeth group, all on the ES-330.  Also did a jam host gig with her!  The regular gigs were with my pedalboard (full time Ethos pedal), and my Egnater 30(clean channel).  The jam host was just guitar-cable-amp, into a Fender Blues Jr.

It doesn't quite stay in tune as well as my LP, but good enough.  And between clip on tuners and my PB, there is always a quick and silent way to check/fix tuning in a matter of seconds.

In the organ trio, we are doing some R&B stuff, and the 330 really excels at that.  Some of Laura's material is vaguely/slightly country-ish, and it excels there too.

And the big bonus!  The the 330 is light.  After an hour+ set with the LP, it is always a huge relief to take that off my shoulder.  The 330 still feels light as a feather after doing a whole gig with her.

Playing with Laura at Lake Pomme De Terre, Friday night.  Taking the 330, the LP, and an acoustic.  Expect the LP will sit on the stand all night again.  Hope she(the LP) doesn't develop resentment issues!  She's been #1 for a long time.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »
Just ordered a new set of nylon saddles for the 330.  These were common in the late 50s and 60s.  Many guys swapped them out for metal saddles, brass, ss, nickel.  I've come to accept the nylon saddle as part of the mojo of this guitar.  It doesn't dull the high end, like you might assume it would.  Though, I've read that Joe Bonamasa puts nylon saddles the the high three strings (GBE) to tame some 'harshness' in his les pauls. 

The saddle under my G string is broken.  I noticed it a couple string changes back, and had forgotten.  I was able to put the pieces together in the bridge.  Between the string pressure, and the surrounding bridge structure, it holds together; and stays in place for intonation.

Couldn't find any nylon saddles at Stew-Mac.  Was looking at Tonepros.  They make a replacement bridge, with nylon saddles, but do not sell the saddles by themselves.  Found some at guitar-parts.com, and also allparts.com.  $24 for a set of 6.  I was thinking about the tonepros bridge at $82.  I guess I earned $58 to squander some other way!

When they come in, I will take guitar and saddles to my tech, and have him slot them for me.

This guitar has become my goto guitar for everything.  I have no desire to even mess with putting metal saddles on her.  It is so perfect for the organ trio, where we are doing stuff like Meters, some old soul/R&B, Booker T., etc.  Guitar-Amp into a blues junior.  Great retro tones all day long.  Never even notice the P90 hum.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »
The other day I saw a 330 with a long scale neck and dog ear pups.  That would work for me.
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 05:42:12 PM »
The other day I saw a 330 with a long scale neck and dog ear pups.  That would work for me.

The limited upper access kind of sucks.  I can play G position above the octave, but A and higher is a no-go.  I've heard stories about the long scale versions of the 330 buckling in half because of too much tension/too little support with no center block. I'm OK with mine being short.

Did you see a newer (reissue) or an older one?  Even the older ones never got crazy in valuation.   

I'm loving mine these days!  A great guitar to play on acoustically. And gig-wise, I've played country, rock, blues, jazz, and everything in between on it; and she just shines at it.  And with just a little gain, she'll feedback and howl all day long.

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:44:16 AM »
Actually, I think it was a Heritage.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 01:50:46 AM »

Heritage 530?  I've read about them.  Never seen or played one in person.  People really like 'em.

BH

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 02:40:15 AM »

Heritage 530?  I've read about them.  Never seen or played one in person.  People really like 'em.

They are a by product of Gibson moving to Nashville, closing their Kalamazoo MI plant and the locals efforts to save their jobs.

You know what they say!  If it's Hillbilly Built It's the Best!
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Blueshonky  2013

DannyDV8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »
I did' have time to play it as I was trying to pull off a deal on yet another sparkly guitar. I'll have to get them to pull it out of the glass case and let me put it through it's paces.