Author Topic: Anyone gigging this weekend.  (Read 1205 times)

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Anyone gigging this weekend.
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »
Have a show Friday night and saturday during the afternoon.  Should be home in time to get 5 hours of sleep before getting up Sunday.
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone gigging this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
Nothing so far.  A couple of things came up, but I wasn't interested.  Besides that my doggies need me at home because I have it on good authority that the sky is falling!
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:10:51 PM »
Not me.  I try to avoid holiday weekends for bar gigs.  Everyone out of town, and the band gets blamed for not drawing.  Better off just enjoying the holiday. 

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
Not me.  I try to avoid holiday weekends for bar gigs.  Everyone out of town, and the band gets blamed for not drawing.  Better off just enjoying the holiday.

I remember many years ago getting scheduled to do a gig July 4 from 1 to 4 at  a new bar.  The owner so didn't want to pay us because the draw was so bad.  That started a bunch of band drama and was the last gig we ever did.  Ended up that the leader of the band negotiated (after the gig) 50% payment because of the turnout.  It was the last gig I did with a "professional" band that was in it to support their lifestyle. 
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

DannyDV8

• Thems the Blues: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »
Back in the '80s these dumb broads bought out a bar that my group had been the house band in for some time.  We started playing gigs for them, and that had gone on for some time when one Christmas rolled around.  They wanted us to play Christmas Eve, and I tried to explain to the blonde lesbo that my guys all had kids, and family and wanted to be with them, and that no one but a total loser was going to hang out at a bar for Christmas Eve.  It was to no avail as she begged me to take the gig.  Not having kids, or family left living at the time, and being a total loser, I begrudgingly took the booking.  Naturally when we played it was to a damned near empty house, and at the end of the night one of the owners, (who was at home with friends and family) had instructed her bartender to get funny with the money because of the poor turnout at the gig I begged her not to ask me to take.  Never having to have been one to dampen the Christmas spirit, I called her up and explained to her that my guys, (not me, you understand) were all behind the bar with bar stools and that unless I got the dough they were going to bust every bottle in the place.  We not only got paid immediately but we played there New Years Eve as well, and remained the principle house band for many years to come.  You can negotiate anything
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:48:35 PM by DannyDV8 »
They call it the Blues, but the shit makes me SMILE!

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »
Many bar owners have become smart enough to cut back on live entertainment on holiday weekends, when everyone around here is either 'at the lake', at some family deal, or at some holiday related deal.  I naively took holiday weekend bookings a few times, played to a pretty empty room, and heard the owner moan and groan.  Lesson learned!

Sounds like you had some similar experience, Danny!

In a related story...   The big party lake here-- Lake of the Ozarks is not a flood control lake (actually a corporate-owned power generation lake).  People own property right on the water, and build close to the water.  Bars and restaurants right on the water, etc.  Due to a steady stream of big rainstorms this spring/summer, the lake is like 4 feet high, which is extremely unusual for that lake.

The Governor has declared the whole lake a "no wake zone", meaning only idle speed, about 5mph.  This is to keep the big waves from boat wakes from tearing up all the stuff that is submerged, or unintentional shore line.  Lake of the Ozarks is full of big high powered boats.  Kind of puts a damper on those guys.  They will lift the speed limit as soon as the water recedes enough.

KenBJammen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
Funny driving home though, passed about 10 bars and 9 were empty and one *with a band, was jam packed with people standing outside. 

Long weekend with one more day to go!