Author Topic: Had 2 outdoor gigs this weekend. One rainout, one scorcher.  (Read 748 times)

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Had 2 outdoor gigs with Laura, scheduled this weekend.  We were playing for a Relay for Life event Saturday.  Supposed to play at 8:30pm, so planned on getting there to setup around 6/6:30.  Around 5:30 an angry thunderstorm moved through.  The place we were supposed to play was only a couple miles from me, so I did a drive by.  The remaining people were huddled in a shelter house.  The field where the events were happening was very muddy.  The DJ was in the process of fleeing.  The "stage" looked like 6 folding tables jammed together-- more like a drum riser.  Absolutely no cover.  And likely more storms.    Went back home, and had a few rounds of messages.  Hadn't received a cancel msg yet.  Just getting walking to my van to leave, and got the cancel msg. 

Yay!  This was a pretty poorly organized thing from the start.  We had to spoon feed them everything about what we needed.  And they still kept getting stuff wrong at every turn.  And when I saw that the stage wasn't even adequate to keep us out of the mud, I was ready for them to cancel.  Else I may have to refuse put myself and my gear in the mud.

Sunday, we played on The Plaza.  Topped out around 97 degrees, with lots of humidity.  We started out in the sun, but they got a portable shade/tent thing over us in the first set.  Nice gig.  Paid well.   And we weren't supposed to solicit or accept tips.  But we had a small merch display with CDs, and people kept coming up and putting money in the box.

This coming Friday, we are playing a deal in Dighton, KS (far western KS).  It is an all-year high school reunion, town party, kind of thing.  Laura is orignally from Ness City, KS, a neighboring town.  There are two sisters in Dighton with a big trust fund.  Apparently, their parents were killed in a Las Vegas helicopter accident many years ago, hence the trust fund.  They are paying us extremely well, and taking care of all food, lodging, etc.   Should be fun!

KenBJammen

• Administrator
  • 10,000 post club (Chuckinator 5K's layer)
  • Thems the Blues: +4/-0
  • If you ain't in the forums you in the againstums
    • View Profile
Re: Had 2 outdoor gigs this weekend. One rainout, one scorcher.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »
Glad the cancel message got to you before you started moving stuff.  few years ago I moved stuff first and then realized the show was going to be canceled due to weather.   Hunkered down with the stuff while the storm blew over.  Stupid move and learning for me.   Doing a 2 hour solo deal again this week at the farmers market.  Going to bring a tip jar this time. 

Keep on playing till that guitar smoke!
Does anyone ever read these things.  I have some guitars, some amps and some effects but none of them play the guitar for me.... Yet.

RichR

• BAB Forum Superguru
  • Thems the Blues: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Had 2 outdoor gigs this weekend. One rainout, one scorcher.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »
Glad the cancel message got to you before you started moving stuff.  few years ago I moved stuff first and then realized the show was going to be canceled due to weather.   Hunkered down with the stuff while the storm blew over.  Stupid move and learning for me.   Doing a 2 hour solo deal again this week at the farmers market.  Going to bring a tip jar this time. 

Keep on playing till that guitar smoke!

Yeah, if I had gone there and unloaded, I would expect to be paid.  At least half.  As it is, we might have turned down another gig(but we didn't), so it is potentially lost pay opportunity.  Goes with the territory on outdoor gigs.  Especially if they provide no cover for the stage area!

On the tip thing...   Our Plaza gig contract specifically said that we are not allowed to solicit or accept tips.  They paid well, so OK.  We definitely did not solicit.  But we had lots of folks walk up an put money in our CD box (CD's for sale).  I wasn't going to stop playing in order to stop people from throwing money at us.